Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 02:53

Plan: Low Carb Whatever?
Stats: 263/230/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Question

Has anyone else ever experienced rashes?? The past 3 days my legs have developed these itchy and burning patches and I have no idea why or where??? Its driving me crazy..... *lol* I have tried creams to help me sleep, since that is when it seems worst..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 07:32

Plan:
Stats: 175/140/130
BF:
Progress:
Default itching

I have had hives recently but could not find the cure.
What are you eating that you are not used too.?
How about detergeant. Dh can not have his clothes washed in Tide as it gives him a rash. Some people are allergic to soy , or eggs. You really have to think about it. I thought maybe my hives were by a certain kind of artificial sugar because some of them have silicon dioxide in it which is a sand. I have heard of some being allegic to AS.
Good luck and you need to be a detective to figure it out.
NNN
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 12:51
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Sandi

Allergies and sensitivities to foods usually show up as digestive distress (nausea, vomiting, cramping and urgent diarrhea), puffy red watery eyes, stuffed sinuses, and less often a rash that appears on the face (around the mouth and chin especialy, looks like tiny pimples), over the chest and hands. Severe food allergy, such as to peanuts, can cause extreme breathing difficulty, requiring 9-1-1 emergency.
The other thing about true food allergy is that symptoms usually appear fairly quickly, within an hour of ingestion -- and then ease off and ultimately disappear as the offending food is eliminated from the body.

A persistent itchy rash is more likely caused by a contact dermatitis, as NNNorma suggested. Detergents, soaps, etc.... However, an often over-looked cause is NOT ENOUGH FAT in your diet, and I'm referring especially to the unsaturated fatty acids found in good vegetable oils such as olive, safflower and flax. These oils are zero carb, and are absolutely vital for your skin and hair -- that's why they're called ESSENTIAL fatty acids. If you use bottled lowcarb salad dressing, try mixing an extra Tbsp of olive oil into it before you pour it on your salad. Add a couple Tbsp ground fresh flax seeds to a protein shake, if you use those. Make your own dressings with lemon juice, olive oil and herbs for dipping strips of cold cooked chicken or leftover steak. This might not be your problem, but it is something to think about ...

Home remedy - put a half-cup of raw oatmeal flakes in an old pantyhose leg or sockette or whatever. Tie a knot in it, then put this in your bath water. The colloidal proteins in oatmeal are very soothing. If you take showers, don't use too hot water. I've never tried using it in the shower, but I imagine you could use the oatmeal ball and just rub it over your skin.

Take care, hope this helps

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 15:04

Plan: Low Carb Whatever?
Stats: 263/230/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thanks Doreen... I am really mystified by this outbreak and only on my legs...Go figure??? I had to take a Tylenol to get to sleep last night.drove me crazy. Also I have noticed tiny pimples spreading on the areas after I have scratched insanely *lol* I took your advice and found the only thing new to my diet is Olives so I will quit snacking on them and see what happens... Thanks again!...