Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 08:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default A Whole Fish

I want to cook a whole fish. I've seen various things done, like the fish is encased in rock salt and cooked, that looked really interesting. But it is hard to find whole fish these days. I see them in oriental markets often, but I worry about the quality. If they're coming from china they may be suspect (Judging from what I'm reading from the FDA rejecting fish from China for pollutants, pesicides and garbage like that).

Any ideas on where one might find good whole fish in San Diego? I might have to pay and arm and a leg for one!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 08:48
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

I don't know about San Diego, but when I lived in Newport Beach years ago, we used to go down to the beach in the morning when the "dory fleet" came in to buy very fresh seafood. Surely there must be something like that at the coast in San Diego?

Kay
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 08:57
Experimenter

BF:

Hmmm.... good question. I know there used to be fishing fleets that'd come into downtown but I think they've moved them elsewhere. It's all recreational fishing now. I'll look into it, maybe it went further south, not so trendy down that way.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 09:04
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Try googling for "fresh seafood, San Diego". Here's one I found:

Kay
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 09:10
Experimenter

BF:

We have these fish-restaurant/fish-sellers like that, but they're extremely expensive usually. I like your idea of buying it right from the docks.

I don't think there's a fishing fleet in san diego any longer. It's all sport fishing now.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 10:38

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 000/200/000 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:

Go to the NSWC and ask one of the instructors to catch some for ya, they're all atleast level C-D SERE qualified

Or just buy a couple of bags of m&m's and have one of the recruits do it for ya

But seriously, just ask one of the fishermen, we're always willing to sell or rent a boat and start fishing.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 11:12

Plan: a mixture
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Nancy are there not whole fish in your hfs? we have them in any store that sells fish and I don't think I've ever lived anywhere that didn't
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 11:30
Experimenter

BF:

There probably are but I expect they'll be really pricey. I was kind of thinking of trying one of the oriental stores instead... but I have concerns about quality.

Rethinking this... maybe I should start with fillets until I get my fish cooking skills perfected. I'd hate to ruin an expensive whole fish.

Maybe I should just go on a fishing trip! Gosh, that'd be so much fun.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 22:26

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I actually think you can get them at sam's club or super walmarts if you have any of those close by. Don't know that they would have many different kinds available but I know I have at least seen them there.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 06:58

Plan: a mixture
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

actually nancy whole fish fillets are always going to be cheaper than individual cuts, always
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 08:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/125/115 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hey, fellow San Diegan! Point Loma Seafood is a great place to buy fish, and isn't too expensive. My DH and I also occasionally go to an Asian market near our home and buy a whole fish when we're not buying other stuff there. Yeah, its kind of stinky there, but the quality is good and my DH knows what to look for in a fresh fish and what to avoid. We once bought a whole bass and he baked it in the oven like Mario Vitalie (sp?) showed on tv.
You could also try taking up fishing. It's fun and last summer we caught around 70 fish of various sorts in the "good" part of San Diego Bay (Mission Beach, right near the Tern Refuge). We still have a few left in our freezer.
In 2 weeks, we're going to Oklahoma to visit his brothers, and plan to catch a bunch of bass. Don't know how we're going to get them home since we're going by plane this time, but we'll figure something out.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 08:37
Experimenter

BF:

Cool! Thank Uliana, I'll check that play out. I used to love fishing when I was a kid. When you go fishing in SD do you fish off the pier or is it a boat?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 09:06

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Okay, I'm having a DUH moment. Someone remind me what "DH" stands for. I understand it to be husband or significant other. But what does it really mean?

Dearest Hubby?
Dang Husband"
Dufus Head?

Thanks
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 09:35
Experimenter

BF:

Dear Husband, I think.

Although it probably means doofus head sometimes.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 08:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/125/115 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 52%

We haven't gone pier fishing in a couple years, ever since DH finally decided to believe me and try for that area, because I told him for years that when I was in high school, I remember seeing a guy fishing there (he had a full stringer of croaker). Our method of fishing is rather unorthodox: We wade out to our waists to the drop-off at the coming tide (which at times is 5 am!) and cast out . People in boats give us the oddest looks, but that's where the fish are. Last year, DH and I bought a little rubber dingy we sometimes paddle out to slightly deeper water. I prefer wading, since that little boat is rather cramped.

DH and I catch croaker, surfperch, mackeral, the ocassional corbina , sand bass (which aren't that good...rather rubbery unless cooked for a long time, though they put up a good fight). We haven't been lucky enough to catch a halibut yet, but it doesn't stop us from trying.

Several things are not so fun with our method of fishing, though. The water is COLD, when fishing with the coming tide, you have to keep backing up so you can cast and I once stepped on something that wriggled madly away. I had visions of stingrays in my head at that moment, and almost fell over as I screamed in a panic. It was very scary, but must not have been a stingray, because I wasn't stung.

Well, I hope that helps.