Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 08:19

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default "runner's High"

The term "runner's high" hit its stride, so to speak, in the 1970s, not long after it appeared in Jim Fixx's The Complete Book on Running . Runners had long claimed that some people experience euphoria while working out, but no one had named the sensation. These days, runners aren't the only ones fascinated by the "high." Researchers are, too.

The runner's high is usually characterized as an unexpected boost in energy levels, accompanied by joy and hyper-awareness. It seems to occur about 30 minutes into a workout and has been compared to spiritual awakening or sexual orgasm. Some people question whether the runner's high is real, however, and scientists still can't confirm its existence or explain how it works. Still, most of those who are trying favor one of two hypotheses.

Hormones are one possibility. Exercise seems to counter the effect of hormones that can cause stress or irritability. Studies have also shown that exercise causes the release of endorphins, hormones that can produce feelings of euphoria and have analgesic properties similar to morphine. And, researchers are exploring the link between exercise and serotonin, a brain chemical that may affect mood and behavior, appetite, and sleep patterns.

Other researchers argue that the runner's high is psychological. They note that people who exercise often report feeling better about themselves, and they suspect there's a link between runner's high and this boost in self-esteem. One such researcher had groups of women ride a stationary bike. He told one group that they were in good shape, and the other group that they were unfit. More of the women who had been told they were fit reported feeling better during a follow-up workout a week later.

Only 30 percent of runners, and 10 percent of all exercisers, are estimated to experience the high regularly. But the lucky few say it comes on when you least expect it, and that's one more reason to keep pounding the pavement.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 23:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 56%
Thumbs up

Hi Dan, This is exactly why I have to get high everyday.

Christine
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 00:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Hyper-awareness and joy describes it really well. I only get it when I've worked hard, moderate cardio doesn't do it, but uphill and run hard back definitely does. If anyone was around at 6 in the morning, they'd wonder who this mad woman was, red in the face, grinning like mad and driving at high speed round the country lanes on the way back from her run, singing to the radio.
Fortunately at that time in the morning, there's only the birds, sheep and rabbits and they dont' mind!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 07:59

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I only ever experience this when running. Oh how I miss it. My knees would betray me if I started back again, but every once in a while I have this urge. Damn, it's back again!

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 08:32

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

I get it about 50% of the time from my lifting and NEVER from cardio.

Friday