Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 11:52

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/234/160
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Bemazing Voyage

A long time ago I read a book that coined the word "bemazement"--a combination of being bemused and amazed at the same time. That's what joining the gym has been for me. I have been sedentary all my life (well, except for walking), and up until a few weeks ago I would no more have walked into a gym than into ... well, I can't think of anything I would have avoided (though the time I had to sell cards at a bingo hall for charity was pretty close to hell).

At the end of January I started low-carbing seriously again after a stall that turned into a slump (occasional, but controlled high carb eating) that turned into a four-week off-the-wagon binge. Suddenly, I had that "so damn good" feeling of well-being that I had lost. Riding high on that, and an initial weight loss, I asked Ardith, a co-worker who goes to the gym for weight training, to tell me all about it. It's part of a local chain and a couple of blocks from my office. It sounded pretty non-threatening (Ardith is no sylph, and she is delightfully unconcerned about how she looks). So, one Friday a month ago, I asked her to take me there. She suggested I get some good shoes, and then she made an appointment for me.

I think I stopped feeling self-conscious about 10 minutes after signing up. People who go to this gym are on their lunch hours or on their way home after work; they're focused, and they don't pay much attention to anyone else. I also spotted two or three "people of size," which helped.

Part of the package (which is very reasonable, because my employer has a special rate of $38 a month) are five half-hour sessions with a trainer. The first trainer, who showed me the cardio equipment was pleasant enough. The next one showed me how to use the Keiser weight-training machines on one day and set my weights the next. I was so impressed by her. She's not super warm, but she's careful. I dislocated a shoulder last August and she immediately spotted how it affected the way I did one excercise and lowered the weight. I decided that paying for a one-hour session with her every couple of weeks would be a good thing.

So far it's working out great. I've been doing really well at getting to the gym three times a week (2 days of weights and one of cardio, with abdominal exercises and stretching). I feel wonderful. I am bemazed that an overweight 51-year-old woman should be so comfortable about doing this.

I realized that keeping this log will help me to keep track of my progress and help to remember these first steps when I am further along on my voyage.

Susan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 12:15

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Susan-
Congrats on starting an exercise program! I am glad you have found a gym and a trainer that you like. Feeling comfortable when you workout is so important! Look around the exercise forum, there is a lot of great tips!!!

Best of luck to you!
Linda
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 04:56

BF:
Default March 6, 2002

My goal is to get to the gym three times a week and eventually work my way up to some kind of activity six times a week.

I realized yesterday that I wasn't going to make it at lunch, so I went after work. Not my favourite time--it's busier and people are a little less relaxed. However, I did manage to find a free recumbant bike for a 10-minute warmup. I did 2 rounds of the Keiser circuit, 2 sets of my ab and lower back exercises (the names of which I forget except the crunches), and a set of 20-second stretches. I had to put some of my weights down, but I felt very good afterwards. This disproves my theory that it might be the shower in the middle of the day that adds to that sense of well-being. I had the car downtown, so I just went home in my gym clothes.

My knees are feeling much better. Unless I'm really tired I no longer have to climb the stairs one at a time. This is a relief because I was so afraid that it was irreversable. It seems to be more a function of disuse than disability. "Why didn't you see a doctor about it, if you were so worried," I hear you say. Well, I hate being told what to do--I like to do it for myself. And, hey, I am. (It was the same with smoking--didn't quit until I was pretty sure I was pregnant, but I quit before I saw the doctor. That was almost 18 years ago.)

Thanks for the welcome, Fern. As I tell my trainer, I hope some day to be the poster child for formerly out-of-shape 50-year-olds.

Susan
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 08:25

BF:
Default March 7, 2002

I made it to the gym for the second day in a row yesterday. It was a cardio day, so I did 20 minutes on the treadmill (the machines have a 20-min. limit) and 10 on a cycle.

At my last training session, Anne suggested that I get my heart rate up to 119 (I'm 51) and not let it get above 125. This makes it much more interesting, trying to get the right combination of speed and incline to hit this range. I noticed that I was able to do it with a slightly higher speed and more incline this time (2.8 mph and 1.5%), which is encouraging. I look around me and think that what I'm doing is ridiculously easy, but it's obviously working. It's a bit harder with the cycle--level 2 is enough resistance to pedal at a steady rate, but it's hard to pedal slow enough to stay close to 119 (it was more like 126).

It would be nice if I could persuade Ernie to go for a walk this weekend--assuming that we can find a snow-free path. I have a goal of being able to run with Kate, my daughter (I haven't told her yet); I'm not sure how long it will take to get there, but I'm sure I'll be able to.

Susan
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 08:38

BF:
Default March 8, 2002

I'm leaving at noon today, so I did weights and abs yesterday (that's three days of working out in a row!).

10 minute warm-up on the treadmill--had to increase my speed .2 mph to get my heart rate up

Keiser circuit x 2--increased weights on all the machines except for the leg extension, which hurt my knees.

10 superman x 2
10 90° hold x 2
15 basic crunch x 2
10 forward ball roll x 2

Stretches

Life is good.

Susan