Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-07, 09:26

Plan: who knows???
Stats: 208/173/175 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 106%
Default 5 rep workout

I'm in need of a bit of advice here.

I started this workout last week, my main concern is this...I'm not sore enough. I dont mean I'm not sore at all, just not as sore as I'm used to being after a good workout.

My 5 reps are without doubt max weights I can do with proper form. I use duration of lift to maximize effort. I just cant seem to get very sore. 3 sets of each excercise, with 9-12 sets per body part typical.

Example - db incline 3 sets;db flat 3 sets; flys 3 sets; cable crossovers 3 sets. Did chest just yesterday and I have to really flex to feel any soreness.

I superset, so as Im doing chest my chest rest interval is when Im doing biceps. 2 min max between sets of like body type.

Any Ideas???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-07, 18:06

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

I would drop some of the excercises and do more of a 5x5 routine..

Get rid of the flyes and cable crossovers and stick to benches..incline and flat and throw in some dips..

And DOMS is not a good indicator of a good workout IMO..
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-07, 18:11

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr

What is DOMS?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-07, 23:54
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 06:17

Plan: who knows???
Stats: 208/173/175 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 106%

The flys and crossovers are there to minimize the pressing movements. Between the massive amounts of bone spurs that have developed in my elbows and the arthritis thats setting in, I really have to minimize the presses. I do as many as I can, but not all I NEED to do. So I try to find other excercises to isolate the chest muscles and minimize the elbow abuse. I do dips on triceps day, but if I do flys correctly, I can get as much out of them as I can presses.

I'm pretty sore today, but Ill try more sets of 5 and see how that works out.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 07:13
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
I would drop some of the excercises and do more of a 5x5 routine..

Get rid of the flyes and cable crossovers and stick to benches..incline and flat and throw in some dips..

DOMS just indicates that you stressed your muscles and associated structures (specifically connective tissue) in a new way. Eventually you will adapt and not get much in the way of soreness. No problem--as my fave guru Lyle McD says, "Soreness is not indicative of growth; GROWTH is indicative of growth".

The best way to tell if what you're doing is working is to monitor your progress--are you able to regularly up the weight on the bar? Don't forget that you have to eat more to grow, otherwise the best you will do is maintain.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 08:06

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

If I may..

I would forget about isolating any bodypart and start thinking of the body as a whole..

Dips done with a wider grip,elbows flared,chest up will hit the pecs and tris very hard..and your delts..and to a lesser degree your serratus.

You can also do close grip benches(with the hands 12' a part on the bar) as another great compound movement for the chest and tris.

Along with dips, the best tri excercise IMO and great for chest and shoulders.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-07, 14:55

Plan: Ketogenic/Paleolithic
Stats: 310/179/175 Male 71
BF:44%/6%/5%
Progress: 97%

Dips will most definitely build your chest; I'm definitely a believer now. Right now, I'm doing nothing but bodyweight exercises, and I can't believe how hard my chest is getting, and I only do two "chest" exercises: dips and "clap" pushups (when you push yourself off the ground high enough to clap before starting the next one) and pushups where I pause on the bottom.

Leaddog have you read any of Pavel's books? If not, I think you'll find Power to the People and Beyond Bodybuilding very useful. Also, I agree with Dane, a big mistake we make is to train for pain (ok, soreness) instead of results. It has taken me some time, any many setbacks, to finally understand and believe in this.