Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 09:35
WannaHaveFun

Plan: protvegfatprotvegfatprotv
Stats: 183/165/155 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 64%
Thumbs up The Passionate Cook: The very best of Karen Barnaby

We're all looking forward to the publication of Karen's The Low-carb Gourmet by Rodale this fall, but let's not forget that her latest cookbook was launched just a few weeks ago. The Passionate Cook isn't low-carb per se, but it does have many low-carb recipes (especially the fish, meat and vegetable sections) and others that could be easily modified. On this thread, people can post their experiences with the recipes, including carb counts and LC modifications. Should be fun!

Here's a tantalizing sample recipe from the publisher's website (Whitecap Books): Tea-Scented Fresh Goat Cheese . A great, naturally LC recipe. Those of us in BC can use Saltspring's wonderful chevres and, of course, fabulous teas from T Tearoom or Silk Road in Victoria. Cooks from other places will have their own sources of delicious, natural foods like these. Karen suggests you can do the same thing using coarsely ground coffee beans instead of tea. Never would've thought of that!

It's a beautiful book and one that embodies Karen's creative and philosophical approach to food, using fresh and local ingredients and incorporating techniques and tastes from around the world. I highly recommend it! So far I've just been reading it (something I tend to do more often than actually cook ) -- but it does make for great reading, and I'm sure it inspires my day-to-day cooking and also gets me thinking about the next dinner party.

I for one would love to try that Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce but can't figure out how to make a syrup with Splenda. Karen suggests adding xanthan gum to thicken it so I'm looking forward to trying that.

Last edited by sunpines : Fri, May-14-04 at 09:47.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 06:55

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Sunpines,

I nearly drove myself mad trying to track down a copy of The Passionate Cook yesterday (having seen your comments about on another thread) - unfortunately, it's not available through Amazon UK and although I tried several bookshops in my area, they were unable to help.

However, I finally found somewhere this morning that can order it for me from the US, so I'm a very happy bunny

It'll be a few weeks before it's delivered, but after that, I shall definitely take part in this thread with regard to posting my experiences etc

[ Funnily enough though, I am able to obtain Karen's new low carb book through Amazon UK - I have it on pre-order for when it's published in October ]
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 11:29
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Demi, I think it's hard to get overseas because it's only being published in Canada.

The Low-Carb Gourmet has Rodale - an American publisher - and in Canada it's being released by HarperCollins.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 08:44
WannaHaveFun

BF:
Default Moral of story: check for ISBN 1-55285-525-2

Glad you avoided going mad, Demi , and that you finally found someone who'd ship to you in the UK. Maybe you could share it here for anyone else who's interested?

Whitecap, the publisher, e-mailed me the following:

We do ship to individuals directly, but you may also purchase/special order our books at your local retailer. Drop shipments to the UK can be done, but are subject to freight charges, as are national orders.
WHiTECAP BOOKS LTD.

Phone: 1-888-870-3442 extension 239
Fax: 1-888-661-6630
e-mail: [email]customerservice at whitecap dot ca[/email]

Also checked amazon.ca . You won't find it if you search for The Passionate Cook but if you search for "barnaby, karen" it will come up, but for some reason as The Best of Karen Barnaby: Gourmet Recipes from a Restaurant Chef . Same picture, same ISBN: 1552855252 . AAARGH!

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/AS...7875705-9324869

amazon.ca does have a good rate on it right now.

Chapters Indigo has it indexed correctly! but they've got the wrong photo http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/item....92AE709ECB24417

These two may just ship to Canadian addresses.

Last edited by tofi : Mon, May-17-04 at 09:44.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 11:21

BF:

Quote:
Maybe you could share it here for anyone else who's interested?

Good idea Sunpines , so here's the info:

For those who may be interested in buying this book in the UK, it can be ordered via Blackwell's Online Book Service.

Type in Karen Barnaby in the 'Search for' box, and it will bring it up as The Best of Karen Barnaby: Gourmet Recipes from a Restaurant Chef (ISBN 1552855252).
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 09:12
Forum Founder

BF:

I sent an email to Whitecap about the errors on the websites. Thanks for pointing them out.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 15:29

Plan: None
Stats: 140/140/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Karen. I just bought your new book, The Passionate Cook, and it looks wonderful. I am wondering though how you square this new book with your low carb lifestyle. I am not on a LC diet and never will be but I just find it strange that you publish a book like this one-I mean you don't make oe eat these recipes anymore right? I just find it takes a little bit away from the joy of the recipes knowing that the creator doesn't enjoy them herself

I am a huge fan and I know tis sounds negative. I 'd just like to hear your thoughts on what I said. Thans!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 10:04
Forum Founder

BF:

The Passionate Cook is a compilation of all of my best recipes from my previous five cookbooks. Although I've been low-carbing for five years, I'm still a restaurant chef and cooking teacher and many people know me as just that.

Just because *I* don't eat many of the dishes doesn't mean that many of my fans won't. Many don't give a hoot about the joys of low-carbing and are happy to get my "greatest hits" all in one volume.
Quote:
I just find it takes a little bit away from the joy of the recipes knowing that the creator doesn't enjoy them herself
Why? If you want to eat in a certain way, how I eat shouldn't have any bearing on your happiness.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 23:00
WannaHaveFun

BF:
Thumbs up Creamed Spinach with Garam Masala p. 199

Tried this recipe for dinner--spinach, cream, cream cheese, shallots and some spices. Scaled it down to two servings. Used most of a bag of baby spinach (about 350g) , just reached in with my kitchen scissors to chop it up. And didn't make my own Garam Masala, used Galloway's instead (for non-Vancouverites, Galloway's is a local spice-and-dry-goods store run by a South Asian family, so they know their Garam Masala).

I'm a spinach fan and always looking for new ways to cook it. This is wonderful! I was surprised by how far a little garam masala went. It complemented lamb chops and sauteed mushrooms really nicely.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 09:47
WannaHaveFun

BF:
Default Pepper & cilantro marinated chicken with sweet/sour dipping sauce (pp. 166-67)

The chicken was great (though I had skinless chicken breasts unfortunately--a bit too low fat for me right now ). Made an "unreasonable facsimile" of the dipping sauce, though it tasted delicious anyway. Used 3/8 cup Brown Sugar Twin and 3/8C Splenda (Karen's synergistic sweeteners idea) instead of 1-1/2C sugar. However, couldn't figure out how to use xanthan gum to thicken, so it was watery.

Karen, would you be able to help me with thickening? Do I have to boil the xanthan gum/water mixture? Sorry to be so thick here....

Also, can you recommend a hot chili paste? I used some Thai red curry paste from the fridge--only 1 tsp. as opposed to 1T, and it turned out VERY hot (which I like but I think it might've been too much).

Anyway, if this is something that's coming up in your LC cookbook, I can wait, but if not, I'd sure appreciate some guidance.

ALSO--bought some BC greenhouse HOT peppers at Costco the other day. They're called "piropeppers" (long and cone-shaped). Now I don't know what to do with them. Any ideas???? There's a whole plastic box--1 pound. They looked so pretty...other than that I don't know what came over me!

thanks for any guidance, Karen.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 11:05

BF:

Still waiting for my book to arrive *sigh*

The spinach dish sounds wonderful Anny - just the sort of thing I like
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 09:54

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

LOL Anny, the hot pepper quandry sounds like one of mine. I just bought some garlic "sprouts" last night. They are long cylindrical green/white tubes that smell of garlic. Sort of like a chive but thicker or a green onion without the bulb end. Anyway, the Asian clerk said she uses them in stir fries - I was hoping to be able to put em in salads, raw... or as a veggie by themselves. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 09:22
WannaHaveFun

BF:

Hi, Jean. I've seen those at the Moss St. market in Victoria and never knew what to do with them either so never picked them up. Have you tried nibbling on them to see how they'd be raw? Maybe a bit like chives, especially garlic chives? I put chives in blue cheese dip and they really zing it up, so that might be a thought. Also Demi posted a link to a fresh local foods site in the UK that might cover that sort of thing.

Meanwhile my peppers are still sitting on the counter, taking up valuable space. Moral here--think first, shop later????
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 12:22
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Karen, would you be able to help me with thickening? Do I have to boil the xanthan gum/water mixture? Sorry to be so thick here....
Here you go!

Thai Sweet and Sour Chile Dipping Sauce
Makes 1 1/2 cups

1 Tbsp. Splenda
1 Tbsp. Sugar Twin
1 cup water
1 red bell pepper, stem removed but with the seeds and core left in
1-3 fresh Thai chili peppers, to taste
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tsp. sea salt
4 Tbsp. lemon or lime juice
3 Tbsp. fish sauce
1/2 - 1 tsp. xanthan gum

Combine the sweeteners and water. Stir to dissolve.

Roughly chop the pepper and chilies. Combine with the garlic, salt and 1/4 of the sweetened water in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. The pepper seeds will remain whole. Add to the rest of the sweetened water along with the lime juice and fish sauce and pulse a few times to combine. Add 1/2 tsp. of xanthan gum and blend until thickened. You may need a little more gum. Keeps for 1 week, covered and refrigerated. Effective Carbohydrates per Serving (1 Tbsp.): 0.75

This is a gooood chili sauce. It's Vietnamese and available in any Chinese/Southeast Asian grocery store. It's called Tuong Ot Toi. There's also a rooster on the label to help with identification.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Mon, Jun-07-04 at 12:32.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 21:09
WannaHaveFun

BF:

You're brilliant, Karen. I really look forward to trying this! Love the visuals for the chili sauce (especially like the rooster ). Could I use a teaspoon or so to replace the fresh Thai chili peppers?

thank you!