Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 20:32

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

Okay, I "budgeted" to eat out tonight. I decided to have the mashed potatoes. I'm "guessing" a half of a cup. It was Ruby Tuesday's, not a huge serving. I'm not even sure the steak was really 7 ounces, but it was thick. I'm not brave enough to slap a scale on the table.

I'll let you know how it is in the morning. I hope it's not mourning! Because I LOVE potatoes.

eta:Just so anyone who was wondering wouldn't have to hunt for the result. I am up a pound. However, I also had one glass of wine. In the future, I may wait a few more weeks and hopefully lose more than 4 or 5 pounds to give it another go. I am still not quite in my ratios, though my total calories were low, because I didn't get enough fat. And maybe that's the issue and not the potatoes.

Last edited by 2bthinner! : Fri, Apr-24-09 at 06:56.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 21:03

Plan: General Low Carb/ Optimal
Stats: 235/223/180 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%

Whats the pate recipe using chicken livers? anyone have it?
  #138   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 21:30
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%
Default To Kallyn - Vanilla Salt

Elizabeth,

I keep trying to answer your PM - but keep getting a message that you have too many messages in your account. We're only allowed ten total - and that includes any copies you may have kept in your 'sent' folder. So.... I'll post it here, and hope you see it!
-------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
I have one whole long bean that is currently in 4 pieces. My salt is finely ground sea salt.

Try 1/2 cup of your salt (pulse several times to break up the bean before pushing 'on') -- then taste to see how potent it is. You don't want to dilute it too much; it's mostly for cooking/baking where a little goes a long way. If it seems too strong just add a bit more salt. You can always add more, never take away.

One tip: after you put the bean and salt into the processor bowl, cover the top with saran wrap before putting on the lid. It will keep the salt from flying all over the place. Let me know how it goes...

Lisa
  #139   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 21:48

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ack, sorry about that! I thought I had 5 spots left in my inbox for some reason - I didn't realize that my sent messages counted towards my limit.

Anyway, I'll try it out tomorrow! Thanks for the advice.
  #140   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 03:56

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianJ
I'm eating french fries too. But I'm not enjoying them because I can't cook them properly.
Here is an explanation of how to cook chips (french fries in USA) from http://www.easypeasy.com/guides/article.php?article=55
Quote:
Perfect Chunky Chips
How to cook great chips???The secret to perfect chips is to double fry them. This results in a soft moist centre and a lovely crunchy outer skin. That's how a perfect chip should be - although it seems to be so hard to find these days when you're eating out.

A great potato for making chips is the Maris Piper or King Edward. Peel and cut them into big chunky chips ("fries" for all those who don't speak proper English). Wash them to remove some of the starch and dry VERY well on ktichen paper towel. (You really don't want to be chucking water or anthing wet into a pan of hot fat).

Next - cook the chips in oil at 120 degrees Celcius. This first cooking process draws the starch to the outside of the chip and seals in the moisture - essential for that soft moist centre.

In this cooked state you can actually store them for up to a day.

Then cook again in oil, this time at 175 - 185 degrees Celcius. At this temperature the surface sugars in the chip begin to combine to form long molecule chains, and it's this process that makes the chip surface go crispy.

Season and serve!

#141   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 06:21

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by soule72
Whats the pate recipe using chicken livers? anyone have it?

The one I used (brought the last of it for lunch today, damn it's good. May have to get more chicken livers) is from the cookbook 'Nourishing Traditions'. I'll try to remember to post it when I have the cookbook handy!

But *in general* it's something like:

In a large skillet sauté a chopped up onion and a 1/2 pound of mushrooms in butter (I used bacon drippings, and only had a 1/4 pound mushrooms handy). When they are getting soft and cooked looking add 1 pound of chicken livers (my container was 20 oz and I used the whole thing). Sauté about 10 minutes or so until the chicken livers are looking "done" (but should still be slightly pinkish on the inside).

At that point add a tsp or so of mustard, some sea salt, and 2/3 cup white wine, other suggested seasonings (I added a little rosemary). Simmer gently until the liquid is essentially all reduced (about 15 minutes), then remove from heat. Allow to cool to about room temp, and then place everything in a food processor. Add a 1/2 stick (1/4 pound) of softened butter and then blend in the processor until smooth and blended.

Scrape out of blender and pack down into a crock or jar.

That's basically it. but later on I'll check the cookbook to see what I missed, though I don't think I missed *too* much.

Last edited by Merpig : Fri, Apr-24-09 at 06:28.
  #142   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 06:23

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwgirl
Are many of you eating fruit?

In general I am not eating fruit, as wanting to keep my fructose low. I have had fruit once in the two weeks I've been on this plan, and that was on Easter Sunday where I was not exactly stringent, and had some fresh strawberries and blueberries with whipped cream.

Still, the local farmer's market opens for the season on June 6, and that should be right in strawberry season, so I may well have to break down and have some fruit then. The season may only last a few weeks but the farmer's market strawberries are awesome.
  #143   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 07:18

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Anyway since upping my fat intake it's <unbelievable> hard for me to consume enough carbs. I leave the carbs for the evening and usually it's a struggle to get those 60 grams of carbs.

So I wonder if you have some nice idea on what to eat to get enough carbs. I don't want to eat potatoes every night and bread I live better without it. Pumpkin and winter squash are not in season. I don't tolerate many fruits and can't afford eating strawberries every night.

So whatever idea is welcome.

How about a bowl of popcorn with a TON of butter
  #144   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 07:23

mmmm...just thinking about eating popcorn with butter is making me want to try this diet again. I'm like NancyLC though and dairy usually stops all intestinal movement for me

Right now I am following the specific carbohydrate diet to try to heal my insides and you are never allowed corn but I have had a serious love affair with popcorn in the past. Maybe after a month or so I will be healed enough that I can try to add some popcorn (wishful thinking, I know)
  #145   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 08:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
mmmm...just thinking about eating popcorn with butter is making me want to try this diet again. I'm like NancyLC though and dairy usually stops all intestinal movement for me

Aw! I've had to resort to Bunker Busters (suppositories) a couple times now. Talk about nasty and painful.

Well, the cheese is gone just need to consume a few pints of heavy cream, sour cream, and creme fraiche and perhaps I can find regularity again. I did enjoy my cheese holiday very much, except for the bathroom issues.
  #146   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 08:42
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
So I wonder if you have some nice idea on what to eat to get enough carbs. I don't want to eat potatoes every night and bread I live better without it. Pumpkin and winter squash are not in season. I don't tolerate many fruits and can't afford eating strawberries every night.

So whatever idea is welcome.

I've been getting gluten free rice crackers at Trader Joe's. They're small little things. I think about 35 makes up about 25 carbs or so, so I usually have 1/3 serving at a time.
  #147   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 09:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Aw! I've had to resort to Bunker Busters (suppositories) a couple times now. Talk about nasty and painful.

Well, the cheese is gone just need to consume a few pints of heavy cream, sour cream, and creme fraiche and perhaps I can find regularity again. I did enjoy my cheese holiday very much, except for the bathroom issues.

Bunker Busters LOL Been there, done that, don't want to ever go there again!

Yeah, I've been known to go on a few cheese benders myself and it is always so much better going in than coming out. I always think maybe this time will be different but it never is
  #148   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 09:20
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
Yeah, I've been known to go on a few cheese benders myself and it is always so much better going in than coming out. I always think maybe this time will be different but it never is

LOL! It really does always feel like such a self-indulgence... and it truly always is. Cheese is like crack for me. They need to have meetings for people who abuse it.
  #149   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 09:34

BF:

I haven't been abusing cheese, as I don't particularly care for cheese, but I have been going way overboard on butter and cream. It's kind of shocking to me how much I've eaten of both of them in the past week.

Once I use up the dairy I bought for the OD experiment I'm definitely going to go back to my mostly paleo ways and see how high I can get the fat without resorting to milk products.
  #150   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 09:39

BF:

Just as an example of how far I've sunk into dairy-land...

Last night I made tiramisu filling. It was 8oz mascarpone cheese beat with 3 egg yolks, 1/4 cup erythritol, a dash of vanilla, and a dash of orange liqueur. Then I whipped a cup of heavy cream and folded it in.

This morning I ate some of it with a spoon for breakfast and washed it down with teeccino made with 1/4 cup heavy cream.