Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 10:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Weekly Support Thread 10/25

Hi Everyone, I had a good OP weekend and still smoke free. Hope everyone has a GREAT week and we all stay on plan.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 11:25

Plan: CAD
Stats: 250/245/200 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi, I hope you don't mind if I join your thread.

I have just started CAD and I am feeling so gross. I guess it is no surprise as I am used to 6 coffee with two sugar each and a 2 litre of coke a day besides my normal high carb diet.

Struggling through today here at work, I can't wait to get home and go to bed. I am not hungry or want to eat carbs, I am just feeling gross.

Susan
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 11:28
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

IAteIt
Sorry you're feeling so bad. It will pass, but it will take a while. You're going through major caffeine withdrawal. You can drink black coffee.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 11:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Welcome Susan, Sounds to me like your flu symptoms may be coming from lack of caffiene and not lack of carbs. Try black coffee, and make your one sweetened (SF Torani, or SF Davinci or Splenda) coffee in under 15 minutes a larger one. Some have Diet pop with their meals also, for me it's diet coke or diet mountain dew. If you feel the need to go off of caffiene make sure you ween yourself off and not just do it cold turkey. I also find that cutting out sugary carbs at RM for a little while helps in the beginning to control myself.

Anyway I am sure you know some of this already, good luck and keep in touch here. We can all use the support from each other.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 11:44
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi Susan-
Of course you can join in. I agree with the prior posts: you are having caffeine and sugar withdrawal. The coke alone would do it, but coke and coffee.....
Please look at the stickies from Zuleika- they are really helpful to everyone. Also reread CAD for support. We're here too.
Eno
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 11:45
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

WOW! I can't believe that CAD is soooo easy. My clothes are getting looser, I am sleeping better at night and have more energy during the day. I am SO happy!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 12:30

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Hello :)

Welcome, Iateit. Wow, that is a lot of caffeine and sugar you are withdrawing from all at once. I agree that some black coffee would be in order to help wean you off gradually. Good luck with that!

I'm doing fine today. Had a pleasant weekend. Went for a Chinese buffet yesterday for my RM, so my weight is up a bit this morning but my average for last week was down a bit, so that's ok

Have a great week all.

Tracy
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 18:21

Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

I did it! I finally got back into the grove of CAD. I really wanted that cocoa puff last night (there was one on the counter gross I know but the counter was cleanhehe) anyway I didn't eat it and I kept telling myself all day I can have it tonight! I waited and did very well today...had no major cravings and then had a nice RM with cocoa puffs as my dessert. I left out carby veggies and any other carbs so that I could have a balanced meal even with the cocoa puffs included...I feel great having made it through the day staying on plan so well.

I am sore from yesterdays exercise too so tonight I will go easy and just do leg lifts and stretches sit-tups etc. This success may sound small but for me it is really big!!!
Have a great week

wow 6 cups of coffee and coke?!!! I would never sleep!!! I have trouble with just alittle caffeine!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 18:58
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre3teach
I did it! I finally got back into the grove of CAD. I really wanted that cocoa puff last night (there was one on the counter gross I know but the counter was cleanhehe) anyway I didn't eat it and I kept telling myself all day I can have it tonight! I waited and did very well today...had no major cravings and then had a nice RM with cocoa puffs as my dessert. I left out carby veggies and any other carbs so that I could have a balanced meal even with the cocoa puffs included...I feel great having made it through the day staying on plan so well.

Congrats pre3teach,

Yep, I know what you mean.

I bought a box of chocolate cookies Saturday. Yesterday we visited my daughter's ice cream shop. We brought her supper, since she had to work late and so we ate with her and then I had an ice cream for dessert. I did not open the box of cookies until tonight. I ate low carb for breakfast and lunch and then had chicken and bell pepper shish kabobs and a non-starchy veggie and a salad for supper. I hadn't had my coffee. At the end of supper, I had my cup of coffee and 2 cookies and it was like being in HEAVEN. This WOE is not only easy, but makes me FEEL GOOD!

Last edited by fluffybear : Mon, Oct-25-04 at 19:26. Reason: spelling correction
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 07:18

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

Good Morning everyone

Amy- WTG on the no smoking! Great job!

Susan- If you can bare to get through acouple days you should start to fee better. I do have dt dr pepper every morning for the caffine and it hasn't stalled me as of it

Hello to Zule & Eno nice to see you two gals dropping in

Fluffybear- CAD is the only plan that I coudl live with, and I feel great like that also. I need less sleep when I am on CAD and that's a bonus with 2 little ones

Karen- WTG staying OP! Good job! Keep up the good work

Tracy- that's what I love about this plan the most is the fact that you can go out to eat even Chinese or Mexican and still be OP. CAD truly is wonderful! Great job on the weight loss!

I am doing good. Holding steady this week, which is fine with me. I tend to only lose 2 wks of the month anyway. That's just the way my body is I got a part-time job for the evenings to help out. DH is going to have his hands full taking care of 4 boys and feeding them supper each night. I am not sure how my RM will go and what kind of break I will have at work, but I plan on using my RM for while I am there. I am past the "I have to eat while I have 60 mins syndrome". Thanks goodness. My RMs are usually done within 20-30 minutes so I don't think eating during break at work will be a problem.

I better go, I have to run my little one to the dr to get his 2nd flu shot. I'd rather stay home but since this is my day off it has to be done today Have a good day all!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 08:07

Stats: 250/245/200 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Thanks for the help yesterday everyone...and believe me, you did help. I have started drinking green tea for some caffiene, I want to stay away from sodas altogether as I think I tend to be addicted to them.

I feel 100% better today, lots of water, my green tea and good meals are helping.

I just want to thank all of you... it was your words that helped me get through yesterday.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 17:40

Talking

wtg IAteIt! I too have started green tea. Mine is cafeine free though.
Today went well on plan too. Had few more of those cocoa puffs. I really didn't feel like having that many. And tonight I was genuinely hungry..not craving. Nice to find the difference again

Everyone is doing great. It sure helps to read how well others are doing!!! I hope we all can some losses I am going to be meeting my birthdad sometime in Nov. I believe and I would love to be just alittle slimmer. This extra weight is hurting my back too!!! He is fairly tall and thin and ran marathons for years so doesn't have a weight problem. I just don't want to be embarrased.(how do I spell that?)
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 20:56

Just wanted everyone to know...my son's wonderful cat died today...the one we brought home from a shelter to replace my son's cat that died last year. We are all soooo sad...if you love cats you will understand. These cats were both exceptional!!!REALLY He was a black longhaired sweet and funny cat.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 21:14

Stats: 171/146.0/133 Female 5'4" and 1/4
BF:
Progress: 66%

pre2teach: I am really sorry to hear about the cat

I am off plan right now. This makes day 3, and my weight is higher than ever. For the last four weeks, I have been on plan for most of the week, and then will screw up one day...Normally I would expect that would mean my weight would stay pretty constant, but I can't believe how much I have gained just in the past month. I went from 145, to 147, to 151, to 153, 155 and this morning was 157.5!!! It jumped up a little after each mistake and never went back down. Or went down some, but then jumped up more after the next mistake.

I am not sure what the problem is -- is it stress? Because this last month has been one of the worst of my life. Is it winter and SAD? Was it the vitamin D I was taking? Was it the fact that I stopped taking effexor? I wasn't working out quite as much as before, but it doesn't account for this kind of weight gain.

So anyway, to try and combat this, I am taking relacore (for the stress hormone cortisol), a protein supplement with 15g protein between whey and hydrolyzed collagen, branched-chain amino acids and a thermogenic supplement. In addition to my normal vitamins (a multi, MSM, calcium, evening primrose oil). I'm not taking the D anymore for now. I'm also going to try and start running in addition to my normal cardio routine, to build more endurance, and I joined the pilates challenge thread.

I really don't know what to do...it's really depressing, suddenly fitting back into clothes that I was about to give away because they were wayyy too big. My face looks fuller, my thighs and stomach definitely are heavier, even my calves look different. It sucks!!!

It's also making it really hard to stay on plan, once I go off for whatever reason. If anyone has any advice, I am all ears...
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 22:39

Sango Thanks...It is sooo sad...I keep seeing him sitting at our window in my mind. (he would sit back on his laurels with on paw resting on the windowsill like a human it was SOOOOOOOOO cute!

I too had trouble staying op with a day off 3 on and so on...usually I too maintained my weight...usually 137 then the next time it was 138 for weeks then all of the sudden it was 142 and won't go below that but for a second! I even mentioned it to my dr.s because it was such a fast gain. Of course they said...just watch your portions and exercise more grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
I was taking paxil and the only thing I can think of is that the dr. gave me a higher dose...I was halfing it but a nurse friend of mine said maybe it was getting into my system more quickly and working better( I was feeling great) therefore had more weight gain than normal....makes sense to me...I am now cutting the pill into quarters. The bad thing is none of the pills are scored and I heard that you don't know exactly how much you are getting when they are like that...I have felt more crabby but the weight has gone down just alittle (very little) I am op and have picked up the exercise a bit more.

It is very depressing...but there has to be a reason! I have gone back to my journal and looked through it...have you tried that? to see what has changed??? Maybe that will shed some light on the situation. Good luck!