Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 14:51

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing

I don't know about you, but when I was a kid, we always had salad with dinner. And our favorite dressing was Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing. It was so fun to make and it tasted great.

So recently, I bought a couple of the cruets and of course they came with 2 packages of the dressing each.

I decided to try the dressing to see if it still tastes as good as I remember. I didn't look at the ingredients or the nutrition statement before I tried it.

It was sooooo sweet! I couldn't get over it. I used to love the stuff, but now it tastes almost like candy to me. Yuck! I threw out the three packets I had left.

So I checked the nutrition statement and the ingredients (first ingredient is sugar of course) and it has too many carbs per serving for my peace of mind (as of this writing I forget what it was).

But not to be undone, I decided to surf the net for a clone and I found one. And of course, one of its largest ingredients is sugar. Well I modified it, took out the sugar, and I am so pleased with the result, which tastes the way I remember Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing tasted like when I was a kid, that I'm posting it here:

1/4 teaspoon dried carrot (instructions to follow)
1/4 teaspoon dried red bell pepper
1 teaspoon lemon pepper (I use McCormick lemon pepper with garlic and onion, it doesn't have sugar in it, just make sure whatever one you use has lemon juice solids in it pretty high up on the list)
1/8 teaspoon dried parsley flakes, well crumbled
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons dry, unsweetened pectin
1 pinch ground oregano

This makes enough for one bottle of dressing. Of course you can make up a bunch of it, in which case, you want to measure out about 5 teaspoons for a bottle. The pectin is about 1/3 gram of carbohydrate per teaspoon, so it adds a negligible amount. What it does for the dressing is thicken it up a little and keep it from separating so fast.

To make the dried carrot and red bell pepper:

Grate and mince a couple carrots and a bell pepper into very small pieces, don't mix them together. Spread them out thin on a baking pan and dry in the oven set to 250 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes, or until all of the pieces are completely dry but not browned. Store the excess in an airtight container. You can also dry them in your dehydrator by putting them on parchment or plastic wrap.

Let me know how you like it,
;-Deb

Last edited by DebPenny : Thu, Jun-05-03 at 14:55.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 16:01

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 168/155/135
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hey, I am going to try that! I grew up with that salad dressing.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 16:38

BF:
Default Comfort food

It's one of those comfort/emotional foods for me. I have certain foods I remember from my childhood that every once in a while I have to try to recreate. This one is nice because it's low-carb.

Thanks for the note, Laura.

;-Deb
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 17:39
ArtificiallyFlavored

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Question

Do you add that mix to an oil and vinegar mix to make the dressing? I'm looking for a good mix to keep on hand to make up some dressing on the fly. Also, what kind of oil is everyone using in their dressings and how do you store them? (oilve oil hardens in the fridge)

Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 18:43

BF:

Hi, Risha. Here's the actual salad dressing preparation instructions if you don't have a Good Seasons cruet:

Pour 1/4 cup of vinegar into a cruet or jar. Add 3 tablespoons of water, then the dressing mix. Seal and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds. Add 1/2 cup of oil and shake until well blended.

I use red wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. I don't refrigerate it. The dressing will keep for a month or so.

A good-quality olive oil will keep for several months without going rancid. You need to store it away from light and heat. But you should never refrigerate olive oil.

Actually, I go through olive oil so fast, what with using it in cooking and dressings, it never has time to go rancid.

;-Deb

Last edited by DebPenny : Sun, Jun-08-03 at 18:45.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 20:47
ArtificiallyFlavored

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default THANK YOU

I was wanting to make up some dressing in a big batch and not have to fix little batches every time I have salad (every day) and then waste the left overs... You made my day.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 13:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 303.5/283.5/170 Female 5'11'
BF:
Progress: 15%

i can't wait to try this!! i was just searching, hoping to find some italian dressing recipe, and i found a replacement for my VERY favorite! thanks so much Deb!

and thanks for the tip about refrigerating olive oil. i had no idea why my dressing was getting congealed!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 21:43

BF:
Default A few notes

I'm glad you all are interested in the recipe. I've been making it for several months now and I've made a few changes. This is how I do it now:

1/2 teaspoon dried carrot
1/2 teaspoon dried red bell pepper
2 teaspoons lemon pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano, ground up in a mortar and pestle
1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon pectin

I mix this with:

1/3 cup red wine vinegar to which I add enough water to make 1/2 cup
1 1/2 cups olive oil

I have a 1 pint vinegar bottle that I now use as my salad dressing cruet. This recipe is a double recipe of the one above.

Also, I said above that there was about 1/3 gram carbs to a teaspoon of pectin. That's wrong. I finally found out the real count: 1/4 teaspoon = 1 gram carbs. So it works out to about 1 gram carbs per tablespoon of dressing.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-13, 10:16

Stats: 205/190/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Am curious because the carb counts I find online only show 1 for the good seasons regular Italian? I make my own dressings too...but seriously like their regular (not zesty) blend and have not seen it as a problem before? Thanks for any info...
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-13, 10:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think, unless you're using special pectin, you can omit the pectin. Normal pectin doesn't work without sugar. Maybe that is why they put it in the salad dressing mix?

You could use a little bit 1/4 tsp or so, of xanthan gum instead.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-13, 11:03

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

There's a brand of salad dressing mix I've used for years in my old Good Seasons cruets called Homemade Dressings. They're sugar-free, all natural ingredients (no gums or pectin) and awesome. They're not cheap--a three-pack will run you about $17--but the flavor and convenience is well worth it. You can buy them at Amazon.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-13, 12:04

Stats: 205/190/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandalayVA
There's a brand of salad dressing mix I've used for years in my old Good Seasons cruets called Homemade Dressings. They're sugar-free, all natural ingredients (no gums or pectin) and awesome. They're not cheap--a three-pack will run you about $17--but the flavor and convenience is well worth it. You can buy them at Amazon.

Looks wonderful and really isn't pricey...that $17 gets a three pack and that makes 24 cruets-full...so even if I make it double strength I oughta get 12...so not bad. . Will be ordering this....thanks!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-14, 23:18

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Thanks for the recipe, Deb! and for the Amazon Homemade, Mandalay...I WILL be ordering that!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-14, 13:31

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
You could use a little bit 1/4 tsp or so, of xanthan gum instead.

Thanks, Nancy. I just got some xanthan gum yesterday, and I wondered how much to use in a recipe like this.