Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#361   ^
Old Wed, Feb-10-16, 19:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Spanish black radish?

My efforts to grow them last summer were a huge failure. I got a few tops, no radishes....WAH.
Sponsored Links
  #362   ^
Old Wed, Feb-10-16, 22:22

Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Curious, how are you going to prepare/eat the black radishes? I have some from a local farm in the fridge for a few weeks (they store well), I was thinking of slicing thinly with butter or pepper jack cheese. Supposedly has medicinal properties.
  #363   ^
Old Wed, Feb-10-16, 23:28

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Yeah, Black Radish. A co-worker gave it to me. She got it from some deal called a CPA or something where you get produce once and a while. I think it's tied to a co-op. I was very thankful. I think I'll just slice it and put some salt on it. I saw a picture of one and the inside is white. Hard to believe. I'll post a smaller picture before it disappears tomorrow.
  #364   ^
Old Thu, Feb-11-16, 08:36

They're quite spicy, BTW. Enjoy!
  #365   ^
Old Thu, Feb-11-16, 17:41

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I was able to try and share some with some guac I made and some cuce slices. Pictured here with the rest of my lunch. They were good, maybe a little old and dry, but interesting and yes, spicy!

#366   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-16, 13:41

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm cooking my favorite veggie, yellow crookneck squash with a little onion, garlic and butter.

Here is a good picture of Yellow Crookneck
http://www.livestrong.com/article/4...ookneck-squash/
  #367   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-16, 14:27

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Grilling time again!

Last night's dinner included grilled mushrooms, yellow squash and zucchini, red pepper, with a smaller amount of onions and tomato. All marinated in olive oil, soy sauce, with a splash of wine and lemon juice -- salt, pepper, and garlic.

Served with shirataki rice and slices of leftover grilled pork (also marinated).

This will be a staple for most of the year until it gets too cold again.
  #368   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-16, 03:45

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I was a bit short on veggies yesterday so for the first time ever cooked the leaves from the cauliflower I am saving for today's curry.
Used scissors to cut the leaves across the stem into 1/4 inch slices and boiled it - tasted just like a strong tasting cabbage and was yummy topped with a knob of butter.
All these years I have discarded cauli leaves - never thought of cooking them.
  #369   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-16, 07:32

I never thought of it either, Elizellen. And I grow a few of my own in the summer, so that's a LOT of thrown away cauliflower leaves.

On Sunday, I made a kale salad from full grown kale. I'd used the baby leaves, when mine were just starting to grow, but wanted to see if grown up kale would be as good. OMG. It is!

I stripped them from the stem, and made sure to get any tough stuff out of the center. Rinsed and drained.

Then I made a super simple dressing from red wine vinegar and EVOO, with some freshly ground pepper and Himalayan salt, and a little ground mustard.

Poured it over, added a couple handsful of shredded Parmesan, and tossed and tossed. It was lovely, just a bowlful of gleaming green. And tasted even better than I'd hoped it would.
  #370   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-16, 10:39

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

that kale salad sounds good- did you let it marinate or eat it straight away?

and hm...i never knew cauli leaves were edible. good to know!

tonight i will use my spiralizer to make cucumber noodles marinated in soysauce/unsweetened seasoned rice vinegar, sesame oil, a touch of splenda, and crushed red pepper.
  #371   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-16, 04:22

Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

I love the artichokes this time of year (keep hoping baby ones will show up at the supermarket but not yet).

Making them the laziest way: cut off tops and most of stem, trim leaves. Then rinse and leave some water on them, wrap loosely in foil (the water helps steam inside the package, sometimes I add a few drops more). Then bake along with whatever meat I'm cooking for lunch or dinner.

They come out really soft, I just spoon out the hairy parts and put some pats of butter on them while still hot.
  #372   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-16, 07:27

Robin, not RIGHT away. I made the salad, set it on the table, then cooked the pork chops it was accompanying.

Since I just cooked them in a little bacon grease in a frying pan...the salad sat for about 15 minutes before I dug into it.

Just enough time to let the flavors meld, I think.
  #373   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-16, 13:23

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

thanks, MickiSue!

Pazia- mmmmmm, artichokes are so good with lemon and butter.

this isn't "fresh" but i am currently snacking on some roasted garlic and onion kale chips. I have never had them turn out right when making them myself.....but i might try this "kt" i saw in produce section recently.....any tips? was also thinking baby spinach could make a perfect chip, if i could get the hang of this......!
  #374   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-16, 15:04

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I'm cooking my favorite veggie, yellow crookneck squash with a little onion, garlic and butter. Here is a good picture:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/4...ookneck-squash/
OK I'm totally making that too and thanks for the picture. Cooking-challenged people like me need those!!
  #375   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-16, 16:45

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 205/181.8/145 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 39%

I'm starting to plan out my flower gardens and will be interspersing some veggies in with the perennials. I've always done one grape tomato plant but this year will be adding kale and spinach. Putting in a real veggie garden produces too much for just 2 people. A few things carefully placed add some more texture to the garden and give us some home grown edibles.

I'm so happy that we're moving into warmer weather where the store produce starts to look better too.

Anyone have ideas for other veggies to plant that don't take up a lot of space? Cukes would be nice but they spread out too much.