Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 00:57
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm intrigued enough now to take a quick trip over the border for some American Sweet 'n' Low to see what the combination of sucralose and saccharin is like. Hopefully it will be just as good as the cyclamate and sucralose combination...

Karen
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 11:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 254/216/145 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

i'm itching to make this cheesecake for my birthday but i've never made a cheesecake and am not the greatest cook so i have a couple questions...firstly, i plan on making the crustless version. do i still need to put parchment paper on the bottom of the pan? what is parchment paper? is it the same as waxed paper? do i just need to cut out a circle and put it at the round bottom of the pan only? (see, i'm hopless here).

also, how lemony is this cheesecake? i ask because i'm not too fond of lemony cheesecakes, though i know that's how they're meant to be. i prefer a more "cheesy" flavor.

thanks!
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 23:03
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
do i still need to put parchment paper on the bottom of the pan? what is parchment paper?

Only if you don't want the cheesecake to stick to the bottom of the pan.

Parchment paper is also known as silicone paper and you can buy it in grocery stores. It comes in a roll and hangs out with the waxed paper and Saran Wrap. It's just great for any baking job...cookies, cakes, meatloaf...nothing sticks to it.
Quote:
do i just need to cut out a circle
Yep! Lay the bottom of the pan on the paper and trace around it, then cut it with scissors.
Quote:
also, how lemony is this cheesecake?
Not lemony at all. I loathe lemony cheesecakes unless they're supposed to be lemon cheesecakes.

Karen
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 18:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/159/155 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 89%

I tried making this cheesecake last night, and though the texture was perfect, the taste was a bit odd. It might be because I didnt have white sugar twin, so I tried using brown sugar twin, and it ending up with a taste verging on bitter. Could it be the brown sugar twin? Though I use splenda often, I havent cooked with sugar twin at all, so I am not familiar with the taste.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 00:43
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Could it be the brown sugar twin?

Yep! If you don't have the white Sugar Twin, you can use use 3/4 cup Splenda.

Karen
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 10:32

Stats: 225/140/140 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:

Hi Karen! First off, I LOVE this cheesecake! Thank you so much for the recipe.

I have been wondering if it might be possible to modify this recipe to incorporate flavors such as pumpkin, raspberry or others. I was in particular thinking about making a pumpkin cheesecake for Halloween. In the past I have used recipes that call for pumpkin pie filling, but I am sure that is full of sugar and carbs. I was wondering if you might have any suggestions for modifying this as a flavored cheesecake?

Thanks!
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 08:01
Forum Founder

BF:

Thanks!

You can get canned pumpkin without any do-do in it at most grocery stores. Use 1/2 lb. less of the cream cheese and add 1/2 lb. of the pumpkin. Add pumpkin pie spices to taste. I would start with 2 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. ginger and 1/2 tsp. nutmeg.

For the raspberry, do the same thing. You can either lightly crush them or puree them and press through a sieve to remove the seeds.

I really like using extracts made by Boyajian. The strawberry and raspberry are just amazing for perking up the flavour of raspberry and strawberry desserts. I get them here at gourmet food stores.

Karen
  #68   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 10:24

Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

I made this cheesecake and it turned out perfect, its a great recipe. I made mine a lemon cheesecake, which I strongly recomend
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 15:25

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Damn, I wish I'd found and read this thread before I made the cheesecake

I had a few questions in my mind while I was making it - such as the fact that we can't get Sugar Twin in the UK, so could I just use all Splenda (which I did), does the cheesecake freeze well (this particular one won't because it's gone in the bin) etc etc - and they've been answered here.

However, I also discovered that it's NOT 2 x 1/2lbs of cream cheese, but TWO AND A HALF POUNDS OF CREAM CHEESE I did look at the amount a couple of times, but thought I had read it correctly, obviously not

Could this be why my cheesecake has come out looking and tasting very similar to a gigantic mock danish??!!!

Which brings me on to one more question (which I don't think has been answered here) but could I use marscapone rather than the cream cheese?? - the reason is that I prefer the sweeter tasting mascarpone to the rather salty cream cheese (philadelphia brand) - and I often use it when I make a mock danish.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 11:39

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 235/180/150 Female 5' 3''
BF:
Progress: 65%
Thumbs up

I made this cheesecake to take to dinner last night. I served it with a teaspoon of sugar-free raspberry jam on each slice and a drizzle of sugar-free chocolate sauce on the plate beside the slice. Everyone loved it. I was a little hesitant, as I had never made a 'baked' cheesecake before, I had always made the kind you chill. I put a little bit in a small glass pan to cook along with it in case I goofed up and would know before I served it if it was awful. Wow, was it ever delicious, and not nearly as difficult as I had set myself up for it to be. I also made a small one adding cocoa powder and toasted almonds to the batter (this one definitely needs tweaking, but I love a chocolate cheesecake, so I just had to give it a try). Thanks Karen, I will definitely make this again.
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 15:54

Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

Karen have you ever made this into a peanut butter or peanut butter and chocolate cheesecake? Im just curious as to how that would be.
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 21:40
Forum Founder

BF:

No, not with this recipe but I've done different variations with the No-Bake Vancouver Cheesecake.

Karen
  #73   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 09:27

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 350/305/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

I bought some 4" springform pans to make cheesecakes for my low carb friends -- how long do you suppose I should bake the cake with this small of a pan?
  #74   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 10:19
Forum Founder

BF:

Hmm. I would say about 15-25 minutes, max depending on how much you are filling the pan. Don't do the initial 500F baking because that would probably be enough to cook the cheesecakes through.

Test them with an instant read thermometer. The internal temperature should be 150F when they're ready to come out of the oven.

You're a nice friend to make cheesecakes for your LC buddies!

Karen
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 12:00

Stats: 225/140/140 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:

Karen,

Just wanted to let you know, I made a pumpkin version of this cheesecake for our office halloween potluck yesterday. It was a HUGE hit, and the first goodie to be all gone! Adding the pumpkin smooths out the consistency of the cake a bit, so it is not as thick, but still nice and rich. I used nearly a whole 15 oz can of pumpkin - I kept tasting the mix until it tasted right I thought it could have used a bit more pumpkin and probably just a tad more pumpkin pie spice when all was said and done, but the people in my office RAVED about it and couldn't believe it was sugar free!

Thanks again for such an incredible recipe! I plan on making it for Thanksgiving so that I can wow my family with both my loss and my cooking skills! LOL