Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 12:33

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainerdan
When it all comes down to it creatine is creatine. Some are just better than others.

If you stick to reputable brands (prolab is cool), you'll be fine.

Also, the value of the pump from creatine can't be dismissed. I am a firm believer in fascial stretching to promote muscle growth, and a good creatine pump is good for strecthing the fascia.

But, as Lisa said, the big bang from creatine is through its effect with the CP --> ATP cycle.

Riceboi, your results are fantastic! Keep hitting the iron man! You're training split is looking good (4 days, with 1 day HIIT, and an active rest/cross training swimming day).

One of the reasons i chose prolab is because of it's decent price for a reputable brand (600grams for 22.99 canadian)... need to save a bit for my protein, and other supplements

Thanks buddy! pretty much (nearly) reached my desired bodyweight... but probably need to lose a little more fat and start my massing phase (hopefully a clean one hehe, i don't want to gain too much fat)...

Just wondering, why is it necessary for bodybuilders to go through cycles wherein you mass (and also gain a lot of fat for off season) then cut for on season? Is this the only way to get great gains? Is it possible to just be cut all the time (this is what i want) and have a decent body size?

It's so satisfying benching my own bodyweight (flat and decline... still can't do it on the incline)... i'll keep on lifting
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 14:15

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

The bulk and cut method is argued alot, but I like it.

Basically, it all comes down to how big do you want to get?

If you are dieting alot, you don't take in the calories needed to lay down serious muscle mass. Of course, when you bulk, you add fat. So, enter the "cutting phase" to strip the fat away so you can see the muscle you just worked so hard for.

I *usually* bulk from October to December, cut Jan to April, maintain/tweak it from May - August, and then transition during September.

Once I get as big as I would like, or until my body won't let me get any bigger, I will hit a maintenance phase where I hold at 10% year round and if I need to get ready for summer, I can drop to 8% or so.

So yes, you can hold good size and still be cut. I just am not as big as I would like to be yet (see my signature). LOL.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 00:26
Modified :)

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Sorry to bumpity bump an old thread, but I have a question about creatine.

I'm doing Atkins and am going to start BFL in the next couple of weeks (thanks mikeqtoo!)

I talked to my supplements mail order company about creatine and LC and they said that creatine monohydrate requires dextrose and insulin spike to deliver correctly after workout and that most of the products (if not all) come pre-mixed with dextrose.

They recommended SAN V12 which is creatine malate and doesn't need dextrose (but is much more expensive)

Any thoughts?

Thanks
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-04, 11:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/170/155 Male 6'
BF:26%/17%/8%
Progress: 74%

i too am curious
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-04, 23:06

Plan: NHE/UD2/General LC
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 6'
BF:10/6/?
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_boi
Just wondering, why is it necessary for bodybuilders to go through cycles wherein you mass (and also gain a lot of fat for off season) then cut for on season? Is this the only way to get great gains? Is it possible to just be cut all the time (this is what i want) and have a decent body size?

Don't be afraid to try mini bulk/cut cycles. I do 2 weeks bulk, 2 weeks cut.
It's mostly about calories: If you are trying to gain mass without fat: 2 weeks high, 2 weeks maintenance
When trying to mantain/build muscle while reducing bf: 2 weeks maintenance, 2 weeks low calorie.

It works for me.

Also, I take 'regular' creatine monohydrate. Weider brand. I believe it works also... even without carbs. But I also take it during carbups.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-04, 05:58
Get’n Skinny

Plan: BFL
Stats: 255/211/190 Male 73  (6'1")
BF:40%/30%/lower
Progress: 68%

Here’s an FAQ about creatine. I like that it lists dozens of company’s products and gives a break down in price per gram.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/creatine.html