Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 17:13
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Low Carb
Stats: 205/173/175 Male 5-10
BF:
Progress: 107%
Default Using Bacon Grease for Frying

I have a George Foreman grill with a receptacle for oil that flows down the grill's inclined surface. I used to throw away the grease from bacon and meats that I grill.

I'm thinking about just collecting the grease for use in frying. The proverbial bacon grease that our great grandmas used to use!

Is this that simple? Just collect and use? Store at room temperature? No refrigeration required? Mixing bacon grease with grease from pork, salmon, beef, etc. ... is this a problem in some way?

Why am I taking this route? Coconut oil is too expensive. I'm on a gluten- and dairy-free diet, so butter is out. I'm debating to take the ghee route but I'm not sure if the "clarified butter" has small amounts of lactose or ghee. Plus, this seems just too economical. Just store in a plastic bin, refrigerate if necessary, and this is better than recycling.

What do people think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 18:31

Plan: my own
Stats: 285/247/199 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 44%

Certainly can use the bacon grease again, not sure how all the grease together would be. I would think it best to strain it while it was still hot. Then it would be just the different flavorings that would be added to what you are cooking.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 18:31

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I usually pour the grease back on the food and eat it as nature intended.

But if there is a lot of grease I save some in a 1 pint glass mason jar (plastic absorbs flavours & scents); I don't strain it - I like the flavoured bits and it is easier not to strain it. If you put it in the fridge, you'll get layered grease. I don't know that I'd want fish oil mixed in with others, but you can store different types in different jars.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 12:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/131/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 86%

I keep all my bacon drippings, although I don't keep the drippings from other meats. I use 1 cup metal "measuring cups" and pint mason jars. I just keep it in the fridge, although seems to be fine if I leave it out for the day. If it would go rancid, keeping it in smaller quantities would keep it from all going bad.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 13:20

Plan: LCHF/Keto
Stats: 162/116.6/117 Female 61 inches
BF:30.6%/22.0%/22.1%
Progress: 101%

Back in the day, my mom collected both her bacon and sausage grease in a container that looked like a miniature tea pot (and it actually had "grease" printed on the front of it). She kept it on top of the stove. She used it regularly for frying everything, so it never sat around to go rancid. I'm not fond of the flavor of sausage grease, so I only save my bacon grease (little bits and all). I don't use it every single day, so I keep it in my fridge and it lasts a good long while, but I do use it (now) without guilt. Try it on kale chips.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 13:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

I read somewhere you have to keep it in the fridge. But I do remember when folks left it in the can on the stove that said grease. I'm just being safe and putting it in the refridge. Sure is handy for my green beans.

Donna
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 13:50

Plan: LCHF/Keto
Stats: 162/116.6/117 Female 61 inches
BF:30.6%/22.0%/22.1%
Progress: 101%

It does go rancid if you leave it out too long. My mom just used it daily (and created it daily), so it was a pretty constant turnover. I don't use it as much as she did, so I definitely keep mine refrigerated. But I do love it. A quick way to do greenbeans is to throw some bacon grease in the skillet on medium and toss a couple cans of drained green beans in and stir them around in that grease until they're hot.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 22:23
4 phases Use them

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 250/250/180 Male 70 Inches
BF:ack/ack/ack
Progress: 0%

I collect it and keep it in a bowl beside my stove. I use it every morning for my eggs.

I don't strain it because I love the bits of bacon in it.

My mom used to save her bacon grease and simply keep it by the stove like I do. I have never had it go rancid on me.

John
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 23:18
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%

I've had my jar on the counter for several months. It has not gone rancid and I use it to cook lean meats. YUM!

PS: I generally don't have a problem with animal fats going rancid once they're "rendered" but all my vegetable oils have gone rancid. Made me go "Hmm" awhile back once I realized this. All the soap I made with animal fats are still good. The soaps I made with vegetable oils or veg oils blended in routinely go rancid if I leave a 5% or more margin of oil after saponification for moisturizing properties. The only vegetable oil that this does NOT happen with is coconut oil. Coconut oil blended with both lard and tallow makes for a nice hard bar of soap that stores forever quite well.

Why do I bring up soap in relationship to fats? To show that my leaving the bacon grease on the counter for months on end has not been problematic in any way, shape or form. Fry on!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 08:33

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 205/152/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

we keep ours right beside the stove on the counter. i've never refrigerated it and as far as i know, it's never gone bad. we don't use it daily or sometimes even weekly. now i'm curious how long it would actually take to go bad.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-11, 10:57

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

I keep it in a mason jar under the sink. (I don't want to look at it sitting out.) My mom and grandma did the same. I've been using the same jar for years, just adding in and using from it as I need fat or have more to add. It has never gone rancid, and I live in the heat of Dallas, TX.

I don't make bacon often (monthly, maybe), but when I do, I make a few pounds of it in the oven on baking sheets and can fill the jar quite easily with the drippings. Then, I use it to cook eggs, green beans, brussel sprouts, greens, cabbage, etc.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-11, 13:59

Plan: Meat & Eggs/IF
Stats: 165.2/159.6/155 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by faduckeggs
I keep it in a mason jar under the sink. (I don't want to look at it sitting out.) My mom and grandma did the same. I've been using the same jar for years, just adding in and using from it as I need fat or have more to add. It has never gone rancid, and I live in the heat of Dallas, TX.

I don't make bacon often (monthly, maybe), but when I do, I make a few pounds of it in the oven on baking sheets and can fill the jar quite easily with the drippings. Then, I use it to cook eggs, green beans, brussel sprouts, greens, cabbage, etc.

Hmm, I never even thought about doing this. I do remember my mom keeping a can of grease on the stove as well for frying. When I fry my bacon, if it is too much, I will pour out half of it but add butter to fry my eggs, this brings much flavor to my eggs which I don't have to add salt to
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 20:07
Registered Member

Plan: Newbie to Paleo!
Stats: 184/184/132 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Not to go off subject, but what are kale chips?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 23:58

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2live
Not to go off subject, but what are kale chips?

Just what it sounds like lol. You take kale, cut it up, put salt and I think olive oil on it, and throw it in the oven until it gets crisp and chip like. I think when you cut them up you remove the tough stem? I am not sure about the temp you cook them at though. I think I vaguely remember it being like 400F, but I am not sure. I think some people put Parmesan cheese on theirs as well.

I have actually seen them for sale before, I was kinda shocked!