Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-01, 08:10

Plan:
Stats: 249/231/180
BF:
Progress:
Angry

I started the Atkins diet at 249. After 2 weeks on the induction diet I got down to 228. I was very excited, except for one thing - the BIG D(diarrhea). Has anyone else had this problem? My wife, who started a week later than I, also developed this problem. Is it something we're eating? Is it just par for the course? I had to stop the diet for now, but it's frustrating. After only 2 days off the diet I've already climbed back up to 231. If anyone can help with this I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-01, 09:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

It's unusual to experience this for more than a day or two. Your body adjusts to a new kind of eating, but more often people notice constipation, and need to eat some low-carb veggies.

Since both you and your wife experienced this, one possibility is that it's something you both ate that's causing this. Let us know what what was your daily menu, but a consistant, long-term big D is not common to low-carb diets.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-01, 13:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi there, and welcome

Wa'il is right, transient diarrhea is not unusual for a few days, maybe a week, right at the beginning of Induction. This happens as your body rids itself of excess carbs, and the fat-burning process of ketosis begins. But it should settle down.

Is this new way of eating (WOE) a radical change for you? If you're used to eating a lot of highly processed white food - white bread, white rice, white sugar, white flour, rice krispies, bagels, donuts, chips and the like - it may take your intestinal tract a few weeks to adjust to the new and improved diet consisting of REAL food, meats, vegetables and salads.

Are you eating any of the lowcarb protein bars, or maybe having a few "sugar free" candies or chocolate bars? These things are sweetened with glycerine, sorbitol or maltitol (or some other sugar alcohol). These sweeteners are not completely absorbed from the small intestine, and are notorious for causing diarrhea, gas, etc (the label politely calls this a "laxative effect" ... ) Some folks aren't bothered at all, but others, like me, cannot tolerate more than a small amount, and only infrequently like once every few weeks or so.

Are you eating a lot of homemade lowcarb desserts and treats, like cheesecakes, chocolates and artificially sweetened whipped cream things?? The artificial sweeteners that you buy to use at home contain maltodextrin, which helps give it bulk, and makes it look and and measure just like regular sugar. While the sweetener itself doesn't cause any problem, this dextrin (made from corn usually) can. So go easy. Note that the maltodextrin is NOT added to artificially sweetened soft drinks, drink powders like Crystal Light or diet Jello.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some technicalities about "the Big D". I like that, by the way ..

1. If it's just a matter that the stools are loose or a bit watery when you do go, this is not a real problem, and should correct itself in time. Try taking a small dose of sugar-free Metamucil or plain psyllium husks (you can buy these cheaply at a health food store) before meals. This stuff isn't just for constipation!! The fiber will absorb the excess water in the stool, helping to bulk and firm things up a bit.

2. If you're not used to eating raw vegetables, and are now eating salads every day, that could be a bit of a problem. Try using lightly steamed vegetables, chilled and served with a vinaigrette for now. Another thing might be to make sure you are chewing the raw veggies thoroughly. Sometimes there's a tendency to stuff a mouthful of lettuce in, then wash it down with a big swig of water. That's hard on the gut if it's not used to it. If you think this might be the culprit, and there's also a bit of gas problem, you might consider using Beano for a month or two, until your system adjusts.

3. If your diarrhea is accompanied by a lot of gas, bloated abdomen, cramps and urgency, this is a sign of some food intolerance. You need to be a sleuth to find out what it is. It could be something obvious, like a vegetable you've never had before, or it could be a food additive, like an artificial sweetener or the citric acid in diet soda pop.

4. If you've been eating lowFAT - highCARB for ages, and now are eating lowcarb but a lot more FAT than you've been used to, this could cause loose "greasy" stools, but it's transient, and will disappear as your body adjusts.

5. If you are suffering abdominal distress including diarrhea, and also fever, headaches and fatigue, this is a sign of infection. Get thee to the doctor at once.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another important thing to consider, diarrhea means you are losing potassium (where water goes, potassium follows). You need to supplement your diet. The easiest and least expensive is to use the NoSalt or HalfSalt which you can buy at any grocery store. These contain potassium chloride, and you just use it as you would regular salt. I mix the NoSalt 1:1 with regular table salt, and you can't taste the difference. If you don't use salt, then you need to take a potassium pill. Signs of low potassium are fatigue and lethargy, muscle cramps and headache.

Hope this is helpful ...

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-01, 21:47

Plan:
Stats: 249/231/180
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. I am going to give it another shot and see if I can't overcome this. It was such a great feeling to lose the weight so quickly. I can't wait to get started again.
....Scott
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-01, 01:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up addendum, big D

In addition to Doreen's (as always) excellent information, a couple of potentially helpful points from experience:
- if you add fiber (psyllium or metamucil), be sure you add water as directed (the big D dehydrates the system while it's purging everything, including the potassium).
- add yogurt or buttermilk daily (natural, unsweetened cultured dairy products help recolonize the "good bacteria" which have been decimated by the Big D).

... which brings up the spectre of the Big C... if the D does not respond to the above measures (including Doreen's), seriously look into the Candidiasis (systemic or intestinal yeast). We can help you out a bit with that, if it's the case. Try the other stuff first, tho.

Hope this helps!