Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-14, 11:18

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore and Dr Eric Westman

Release date is Tuesday, but Jimmy has been interviewed on a number of the LC podcasts already about book. Just listened to Sean Croxton's interview, and Jimmy explains how to determine your individual Carb Tolerance using a glucose meter, and how to find your optimal Protein Level if you want to stay in Nutritional Ketosis. First half hour is general chit-chat, but some useful information about nutritional ketosis and what will be in book after that point.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/underg...ith-jimmy-moore

Other podcast interviews: Ben Greenfield, Balanced Bites and BodyIO.

Jimmy has also been posting his Expert Interviews done for the book. The one with Dr D'Agostino was interesting about Ketogenic diets and cancer. Podacst and Link to his TEDTalk:http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/...pert-interview/

Book is available for Pre-order, kindle and on iTunes. Description:

Quote:
Leading health blogger Jimmy Moore and researcher and internist Dr. Eric C. Westman join forces again to explain the powerful therapeutic effects of a ketogenic diet—one that combines a customized carbohydrate restriction, moderation of protein intake, and real food-based fats—which is emerging in the scientific literature as a means for improving a wide range of diseases, from Type 2 diabetes to Alzheimer’s and more. Simply eating a low-carb diet alone isn’t enough, and Moore and Westman tell you why. Have you looked at a low-carb diet simply as a means to lose weight? What if you learned that combining a low-carb nutritional approach with a high fat intake produces a powerful therapeutic effect on a wide variety of health conditions that most people think requires medication to control? That’s what Keto Clarity is all about. Jimmy Moore, the world’s leading low-carb diet blogger and podcaster, has reunited with his Cholesterol Clarity coauthor Dr. Eric C. Westman, a practicing internist and low-carb diet researcher, to bring you the crystal-clear information you need to understand what a ketogenic diet is all about and why it may be the missing element in your pursuit of optimal health. This book includes exclusive interviews from twenty of the world’s foremost authorities from various fields bringing their depth of expertise and experience using this nutritional approach. Moore and Westman clearly explain why ketosis is normal, how this nutritional approach is being used therapeutically by many medical professionals, a step-by-step guide to help you produce more ketones and track your progress, real life success stories of people using a ketogenic diet, and more. The solid evidence for nutritional ketosis in dealing with many of the chronic health problems of our day is presented, including: epilepsy, Type 2 diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), heartburn (GERD), nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). The good evidence for ketogenic diets is also shared in dealing with Alzheimer’s Disease (AD), Parkinson’s Disease, dementia, mental illness, schizophrenia, bipolar, depression, narcolepsy, and sleep disorders. Plus, you’ll get the details on the emerging science that is showing great promise in treating cancer, autism, migraines, chronic pain, brain injury, stroke, kidney disease and so much more. Keto Clarity is your definitive guide to the benefits of a low-carb, high-fat diet. Full details on Jimmy Moore’s yearlong n=1 scientific experiment of nutritional ketosis, in which he used sophisticated blood testing technology to track and monitor his production of ketones and blood sugar to achieve rather remarkable effects on his weight and health, is also presented as well as food shopping lists, 25+ low-carb, high-fat recipes, and a 21-day meal plan to get you going on your ketogenic lifestyle change. Keto Clarity gives you a whole new perspective on the work that the late, great Dr. Robert C. Atkins started in earnest with his promotion of the low-carb approach beginning in the 1960s. That revolution continues boldly in this book designed to shift your paradigm on diet and health forever!

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Aug-02-14 at 09:39.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-14, 03:23

An update on the book release and more expert podcast dates. The book will be available in 17 test markets at COSTCO listed here. If it sells well in those stores, then Costco will expand to other markets. Plus the usual book outlets.

Moore interviewed a long list of well-respected LC/Ketogenic experts for this book, and their interviews which have much more information than could end up in the book, should be interesting. List of dates at link. Dr. Westman's interview will be on release day, and support group day, this Tuesday.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...pearances/23137
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-14, 21:00

Plan: Not sure yet
Stats: 253/218/155 Female 69 inches
BF:D:
Progress: 36%

It's kinda funny. I remember back, a long long LONG time ago during his eventual evolution to a high fat approach, he considered people's advice to eat ketogenically to be bullshit (in so many words) because he at that time had considered only low-carb to be important. I guess we all come around.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-14, 03:10

If he changed his mind, he is with a very large number of nutritional science and fitness experts, who have as well, including many endurance athletes and doctors like Timothy Noakes.

We had a wonderful LC support group meeting last night, with Jimmy and other doctors visiting. Now have a signed copy of the book to read today, but from skimming, it looks to be a very readable explanation of how to do NK correctly. Twenty chapters, including one on the role of intermittent fasting while in ketosis. It includes a very Long list of scientific studies done on Keto, organized by many diseases, plus lists of other resources on ketosis, books, blogs, websites, recipes, menus, and calculators in the back.

Dr Westman's interview about the book posted today:http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...interview/23186
First half hour is Moore reading excerpts from the AudioBook version. Interview starts at 30 min.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-06-14 at 13:13.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-14, 06:31

There is a chapter on the three existing options for testing ketones, pros and cons, and what the future holds. At the end, they note:
Quote:
If you cannot afford to do any of the testing discussed, then you might be interested to know there is a fantastic free website, The Low Carb Flexi Diet (www.flexibleketogenic.com) that provides a Ketogenic ratio calculator.

Plug in the grams of C, P and F you are consuming, and it estimates how Ketotic you are. Cool, give it a try.

The book is worth purchasing just for the long list of websites, books and other scientific studies related Ketogenic Diets. Thought I was aware of most of them but this ratio calculator and many others in appendix are new to me.

Can also get a sense of the book by listening to one of Jimmy's many recent interviews with all the usual health podcasters, the one with Mark Sisson is excellent: http://youtu.be/YXqApH0PyIk

Find all the media links at:http://ketoclarity.com/book/media/

This book has a number Of Keto recipes from various recipe bloggers, but the next book project planned is to be a cookbook with Maria Emmerich.

It also has a Meal Plan that eases you into eating one meal per day. Three meals, no snacking, first week, two second, and one meal third and following week as meets your needs and hunger.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Aug-10-14 at 04:52.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-14, 09:22

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I've only read a couple of chapters of Keto-Clarity, but it's a very good read.

Wow, love the keto-calculator (assuming it is reasonably accurate) - I look forward to adjusting my macros to see if I feel different or lose differently. Thank you once again JEY.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-14, 23:31

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%
Default Dr Ede reviews Keto Clarity

Quote:
Jimmy Moore’s new book, Keto Clarity, tells you virtually everything you ever wanted to know about ketogenic diets but were afraid to ask, and I would highly recommend it to clinicians and non-clinicians alike!

Link to review
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-14, 03:12

You beat me to it again, Turtle!
I was so excited to see Dr Georgia Ede break her long absence with a wonderful review of this book. She also wrote a companion post, Is the KetoGenic Diet Safe for Everyone? http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/ketogenic-diet-safety/?
She has a whole series on Ketosis planned, subjects at bottom of the book review, so I guess She's Back!!

Bummer Note on pg 69....

Quote:
DOCTOR'S NOTE FROM DR. ERIC WESTMAN: Carbohydrate tolerance is an individual thing. In general, you can eat more carbs if you are younger and more active. But postmenopausal women tend to have to keep their carb consumption really low.

This note was after the section on how to determine your own carb tolerance level. Hint, start with 20g, start slowly to add 5 g more, test your ketones.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Aug-10-14 at 10:44.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-14, 08:05

You both beat me to linking to Dr. Edes' post of this morning. I look forward to her future posts - it seems it's been a year since she last wrote. No doubt she has had some interesting insights.

On the quote about postmenopausal women, those of us in that life stage know it to be true, but I'm glad to see it in print. Let's stop pretending we are going to lose like 25 year old male body builders. And let's stop being disappointed when we don't. I think those of us on these boards know the truth, but I suspect there are many others out there who are still blaming themselves for not working hard enough, being rigorous enough, etc.

Interesting that Jimmy's book is ranked so highly. Is there really THAT much interest in eating ketogenically? I think of myself as the Healthy Fringe - am I going to become a part of the Healthy Majority? I can't imagine....
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-14, 12:19

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

I happened to find myself on carb-sane's recent blog where she 'discusses' the Sisson-Jimmy Moore podcast about Jimmy's new book, 'Keto Clarity'. As usual, she attacks Jimmy, keto diets, paleo, et al.

Link

She certainly seems to know a lot of biochemistry, and I confess her chemistry entries are above my head. What I can't figure out is what she is in favor of, what she advocates. I once wandered all around her site trying to figure out what she was proposing, but I couldn't figure it out. She is obviously opposed to low carb diets, in every form, and seems to absolutely loathe people like Taubes, Moore, etc., but as far as I can tell, never explains what it is she is in favor of.

So is she just an attack dog, or does she ever recommend a healthy/weight loss diet? Anybody figure her out?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-14, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle2003
So is she just an attack dog, or does she ever recommend a healthy/weight loss diet? Anybody figure her out?

The best I can figure out is she tried low carb and it was not a panacea. I can't imagine wanting a guarantee that a specific approach would work, but I get the impression that is what she wants. Sometimes if I need some controversy and drama in my life, I will take a look at her blog, but like you can't find anything productive there. I end up shaking my head and moving onto another site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryfonclaw
It's kinda funny. I remember back, a long long LONG time ago during his eventual evolution to a high fat approach, he considered people's advice to eat ketogenically to be bullshit (in so many words) because he at that time had considered only low-carb to be important. I guess we all come around.

As far as Jimmy Moore changing his mind on ketogenic, I think we all change. I've been eating 65-70% fat for a long time, assumed I was ketogenic. After reading his book, I now have my doubts. He also apparently said at one time he'd never fast; it's now a major part of his success. I've long thought that changing one's mind is evidence that you have one.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-14, 12:45

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle2003
I happened to find myself on carb-sane's recent blog where she 'discusses' the Sisson-Jimmy Moore podcast about Jimmy's new book, 'Keto Clarity'. As usual, she attacks Jimmy, keto diets, paleo, et al.

Link

She certainly seems to know a lot of biochemistry, and I confess her chemistry entries are above my head. What I can't figure out is what she is in favor of, what she advocates. I once wandered all around her site trying to figure out what she was proposing, but I couldn't figure it out. She is obviously opposed to low carb diets, in every form, and seems to absolutely loathe people like Taubes, Moore, etc., but as far as I can tell, never explains what it is she is in favor of.

Her schtick these days is to pester people on Facebook and Twitter until they tell her to eff off (some have done so literally, such as Robb Wolf), then complain that she's being shunned. I place her in the same camp as Richard Nikoley--at one time both of them were interesting, but Evelyn seems to have gone crazy and Richard fancies himself a libertarian anarchist and the Father of Resistant Starch. Evelyn's hatred of Jimmy Moore goes back to the Kimkins days, she's been consistent on that point.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-14, 12:47
Inconceivable!

Plan: DANDR '72
Stats: 205/169/155 Male 69.5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
... I've long thought that changing one's mind is evidence that you have one.

This!
Of course, people who are always right call it "waffling."
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-14, 13:23

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I just finished this book. Loved it. I have maintained a LONG time and I've taken a lot of 'crap' (from friends, relatives, doctors, etc.) about the way I eat. Plus many asking me why I would be able to maintain while they couldn't, even without any cheats.

I think the book just let me know how and why I'm able to do that. There are days I eat no vegetables at all...heck, there's WEEKS where I eat no veggies at all, lol. And many days I am down to one meal, but totally satisfied. All this time I've said I eat 'low carb' but obviously...I eat a ketogenic diet.

I don't feel like the 'odd person out' so much now, lol. I guess I'll buy a copy of the book (I got it on Kindle) to keep in my purse to hand to naysayers..here I am, disabled, most people with my genetic disease and my autoimmunes are dead, or dying...my lipid panel is stellar, I don't use a lot of pain meds, although I have two very painful conditions, and yet I have doctors (not 'my' doctors...lol they KNOW) who will chastise me and tell me I NEED vegetables and fruit!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-14, 15:40

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
The best I can figure out is she tried low carb and it was not a panacea. I can't imagine wanting a guarantee that a specific approach would work, but I get the impression that is what she wants. Sometimes if I need some controversy and drama in my life, I will take a look at her blog, but like you can't find anything productive there. I end up shaking my head and moving onto another site.
I actually have her blog on my RSS feed, though I admit I go there seldom. It's too painful, but every now and then I just have to take a peek at what's going on there.

Yeah, she really has it in for Jimmy. I think some of it dates back to when she was on his forums, and I believe he had some of her posts deleted, had her banned or some such - but she has expanded that to anyone who is an LC "guru". I have to confess that all the chemistry she throws out is way over my head, though she and her sycophants all crow over how it shows the horrors of LC eating, and proves that anyone who would ever eat that way is incapable of rational thought. She has all sorts of folks chiming in on her comments about how eating the LCHF way nearly killed them.

But as to what she *does* believe? I have no clue. I can't recall seeing anything on her site about what she feels the proper way of eating is. Clearly she must have abandoned LC but I don't have a clue what she personally eats now. She seems to be just a LC attack dog as far as I can tell, without presentling any other alternatives - unless I've missed it. But even though I don't read all her posts by any means I do tend to scan all the titles as I buzz through the RSS feed, and sure can't recall any actual recommendations.