Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 09:40
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 170/160/150 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default 100 mile diet

anyone see this site or hear about it, im thinking on trying it out.

http://100milediet.org/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 10:54

Plan: LC, HF, PP
Stats: 214/188.2/140 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

Yeah, try that in Cleveland, OH! LOL. I am working towards buying from local butchers and local produce in the summer tho'...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 12:29
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 170/160/150 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 50%

luckily i live in in Berks/Lancaster country

home of the AMish, so it would be fairly easy for me.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 12:48

Plan: 90% classic Schwarzbein
Stats: 342/257/165 Female 5'7"
BF:>55%/51%/<30%
Progress: 48%

I've been trying to increase the percentage of our food that comes from local sources for the past year. I'm not willing to make it enough of a commitment to try a 100 mile limit, but I believe in it for both economic and health reasons. We grow some of our own fruits and veggies (in a small urban yard near Detroit), but my main sources are the local farmers market and a grocery store that uses regional suppliers.

One hurdle I have to get over in order to better practice local buying is seasonality. At 37, I've always lived in an America where I can find almost any vegetables and fruits at any time of year. Until I started buying locally, I had very little sense of growing seasons. Now, I love to eat fresh cauliflower and spinach, and though I feel that I *should* eat them seasonally, I'm not quite ready to make that jump. Eventually, perhaps.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 22:56
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I have their book, haven't finished reading it yet.

I do try to stay local as much as possible. I'm lucky to live in a city that has a lot of farmer's markets going year-round and that is surrounded by lots of good pasture and growing country. Even my local grocery chain carries local foods, like eggs and (non-paleo) cheese.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-08, 12:53

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I saw that for the first time a couple of years ago.

It's something I keep in mind when shopping, but I don't follow the ideal 100%. I mean, I have a choice between canned coconut milk from Thailand or heavy cream from a regional farm. I choose the coconut milk because the cream makes me all stuffed up.

Now, in the produce aisle if I have a choice between locally grown conventional apples or organic apples flown in from CA, I'll go with the local ones.

I don't think any of my meat comes from too far away. The packaged Empire brand kosher poultry is packaged in NJ (I'm on Long Island) but I'm not sure about the stuff that's packaged in the store- again, I'm assuming it's not from too far away just because it wouldn't make economic sense when there are plenty of farms within a 100 mile radius.

If I kept kosher and lived in the middle of Kansas, I don't think I'd have as easy a time of it! I'd still be eating the chickens from NJ!