Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 22:37

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 100 inches
BF:I wish I knew!
Progress: 85%
Default What is your fat source?

What do you eat for your fat?? I don't believe the hype about saturated fat being good for you, like coconut oil.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-07, 00:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast
What do you eat for your fat?? I don't believe the hype about saturated fat being good for you, like coconut oil.

Trust me, it's not hype.

Have a read of the following, for a start.
Quote:
The Benefits of Saturated Fats

The much-maligned saturated fats—which Americans are trying to avoid—are not the cause of our modern diseases. In fact, they play many important roles in the body chemistry:

* Saturated fatty acids constitute at least 50% of the cell membranes. They are what gives our cells necessary stiffness and integrity.

* They play a vital role in the health of our bones. For calcium to be effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure, at least 50% of the dietary fats should be saturated.38

* They lower Lp(a), a substance in the blood that indicates proneness to heart disease.39 They protect the liver from alcohol and other toxins, such as Tylenol.40

* They enhance the immune system.41

* They are needed for the proper utilization of essential fatty acids.
Elongated omega-3 fatty acids are better retained in the tissues when the diet is rich in saturated fats. 42

* Saturated 18-carbon stearic acid and 16-carbon palmitic acid are the preferred foods for the heart, which is why the fat around the heart muscle is highly saturated.43 The heart draws on this reserve of fat in times of stress.

* Short- and medium-chain saturated fatty acids have important antimicrobial properties. They protect us against harmful microorganisms in the digestive tract.

The scientific evidence, honestly evaluated, does not support the assertion that "artery-clogging" saturated fats cause heart disease.44 Actually, evaluation of the fat in artery clogs reveals that only about 26% is saturated. The rest is unsaturated, of which more than half is polyunsaturated.45

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/skinny.html

I would also suggest you click on the link so you can read the entire page. A well worthwhile exercise.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-08, 22:52
Registered Member

Plan: very high fat diet
Stats: 185/185/185 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast

as someone who's diet is 50% saturated fat, i must say you are grossly mistaken
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-08, 00:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/129.4/133 Female 160cm
BF:28%
Progress: 112%

My fat intake is mostly saturated fat. I just got my bloodwork done and my numbers were excellent so from experience I can tell you it's not just hype.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-08, 01:29

Plan: Generic
Stats: 176/166/145 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:Yeah I guess
Progress: 32%

My dietary fat comes from a variety of sources, nuts and avacados are a big ones for me, I use olive or flaxseed oil cold for dressings and coconut oil for cooking. you have your own personal beliefs and I respect that but don't discount coconut oil too quickly, only saturated fat doesn't turn to trans-fat when you heat it to cook with. By definition all mono and poly unsaturated oils turn to transfat with heating, I don't use a lot but I prefer to avoid all transfats by using the little cooking fat I do from saturated forms.