Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 05:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/217/140
BF:
Progress: 6%
Smile New Kid On The Block ....

Hi Everyone

I'm a new kid on the block to the low-carb life - - only registered yesterday to this site, and had been looking through the Introduction Forum but I got very excited today when I saw the forum related to Fibromyalgia, CFS, SAD etc.

The reason I have entered the LC world is through my husband. He has suffered with Fibromyalgia, CFS for the last 14 years (the whole of our married life). As I'm sure I do not need to explain to those who have suffered for years with these conditions, he has been through years of hell - - in and out of hospital, consultant after consultant, one type of antidepressant after the other - - these drugs are fine to shadow the problem for a while, but eventually it all catches up with you again.

Earlier this year we started looking for alternatives to the conventional orthodox medical route and started to investigate chinese herbalism, bio-energy healers, aromatherapy - - these all certainly helped to an extent - - we got him off the antidepressants he had been taking for years.

We then read Dr. St Amand's book on the Guaifenesin Protocol and we realised that my husband had a hypoglacemic problem. We self-administered the low carb diet and the improvement in his symptoms over the last week has been very encouraging. He is now going to try the Guai program and I will keep you posted on his progress.

My husband does not have a weight problem, so the diet is just for medical reasons, but I've suffered with a weight problem most of my life, so I thought I would be joining him on the LC plan to give him support and maybe it will help me - sure enough, I've only been on it 4 days and lost 4 pounds!

Sorry for the intial long message, but I'm so excited to have found a group of people who know exactly what my husband is suffering. He also appears to have SAD and I plan to get him a lightbox soon.

My husband is the most wonderful man and I really hope we are at last on the begining of a journey which will help turn his life around. He has so much to give and I just want to see his suffering reduced.

Health and happiness to you all.

Diana
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 10:05

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Diana,

Your husband is blessed to have such a supportive wife. You sound like a wonderful pair!

All the best on your quest. I am a firm believer in treating health with diet. I've seen it work so many times. Low-carb is great because it is so liveable. You stop craving the foods you can't have which is such a bonus. I'm sure you will enjoy it and you'll be very pleased as the pounds melt away. (Remember to change your stats in your profile so we can see it happen.)

Wishes for lots of success,
Kay