Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 20:22
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
For those of you with Trader Joe's around, I recommend the "Sun dried tomato pesto torta", it's in the Deli section. It's a dip like thing with sundried tomatos, pesto and cream cheese. Strangely enough I like to kind of crumbled it into my salads.

We have exactly one TJ's in the state -- and we only got them 3 months ago. I practically live there now. I hope they have the torta here -- it's a very small store -- but if not they can probably order it for me. It sounds delicious.

The beef cheeks (yes, from the part near the tongue, not the, um, bottom ) were beyond wonderful.

Last night I marinated them in good red wine, with a diced onion and roughly chopped carrot and celery.

Today I patted off the meat and browned it in oil. Removed it to a platter and sauteed an onion, a few diced carrots, two celery stalks and three large garlic cloves. When they were soft, I added back the drained marinade and a can of diced tomatoes (unsalted) including juice. I put back the meat and about six sliced Yukon Gold fingerlings, plus spices liked smoked paprika and smoked salt. Put the whole shebang into the microwave/convection oven on 10% micro/275 degrees for 2.5 hours.

OMG. The meat and potatoes had absorbed almost all the liquid, which was thick and creamy. I ate my share (4 oz meat plus 3 oz potatoes, plus veg and sauce - topped with sour cream) with a spoon, that's how meltingly tender the meat was. And the potatoes! This dish was truly nirvana. I can see how the beef cheeks have earned their cult status in some of the world's finest restaurants.

Finished the day with cocoa coconut ice-cream, topped with whipped cream and more toasted coconut ribbons. My tummy is exceedingly happy.

Lisa