Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, May-27-18, 20:29

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Getting ready to open my "Wild Caught Carp" store soon... I'm considering calling it "OMG 6"

Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, May-28-18, 06:47

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Yeah, fish farming. I read an article just within the week about how terrible farmed salmon is - yet they still say to eat salmon. And almost all salmon is farmed!

Oh yeah. This was an article a friend had linked to on Facebook:
http://www.healthy-holistic-living....tent=40319-BHTJ

Alaskan salmon isn't legally allowed to be farmed so is always wild caught. The article confirms that. Atlantic salmon...put that back in the store bin and don't buy, it's likely from a fish farm. Yuck!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, May-28-18, 12:08

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

We need to know more than we are told.

Wild caught not farm raised.

If my professors could see me now---Id be called a heritic!!

Went fishing with the boys. I caught sunfish, DS1 took 2 white perch. DS2 caught two small yellow perch, too small to keep.

Not fatty fish--but that can be fixed. lol
  #19   ^
Old Wed, May-30-18, 20:30
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

When I read the quote I immediately wondered about the `Atlantic salmon' aspect of it. Oh, makes sense as soon as farming was mentioned. Follow the money; who funded the study? Not the wild salmon, that's certain.

I've eaten both, the farmed inadvertently, never again knowingly. I've seen the farms, and it's shocking to observe--no less cruel a practice than the worst of the veal factories, IMNSHO.

Salmon are a sacred fish in many cultures, and I think the ancestors are trying to tell us something in this case. These are powerful creatures driven by an urge to migrate, some over hundreds of miles in their lifetimes. To put them in those pens and ask them to swim in circles for a lifetime seems unspeakably cruel.

I spoke with someone whose brother worked as a diver in one of these farms. He said that the employees were allowed to take fish home for free, but the diver refused to eat farmed salmon. He'd seen the filth and disease in the pens, and wouldn't consume them, and warned others about what he'd seen.