Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 10:21

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

well some time back we were arranging to meet, so far none yet. =P

sgmeerkat, does ur avatar show that u are in the midst of lcing? looks good.
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 20:10

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 51.5/47/42 Female 5'1"/155CM
BF:
Progress: 47%

Hi fumih, it'll be nice if some of us could meet up some time. With the chinese new year coming up, it will be a very trying period for us all I'm sure. High carb hell...

This avatar was taken 2 days before I started LCing in september. It serves as a reminder to prevent me from cheating!

How has LCing been for you? Do you eat when you go out? I realise that since I started LCing, esp when I embarked on 1972, I don't like eating food prepared outside. The thought of transfats/GMO/evil carbs/processing puts me off. And I can't believe how much control I have over my eating habits now. Do you feel the same way?
  #198   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 23:47

BF:

yeah in some way it affects the way you eat....more like a natural instinct that you tell the economic rice auntie 'no rice pls', and she will charge u higher that kind of thing.

well lcing has affected me in diff stages, there was one stage where i was really strict abt the kind of food intake. now that i have relaxed a bit, lcing has really blended in quite nicely as in terms of rice, sugar intake. sometimes i will still go for kfc's cheese fries....and now i am taking more fruits and vegetables.

but i just particularly note and afraid of irregular menses cycle...that i knew with some carb intake can make my menses more regular....hence the other reason for relaxing a bit further.
  #199   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 09:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 86/70/65 Male 163 cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMeerkat
to chip in a little:

You can reduce the breakdown of aspartame by adding it after you've turned the flame off. I use splenda only when I'm baking, but other times when the food doesn't need to be heated for an extended period of time, I add a mix of aspartame + K-sulfamate called granular Hermesetas.

Hi Sgmeerkat,

Where can you find splenda in Singapore? Right now I have to beg my friend in the UK to send some over or bring it over when she's visiting Singapore but I'd prefer to get it locally if possible.

Has anyone found asparteme to stall lc dieting? I take diet coke fairly regularly (considering that I use to drink normal coke by the gallons, shifting to diet coke is an amazement for my friends to witness), and would find life... hard... without my diet coke!

But I seem to be stalling... Not sure what's the cause. It's a lot harder to lc in Singapore than it was for me when I was in the UK (4 mths back and no weight loss since I came back here!)
  #200   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 08:21

BF:

fumih it's good that you're eating foods from the economical rice stalls. That opens up a lot of variety and convenience for you when you eat out. I'm still paranoid about my carbs so the thought of hidden carbs puts me off. It can be very troublesome since I've taken to the habit of preparing meals and eating before I leave the house.

wow KFC cheese fries! It looks like you've attained carb-karma, can eat carbs and still maintain losing. I dare not leave this no-carb comfort zone yet. Congrats You have truly lost a lot of weight!

stormfall, no I get my splenda from all over the place too, mainly Aust and UK. And I get my granular hermesetas from the UK as well. I use liquid hermesetas (pure saccharin) too. It cannot be imported into Singapore, because of the strict labelling laws we have here. Equal is sold as an artificial sweetener because it is packaged as a health alternative. However splenda did not pass the labelling laws in Singapore because it's marketed purely as a "diet" low-calorie food, not a health food. But it doesn't explain how there are certain items here that are made with sucralose being sold (Eg Diet Swiss Miss, Baskin Robbins SF candies). I'm afraid I can't give you a more comprehensive answer, because this was the explanation given to me when I called the AVA up here. It is amazing how they have perfected giving the most cryptic answers possible, to an art.

As for aspartame, it is known to cause stalls in some people, so if you've started taking diet coke only since you returned to SG, then it could well be the culprit. I know that when I first started adding granular hermesetas to my food, it created such bad cravings in me that I ate a lot of it and it stalled me. So personally, too much of aspartame does stall me, but if taken moderately, it's ok. Do you drink much diet coke?

Alternatively, since you have friends visiting from the UK, you can get them to buy you Shapers fizzy drinks from Boots as well. It's made with sucralose and comes in Raspberry and Lemon/Lime. I keep an inventory of them, for times when I need a fizzy drink. I try to avoid diet coke as much as I can. But making cola chicken with diet coke is yummy. The UK has a far better spread of LC products. I like Carb Options Ketchup and BBQ sauce; they are very good!

Do you also watch out for hidden carbs? It's easier to LC eating angmoh cuisine, but back home our local fare's got hidden evils all over. Gravies have starches, and seasonings (eg oyster sauce, thick sweet soya sauce) can be really bad. Or maybe you've hit a plateau?

CNY's coming, how's everyone going to deal with the tempting foods???
List your 1) plan and 2) CNY weaknesses here!

Mine to start off:

1) plan: bring a bag of nuts or a pack of LC snack or chocolate with me to each visit! then suffer from sugar alcohols later...

2) weaknesses: Kueh lapis, Bakkwa, chocolate cream love letters, love letters.

Last edited by SGMeerkat : Mon, Jan-17-05 at 08:31.
  #201   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 10:42

BF:

well my attitude towards lcing now is just to relax and see what i can do at the pt of time... so for coming cny:

1) plan to just go there and pick out whatever i can eat, even it means to sneak away and throw away that pizza crust! yes i do that...i can even deal with big crowd of relatives enjoying the pizza while i lick away the salami and cheese only.

2) take a little bit of rice, as i said relax! its CNY! and its not a boring x'mas....so be happy. take everything? yes, just moderate. or else just chew on the mandarin oranges...hahaha lets see how many oranges i can eat this time. bakkwa, pineapple tarts are my fav! well i always go to my grannie's hse to cut up the bakkwa into squares...so i cut one, and ate 20% of it hahaha....i have no prob with bakkwas....but my weight doesnt go off la.

3) else, if i really koe i will kena some sinful foods, i will prob eat my fill at home first...but i dont think so for my family and relatives...they either have steamboat or bbq this year...

4) soft drinks wise....i will prob take one cup of it to please em....if i am sick of it i go get plain water.

5) i always remember, my largest base is vege and fruits den followed by proteins...will nev get wrong. well i dislike nuts, so prob i still go for bakkwa.

====
For Asian cuisine, yes it is nevertheless laden with starch...and in fact i always add a little of it even for my protein cooking...well just stick with the least amt of starch....i hardly compare with angmo dishes coz angmo dishes sure win. i just always head down to either western food stalls or economic rice stalls.

oh btw, today after work i was actually rushing to attend an evening church session...so i happened to drop by burger king at novena....wow i was so surprised that it has something really for low-carbers! but bet in the whole rest, i was the only one eating this salmon w caesar salad. mind you, i could tell the carbs in the salmon cake and the salad dressing. well the rest are ok, loads of greens and diet coke. i am not sure if this low-carb menu will be a flop, but if we low carbers support them by paying $6 for veges, some proteins and one diet coke....its ok right?

so far the other prev low-carb menu is coffee bean n tea leaf. anyone tried?

btw, i didnt reach any carb-enlightenment by cosying up to cheese fries. its merely how strict i am....~ but of course i added in more exercise to subdue my guilt. last time i could afford to lose 20kg without exercising and with strict Atkins. Now that i cant since i am working, i need regular exercise to help remove those carbs.

btw, i actually tried a slimming massage therapy....to tone up my tummy. well i think it works pretty well but it burns a hole in my pkt. think many places such as marie france have it...i tot marie france only has machine type of therapy. btw, i am not their client...~
  #202   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 20:35

BF:

Wow fumih you've got it down to a pat! I can only think of doing all that next CNY. For now, I'll have to be more disciplined. And I do agree that the older folks may get offended if we don't eat just a little bit. I've been attending 10-course dinners and putting food on my plate, just for the show, and then passing it to the bf. I'm too paranoid la. It's easier for me to follow the books to the T. The only exception for me is during Holy Communion. I don't see a LC alternative

Actually I found strict atkins not to be so boring, but you need to have the time to experiment with cooking and baking. So far I've found it to be fun and exciting.

Yeah I've read that CBATL has a LC menu but I've never tried it. How was the salad? Is it real salmon or a processed fillet? Sounds like a good change from the usual meat patty routine. I agree with you, we should support them, so they'll keep it up. Cold Storage needs support from us as well. The atkins items they have brought in, are on trial at the moment. Whether they become a permanent offering will depend on the market response. I hope they stay!

I've just made a first attempt at baking LC brownies. I didn't have a recipe to follow so I tweaked an old recipe I have, substituting flour with whey protein and almond meal. It's in the oven right now. I hope it works cos I sweetened it with a mix of stevia + aspartame + splenda. Is anyone keen on a LC potluck? Hehe.
  #203   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 05:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 123/123/123 Female 123
BF:
Progress:

hi guys. i've been lurking around this forum for quite some time. and boy is it not ez to lc in sg where it's a carb paradise.

well my qns is that can equal withstand heat? cos i really want to bake some chocolate cookies for CNY and i've got unsweetened chocolates, took a bite of it and it tastes horrible! i really need to sweeten it.

comments anyone?
  #204   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 09:13

BF:

Hi deathmint,

perhaps you can do chocolate coated cookies. In that way you don't have to "cook" the equal too much and your choc tastes sweet. Aspartame breaks down when exposed to heat over a period of time eg baking, from what I've read. However, I've cooked using a blend of aspartame and sulfamate-K and it still retained its sweetness.

If you do actually make the chocolate coated cookies, since you have unsweetened choc, add the equal after the chocolate's melted and removed from the heat source. That way the aspartame doesn't break down as much.

I'm making chocolate nut clusters for CNY. I'm using splenda, but you can use any artificial sweetener really.

Also, if you're needing a sweet fix, Nature's Farm carries Carb Slim Bites which are made with erythritol. Good news is erythritol doesn't stall or give gas problems like other SAs. And there is a promo going on now. Buy any item in the store and you can get the bites at $0.99 a pack. It tastes good too.

Hope this helps.
  #205   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 21:58

Plan: aa
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 1.8m
BF:
Progress:

Hi evreyone here.

Im new here n totally new to Atkins Diet. In fact, I read jux read about it yesterday.. However, I have been going low on carb for the past 2 weeks.

Starting my induction period today.... Luckily, i am never a carb person. n I loves fishes. Can eat them for 3 meals everyday..

Morning bought 1 vegetables bun n 1 meat bao for breakfast.. Eat the fillings n threw the rest away.

Have been having walks every evening/nites for the past 2 weeks. Slowly would change into slow jog.

I have yet to get any books on LC or Atkins diet.. so in the meanwhile.. would have to depend on you guys for any info...
  #206   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 09:08

BF:

Hi CSLH, first of all, let me welcome you on board even tho I'm quite new to this site too.

It's great that you like fish cos you can have plenty of it while on Atkins, not to mention the good omega stuff you'll be getting from them. However if you are starting on the atkins diet, you'll have to get the list of acceptable foods from the atkins website. Take a look at it and you'll get a rough idea of what you can and can't eat.

The list doesn't contain our local asian veggies and food so here are some things you can have: all our green vegetables eg chyesim, bakchoy, xiao bai cai, kangkong. You can also eat deep fried ikan bilis (but not the sweet sambal that comes with it) among the other fish.

Regarding the paos that you had, there are hidden sugars in the vegetable bun cos the filling is usually made up of carrot and turnip. Carrot's not on the list of acceptable foods so it's better to eat less of it. As for the meat bun, cornstarch is used to bind the meat into a ball so that can be a problem as well. A lot of sugar is also used to season both the meat and veggie fillings.

Our local foods contain a lot of hidden sugars, eg cornstarch (thick gravies), oyster sauce, even thick dark soya sauce (esp the sweet type).

If you're unsure of what you can and can't put into your mouth, here's a website to check the carb content of local ingredients and dishes.
Singapore Health Promotion Board's Food Info Search

Good luck!
  #207   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 19:08

Plan: aa
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 1.8m
BF:
Progress:
Default A Brand new start

Thanx...........SGMeerkat

You are right...... outside food really contain a lot of sugar ... I was really at a loss of what to eat for luch yesterday...

So i guess my induction period could only start today........ Had steam chicken n some veg for breakfast.. going to have that for lunch too........ (cooked at home n bring to office) dinner would be steam fish n prawns.........
  #208   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-05, 00:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/147.4/125 Male 160cm
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default New member to atkins diet

hi hi! good to now there are so many atkins diet supporter in Singapore!

i just started atkins diet for less than two months. It must be said that i never follow induction rules strictly except for the first two weeks. However, I cut down on my food and go to gym room for 2 hrs everyday.

I have since get rid of 7kg of weight, from 70kg to 63kg. My tageted weight is 58kg - 60kg.

My question, I am finding it particularly diff to follow strictly an atkins diet in long run. I can resist rice, noodle etc. but the sauce/gravy for chicken chop? the crispy skin of fried chicken?

for me, i will do both carb counting and calories counting. I tend to eat mainly meat and vege, but limit the calories intake to maybe 1500 calories. I think a normal adult can burn away 2500 calories a days? plus daily exercise, i think that will keep my weight under controled.

the main advantage for atkins diet is the "metabolism advantage" as fuel efficiency for protein and fat are lower than carbonhydrate. i don't quite understand the point that we need to limit our carbonhydrate intake to less than 20gram to kick start lipolysis. i mean, if i take in 100 gram of net carb, but only with 500 calories, surely my body will have to fuel my energy from somewhere else either from our mussle or fat! and i think our body will start using fat as fuel first....

i have to clear my doubts about atkins diet before i can be a believer and life time follower of it.... but i'm glad that it has help me to slim down (although i don't follow strictly)
  #209   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-05, 06:17

BF:

Hi Tristan,

welcome to this grp of atkins-doers....

you mentioned abt the intake of carbs...........well probably u have not totally understood from reading the atkins book. basically carbs when taken into the body converts to glucose. and this will actually turn into body fats....thats my impression. so logically if u limit ur carb intake, less glucose means less new body fats. so ur body will have to take out body fats which have been stored for a long time to burn.

but pls dont go according to ur weighing machine, go by ur waist inches...or try a tight clothing now and then to gauge. if u exercise as well, u know that it creates more muscle mass and makes u heavier.

My question, I am finding it particularly diff to follow strictly an atkins diet in long run. I can resist rice, noodle etc. but the sauce/gravy for chicken chop? the crispy skin of fried chicken?

# its a very good qn... my own experience tells me that i shld not be keeping too strict that i binge.....sometimes allow urself to........reward urself. but do keep in mind not to go overboard. personally i allow gravy, chicken skin (dont be afraid of animal fat).

I have been in and out of atkins (i duly admit) since 1998. the best times were the first few years that i shed 20kg purely on dieting without exercise. but that time it was too spartan for me...i practically have to note every single meal intake. of course the downside of relaxing is that u dont achieve the target very fast... but i am now happy with a steady weight loss though turtle slow.

i just had a case of feedback from my colleagues that i have been eating too much fatty meat and fats....but well i am not afraid of taking it coz i knew i lost 20kg on that and my health was turning for better... they were telling me actually if i go on lean meat it will compliment my regular exercises of gym joggings. anyway, i just tell myself take everything in moderate amts....esp in front of other pple hahaha.

personally my weaknesses will be potatoes, fruit juices, chocolates and crossiants with nice whiffs of butter.

now i hate kuehs...........coz i cant imagine the whole chunk being refined carbohydrates.

my advice for u is that, imagine a food pyramid. place vegetables at the lowest and widest segment, followed by meats in the middle....and of course carbs on the top segment. most impt is to take in more veges....coz at least when u feel a case of carb-blues, veges can help to curb....fruits also but they contain more sugar. and esp for females, losing fats could mean irregular menses at times.........tats quite scary for me.
  #210   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-05, 23:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/147.4/125 Male 160cm
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumih_81
Hi Tristan,

welcome to this grp of atkins-doers....

you mentioned abt the intake of carbs...........well probably u have not totally understood from reading the atkins book. basically carbs when taken into the body converts to glucose. and this will actually turn into body fats....thats my impression. so logically if u limit ur carb intake, less glucose means less new body fats. so ur body will have to take out body fats which have been stored for a long time to burn.

I knew that carbs will be converts to glucose, and if we don't used up the glucose, it will turn into fat. but something should apply for protein and fat, whatever excess protein and fat that we consumed will eventually store up as fat. so the point is: if we eat more than we use, we will gain weight. If we eat less than we use, we will loss weight.

so if i take in 300 grams of carbs with only 500 calories per day and keep my overall calories intake to 2000 calories, i should not gain weight (coz normal person will spend at least 2000 calories per day).

of course, it's really difficult to count ur carbs together with calories intake.

but pls dont go according to ur weighing machine, go by ur waist inches...or try a tight clothing now and then to gauge. if u exercise as well, u know that it creates more muscle mass and makes u heavier.

hehe... i really slimed down. no doubt about it... both from weighing machine and waist inches. thanks to LC diet.

# its a very good qn... my own experience tells me that i shld not be keeping too strict that i binge.....sometimes allow urself to........reward urself. but do keep in mind not to go overboard. personally i allow gravy, chicken skin (dont be afraid of animal fat).

I have been in and out of atkins (i duly admit) since 1998. the best times were the first few years that i shed 20kg purely on dieting without exercise. but that time it was too spartan for me...i practically have to note every single meal intake. of course the downside of relaxing is that u dont achieve the target very fast... but i am now happy with a steady weight loss though turtle slow.

i just had a case of feedback from my colleagues that i have been eating too much fatty meat and fats....but well i am not afraid of taking it coz i knew i lost 20kg on that and my health was turning for better... they were telling me actually if i go on lean meat it will compliment my regular exercises of gym joggings. anyway, i just tell myself take everything in moderate amts....esp in front of other pple hahaha.

personally my weaknesses will be potatoes, fruit juices, chocolates and crossiants with nice whiffs of butter.

now i hate kuehs...........coz i cant imagine the whole chunk being refined carbohydrates.

my advice for u is that, imagine a food pyramid. place vegetables at the lowest and widest segment, followed by meats in the middle....and of course carbs on the top segment. most impt is to take in more veges....coz at least when u feel a case of carb-blues, veges can help to curb....fruits also but they contain more sugar. and esp for females, losing fats could mean irregular menses at times.........tats quite scary for me.

haha... my weakness is on chocolates and fruits.... and sometime i can't say no when my gf suddenly wanna cook me a dinner - she likes spagetthi!