Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 23:48
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Why are Atkin's dieters so against CAD?

I am confused and upset to see people obviously all striving towards the same goal so adamant on their "plan" being the only true answer. I myself am not doing CAD but can see the imense benefits of it for a true "addict". I see so many Atkin's dieters who cheat on a regular basis. I think if these people would read CAD and do the test, they would find they are extremely addicted to carbs. I truely believe the Heller's when they say a diet with deprivation will only lead to failure. Honestly, how many of us have ruined our diets because of this very thing???

I understand that everyone is trying to sincerely help one another, but it seems at times that we can close our minds so easily when it comes to our differences. No one plan works for everyone, if it did, it would be the only plan out there. I think CADers understand this completely as that is what led most people here. I feel sad in my heart when you try to help someone and get bashed for doing so. I don't think there is any shame in trying out however many diets you need to here to find what is right for you. After all this weight loss is about you, not hundreds of strangers on the web.

Sorry to rant about this, but I feel terrible when I see someone struggling and unhappy yet all everyone can say is "don't do this" or "don't do that" instead of leading the person to a group that might help them. I do CKD and I don't believe for one second that my diet is for everyone. You have to really want to workout for it to work. I just hope that some of you will share your diet out there with others that seem in need of guidance. I think it's a great plan and a great resource for certain people out there.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 01:47

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Atkins cautions against CAD in one of his revisions, warning of the perils of letting an hour become a binge-induced, full-fledged fall from the wagon. For some people, he is absolutely right, but for others, CAD works just fine. Atkins also says that keeping carbs in the system will prevent or inhibit ketosis, along with many of the other benefits of his diet. On this claim, he is mostly incorrect. Many CAD dieters do achieve ketosis, and they experience blood lipid improvements similar to those of Atkins dieters. Initial CAD weight loss is not as dramatic as Atkins Induction, but is fairly comparable afterwards.

Perhaps in part because of his personal charisma (and let's be fair - because his plan works), the Atkins WOL also seems to evoke great loyalty and strict interpretation among its followers. I have seen people argue over what is and is not proper on Induction because something wasn't listed on his approved list of Induction foods, even when the food in question is an Atkins-brand product that is color-coded as safe for Induction, e.g. Atkins own bread and shakes. In the book, which was written before the bread was commercially produced, he says not to use substitute products even if they fit within the Induction gram allowance. Both product labels say they are ok for Induction, but many Atkins adherents say that if you consume them, you are not doing a 'clean' Induction. Atkins Induction, which tends to get generalized as the whole diet even among many low-carbers, is the strictest plan and therefore the easiest to 'cheat' on. If you eat a raw carrot on Atkins, you have eaten a prohibited food for many levels of the plan. When you combine this with a culture that ties moral worth to thinness and associates food deviations with 'sin' you end up a diet plan that often has theological overtones.

Don't get me wrong here. I am not bashing Atkins, the Atkins WOL or Atkins dieters. I am merely explaining some of the societal level influences that may be operating.

In my personal view, low-carbers are well served by learning about a variety of plans. We need to understand why the Heller hour doesn't cause an insulin spike (CAD) and how it is similar to a TKD (um, TKD ), what the meatbolic advantage is (Atkins), and how cholesterol can change from pellet formation (bad) to snowflake formation (good) without the actual number changing (PPLP), and a host of other things from other books and other plans.

People stall, they get bored, they adapt and some of them are just plain curious about what else is out there. We need access to all of these plans so that we have a 'toolkit for success' that is equipped for a variety of situations. If all you have is an Atkins screwdriver, you will not be well-served when you face a situation that could easily be solved with a Heller hammer.

If all goes well for me, CAD will be my maintenance plan. If I start to regain, I can skip a few RMs, essentially converting back to Atkins for a few days. Ideally, by learning about and experimenting with elements of many plans, we will learn what is best for our own individual bodies, and that, my dear LC darlings, is the true key to success.

Cheers,

Friday, who wonders if anyone can tell she just got home from class.....
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 02:05
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I don't think all Atkins dieters are against CAD. some on here combine the plans. I think when someone first starts the plan and sees it working they almost become a zelot about it. They are so happy that they want everyoen to share in that happiness. Many who have been on it longer though and have started to read about other plans recognize the merit in them. Some don't understand CAD or cdk and basically think they are excuses to cheat and have sugar insteado f breaking the addiction. Kind of like what is the best way to quit smoking, cold turkey or with a nicotene aid. With the aid you are getting the nicotne in your system still, but some need that for a bit while they wean off.

I found for me personally CAD didn't work, though for a while it helped me get my snacking under control. Everyone needs to find thier own plan that works for them personally. Some can't handle having carbs at a meal, even when balanced. Others need that little treat to keep them on the plan.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 05:36

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Fear of the Unknown

When I first heard about The Carbohydrate Addicts Diet, I was intrigued, but I didn't think there was any chance in hell that it would really work. First of all, I didn't think I would be able to give up carbs for breakfast and lunch, and then eat whatever I want for dinner and still lose weight?...yeah, right! I just knew that every supper hour would be a binge from start to finish and if anything, I would likely gain weight.

But, I kept hearing about this weird diet, in magazines and on tv and on other diet websites. Finally I bought the book. I had to read it twice to really get a handle on WHY it would work. (The Hellers are wonderful scientists, not such great authors ) Still skeptical, I decided I had nothing to lose to give it a try. Now, 110 pounds later, I am more than convinced and I know I will eat this way for the rest of my life. Why wouldn't I... my cravings are gone (and I WAS a walking talking craving before), I get to have a delicious dinner every night including my favourite foods, I get to enjoy social occasions that centre around food, cause lets face it, that brings down a lot of dieters. Yes, I would agree with someone who said that CAD isn't a 'pure' low carb diet... more it is a controlled carb diet.. both in amounts and in timing. That is what a lot of folks don't understand, I think. You don't have to 'turn off' your urge for carbs after your reward meal, it happens naturally and easily. Good thing, cause I never would have been able to do it, otherwise.

I saw someone say in a journal once that CAD "goes against the spirit of low-carb" HUH??? Isn't it all about finding a way to eat that will free us from food obsession and let us be healthy? CAD has done that for me and can do it for a lot of others. It isn't for everyone, and there are tons of other great programs out there for the trying.

I don't diss Atkins, even though for me, I can't even imagine following it on a long term basis. I know it suits lots of people and has saved lives. I think we all just need to be respectful of each others choices and give support wherever we can.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 06:36

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

People bash a plan because they don't know anything about it. When I first heard of CAD, I was convinced that it was a quack diet. Just a gimmick to sell a few books.

Then I read more and more about it, mostly here in this forum, and talked to people. Now I'm intrigued (and doing well on Day 5).

No, it won't work for everyone. Neither will Atkins or South Beach or Weight Watchers or Jennie Craig . . . you get the idea.

This isn't a competition, folks. Each person has to figure out what works best for their own bodies. For me, right now, CAD/CALP seems to be what my body needs.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 09:47

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

I’ve been on Atkins since October. It’s working fine for me. My husband, however, can’t wrap his mind around the concept of giving up certain foods completely. Plus I think he is a carb addict, whereas I am really not, though I certainly can get into that blood sugar induced cycle of eating (many’s the time—pre-LC—when I had donuts for breakfast only to have a candy bar a few hours later because I was crashing).

So I think he’s going to start CAD, and I may give it a shot as well. It would make family dinners/social events a lot easier, plus I really like the idea of preparing only one dinner. Also, I admit that being able to have a few cookies once in a while is pretty appealing. I do wonder how I can have a “regular” meal every single day and continue to lose weight, but I plan on reading the book(s), so hopefully I will understand after I do. And, if I start CAD and find that it’s not working for me, I will go back to Atkins and start working through OWL.

All that explanation was meant to say that I also think that no one plan is right for everyone, though Atkins is certainly amazing and has worked for me.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 12:35
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Thank you ladies for showing me some people do have open minds about this whole lc thing.

I think the main tread of thought that you all touched on is that EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. I think that's very important and the reason that I get so upset when I see members disregard the other plans. I am surely not an authority on any of the plans, but I'm just happy to see that people can find success in them.

I changed my plan since I got here a month ago because I wanted to add weight lifting. I've questioned many times if what is did is the best for me, but that's the point of the whole process.

I agree with Friday as I will be CADing for my maintenance. I think it has a much smarter approach to a life long plan for me personally. I can give up things for a period of time, but I'm not willing to say goodbye to them forever.

I have to say I'm shocked that Atkins would consider CAD to be gorging. Atkins even states quite plainly that you shouldn't deprive yourself in life and suggests that you increase your carbs as you go along. He says that all you need to do is keep your carbs within the allotted amounts. If you go by this recomendation, you can fit a piece of cake, for instance, in one of your meals (hmmmm sounds an awful lot like CAD eh?).
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 15:00

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

i am a true carb addict and actually tried CAD for about 4 weeks and i personally found that i could not handle the reward meals - they really caused me to crave more carbs. but that is a personal decision!

i can not have my cake and eat it too. i find eating carbs especially sugar carbs or even sugar alcohol carbs (yep no luck there - have to count them sugar alcohols) just makes me go crazy i can not seem to get enough of it when i do.

i found when i tried CAD i would try to eat every carb within a 10 block radius in an hour. now dont get me wrong i do have my days when i allow myself to splurge and i have tried to splurge within the hour (based on CAD) but when my splurge are really high carbs (sugar) i am like a junkie and it would be easier not to eat any than to eat a little and stop.

but i do think cad can certainly work for others and i do believe in the principles they espouse.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 15:34

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

I have to agree with Friday - every time I read her posts they are so full of information!

I'm a total carb addict, following Atkins and I passed the CAD test with flying colors! I'm loving Atkins right now and haven't felt the need to cheat at all since starting in November. I feel so bad for the people on Atkins who struggle and cheat constantly. In fact, I have been known to PM them or write in their journal, to let them know they might want to look at CAD.

I'm planning to move to CAD for vacation as I know it's going to be impossible to be in Italy and not touch pasta! And who would want to! Plus it will allow me to follow a plan, stay low carb, and be successful during vacation.

I think why people may be CAD bashing is they are uninformed! When I first saw "Reward Meal" you can imagine what was on that plate in my mind! I figured it must mean I could eat cake, ice cream, cookies, donuts, bread, pasta, and cocktails in unlimited amounts for the whole hour! Not exactly a meal, more like a one hour sugar free for all! After researching CAD I discovered that particular reward meal was not in the plan at all!

I'd say it's similar to those who bash Atkins cause all we can eat is eggs, cheese and steak! If you haven't read and understood the book, you shouldn't bash a plan at all, IMO. But sadly we see this happen in the media daily.

I'm just grateful we have options and can try different plans to see what works for us!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 16:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction now CAD
Stats: 198/175/175 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%

For me, I feel like I was only on a low carb diet for 2 weeks. As soon as I started on CAD and that reward meal I eat lots of carbs every day. I'm on the strictest of the original CAD plan (not CALP). I don't read labels or count carbs. I eat a breakfast that is mostly 0 carb ( I add hash browns and juice once in a while) and a reward meal that is absolutely worth waiting all day for! Sometimes its mostly carbs like Pizza or Mexican. The one hour does work for me. Without the hunger I don't snack at all. When I was on the Induction Plan I ate all kinds of stuff that costs a fortune and tasted awful. Sure I was loosing weight but what a life. For anyone who is addicted to carbs I can't believe they would choose anything but CAD. It's soo easy!

Larry
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-04-04, 22:48

Plan: gen. low carb/Atkins
Stats: 137/110/112 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 108%

I think many Atkins followers are opposed to CAD because we see a lot of people fail on it because they interpret it to mean "eat everything you want in less than an hour". For me, CAD was the first book I got, but I couldn't do it at the time because I was not prepared to give up my 5 cans of Coke. (Carb addict supreme -- and in strong denial!)
Two years later, when I was finally ready to choose a low carb plan, I went for Atkins because it was so simple and straightforward. CAD seemed too complicated for me, and I knew I was not prepared to eat all the veggies required to balance out the reward meal. In addition, I objected to the very concept of a "Reward Meal" -- I was trying to get away from the concept of food as a "reward."
For me, Atkins was a "good fit." But, the more I read on these boards, the more I think that almost any diet will work IF YOU ACTUALLY FOLLOW IT!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 06:04
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

I'm just putting a post here to bookmark this thread to read later today.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 11:38

Plan: calp
Stats: 185/140/130 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Just curious, has anyone been able to lose "eating everything they want in less than an hour, even without balancing?" How many have? Bye, Amy
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 14:47
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Nope. i lost all my weight but BALANCE is key for me.I eat everything I want in an hour but it is balanced. I also don't crave and don't eat a lot of sweets. Tonights carbs will be quesadillas to go with my salmon, salad and spinach.
E
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 15:08
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmuyloco5
No one plan works for everyone, if it did, it would be the only plan out there.
Absolutely!

I'm starting school to be a dietician and the above sentiment is my mantra.