Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-11, 23:45
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Low Carb
Stats: 205/173/175 Male 5-10
BF:
Progress: 107%
Default What's Best w/Coffe for Those Paleos Trying to Forgo Milk

I'm trying to drop all dairy products from my diet, including milk, cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, yogurt, etc.

One thing I haven't give up, however, is heavy cream with my coffee. Does anyone have a good substitute? I've tried having my coffee black but it doesn't quite do it for me. I've tried coconut milk and Almond Breeze (almond drink) but they don't quite impress my taste buds either.

For those who used to be avid coffee drinkers, how have you, if at all, adapted to a dairy-free diet with regard to coffee? I can't drink raw milk since I'm T2 diabetic.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-11, 00:46

Plan: Paleo/Anabolic Solution
Stats: 310/285/240 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

Truthfully, if you can tolerate the heavy cream without any gastric issues, I say keep the heavy cream. It has little to no lactose in it. Here's a good write up about it: http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/...bohydrates.html. It's damn near not dairy, especially as insulin responses are concerned.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-11, 06:13
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I love Specialty Java's Organic Sumatra. Very smooth, not acidic.

www.specialtyjava.com
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-11, 09:18

Plan: My own
Stats: 100/100/100 Male approx 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

Coconut cream is cheap (around $2.00 a can), delicious, and can be used in place of cow's cream in many recipes. Make sure you get cream though. Some manufacturers don't know the difference between coconut cream, milk, and water. Thai Kitchen is a common brand that gets it right; just be sure to buy original, not lite. SO Delicious makes an unsweetened coconut milk for 3-4 dollars that is a great replacement for cows milk,
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-11, 17:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Someone posted a recipe for non-dairy paleo creamer, it's in here somewhere.

Frankly, it took me a couple of weeks to go black and never go back.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 00:38
Registered Member

BF:

I just read PaNu and this guy Harris makes a lot of sense. I'm not lactose intolerant and I believe ... at least that's my working hypothesis ... my issue is gluten. So perhaps I should go gluten free first, see what happens, then go dairy free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkman5
Truthfully, if you can tolerate the heavy cream without any gastric issues, I say keep the heavy cream. It has little to no lactose in it. Here's a good write up about it: http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/...bohydrates.html. It's damn near not dairy, especially as insulin responses are concerned.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 00:43
Registered Member

BF:

I just bought Thai Kitchen's coconut milik, not cream. In fact, they don't seem to make coconut cream. I also consume SO Delicious's coconut milk (only the unsweetened one) but I think it's too weak to sub for coffee. The Tahi Kitchen coconut milk that comes in a can is a bit stronger. I've seen Goya's coconut milk around. Now, Goya's coconut cream ... of the varieties I've seen ... has too much sugar.

Anyone know of a stronger coconut milk/cream that could sub for whipping cream, that is low in carb? I could live with Thai Kitchen but I am pining for something more rich and creamy, just like heavy cream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatepig
Coconut cream is cheap (around $2.00 a can), delicious, and can be used in place of cow's cream in many recipes. Make sure you get cream though. Some manufacturers don't know the difference between coconut cream, milk, and water. Thai Kitchen is a common brand that gets it right; just be sure to buy original, not lite. SO Delicious makes an unsweetened coconut milk for 3-4 dollars that is a great replacement for cows milk,
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 07:02

Plan: My own
Stats: 100/100/100 Male approx 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thai kitchen calls the milk cream, I should have mentioned that. It doesn't get any heavier. However, I have whipped the stuff before, and it came out just fine.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 08:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've never seen Thai Kitchen coconut cream, but don't use Savoy coconut cream in your coffee. It does not work.

Maxell, are you talking something dessert-like?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 09:24

Stats: 165/152/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Back to the creamer... what about using nut milks? Cashew and almond milks are pretty easy to buy or make. Here is a recipe for "cashew cream" that i've never tried but that looks awesome. In a different post, the author recommends it for coffee:

http://rawepicurean.net/2008/06/21/cashew-cream/

nondairy "whip creams"~ i know of some soy based vegan ones but they are, of course, highly processed, full of sugar, and not paleo. you could try using a coconut based yogurt, which in my experience is more creamy than dairy yogurts. it's not easy to make, tho, so you might have to buy it at a health food store! there may be other options depending on the application. what do you want whipped cream for, other than inserting into mouth directly?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 10:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I like Trader Joe's Bay Blend. It's very nice. However, I've partly decafinated myself so I mix in some Kirkland Decaf (big, green can from Costco). I HATE decaf. There's some flavor/smell in it I can taste that some people can't. However, this is one of the least objectionable and it does have a very rich, dark flavor.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 21:39

Plan: Low Carb High Nutrition
Stats: 160/148.8/145 Female 5' 6"
BF:33/29.4/25
Progress: 75%

Here's what I use:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=418335

I thought I might get tired of it, but I'm still using it, and convinced that it is one of the reasons my weight has finally starting inching down again.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 06:53
Independent Thinker

Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I've wanted to give up hwc for a while now. I tried all the "creamers," nut milks, coconut milks, and various recipes, and imo, none of it comes close to heavy whipping cream. The only advice I have for you is to try drinking coffee black. But do try a good-quality, non-acidic coffee, like the one I linked to in my previous post, or something similar, (Sumatra is a dark coffee that is low acid) for a few days and see how you do on it. If you absolutely cannot stand the taste of it, (like me) then buy a couple of cans of full-fat coconut milk (I favor Native Forest Organic brand) and put them in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning, scoop the all the thick cream off, place in a container, flavor with vanilla extract if you like, and discard the thin liquid in the can, which is mostly water and guar gum. Use the thick cream in your coffee. That's about as close as you will get to heavy whipping cream. If you like the taste of coconut, you will like it.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-11, 21:34

Plan: my own
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Black "didn't do it for me" either, I was a diehard double-cream person. But there isn't really a substitute for cream, and I found it just took a little while to get used to... I actually prefer it black now. I would smell the coffee and my mouth was expecting something else for a while but it was just a mental adjustment. So don't be too quick to reject black.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-11, 11:40

Plan: Paleo Diet
Stats: 160/149/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 37%

[QUOTE=FMN]Here's what I use:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=418335

I tried this this morning using Thai Kitchen coconut milk. I was going to try mixing it with egg whites only (uncooked egg yolk has a high yuck factor for me) but the milk alone, w/coconut oil & vanilla added in, is plenty rich & thick for my taste. And it stays suspended in the coffee, which is nice. I've been using soymilk (I know, not very paleo-ish) and it just sinks to the bottom so I've had to keep a spoon in the coffee constantly. I stopped using coconut milk awhile back because of its fructose content, but I seem to be reacting to fructose a little less now so I'll see how this works out for awhile. Thanks for the tip!