Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Wed, Sep-23-09, 14:04

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Look about half way down on this link:

http://www.michaelpollan.com/press.php?id=75

I don't think he's phobic, but he does suggest limiting fat and meat, in favor of fresh veggies, if I remember right.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 16:49

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Question Can protein turn into fat?

Can protein turn into fat?

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/...n-into-fat.html
Quote:
I've had a lot of questions and comments about dietary protein and what happens to it, particularly when one is on "zero carbs". Here are some thoughts:

1) If your body is in glucose deficit and you are not getting enough dietary glucose, then gluconeogenesis will supply the glucose. Short term deficits, however, are met by making glucose from the glycogen in your liver, not by breaking down proteins. A simple fall in serum BG does not crank up the GNG machinery. GNG happens to replenish your glycogen, not after a single weight lifting session, just if there are no carbs by your next meal and your liver glycogen has been run down too far.

2) If glycogen stores are depleted and need to be rebuilt, they will be replenished from dietary glucose first. If there is not enough dietary glucose, dietary protein will be used (60% or 70% conversion ratio, pretty close) next. If there is not enough dietary protein (amino acids actually) then existing structural proteins in your body will be used to supply the amino acid feedstock for GNG to make the necessary glucose. Please remember that what is really happening is that proteins are constantly turning over into AAs in your body all the time. If you are deficient in dietary protein (no protein bolus at the next meal) , they are broken down and then are not being re-built. You are not directly scavenging your muscles, you are just failing to re-build them. Proteins and even fats are not static. Gaining or losing muscle or storage fat is a dynamic equilibrium process controlled by hormones, etc.

3) Protein eaten in excess of structural and enzymatic (our enzymes are proteins) needs, and in excess of GNG requirements if you eat no carbohydrates, can be burned as fuel for energy. This is why we say that protein has a caloric value of about 4 kcal/g, just like glucose. If it is burned as fuel, that is the energy density. There is no " every gram of protein turns into such and such" It depends on many variables.

4) Any macronutrient with caloric value (carb, protein or fat) can be burned for fuel. Any of these can also be stored as fat if they are in excess. Note I said, "can be" stored as fat. Insulin is the nexus of processes that end in fat storage. If insulin levels are lowered from your previous baseline, fat storage is inhibited (remember the equiibrium?) so you tend to lose fat down to a new equilibrium. You will tend to stay at that new equilibrium based on in my opinion, two things: spontaneously lower caloric intake and possible increased wastage or burning of any excess caloric value. (See your bible: GCBC by Gary Taubes)

The reason dietary proteins are less likely than carbs to end up as fat is the same reason dietary fat on VLC is less likely to end up as fat. It is not because they can't be converted to fat. Of course they can! It is because eating fat and protein and very little carbs keeps your insulin levels low, get it?

Once again, macronutrients influence hormones, and it's the hormones that direct fat storage.

Think how food affects hormones, not whether this or that food component "turns into fat".

Food only turns into fat at the direction of hormones.

Hormone levels (AUC or area under the curve) can be stable within a range of different macronutrient ratios. Your insulin levels in particular only drop so far. That is why I say repeatedly it is not biologically plausible that most people need to tightly define their macronutrient ratios, anymore than it is biologically plausible that you need to use a scale and a calculator to regulate your weight.

Like natural gas, oil and coal in the industrial environment, carbs fats and proteins have specific structural uses in our bodily environment, but each has a potential value (not required, but potential) as fuel to keep the metabolic fires burning. Natural gas is both a feedstock to make plastics and a fuel that can be burned. Oil can be used to coat your driveway or turned into gasoline for your car.

There is not any "typical" thing that always happens to a molecule of glucose, fat or protein. It depends on what the body needs.

As far as raising your insulin levels, glucose has the biggest effect, and fructose is bad because it induces insulin resistance, which requires you to produce higher levels of insulin to handle the same amount of glucose. Protein requires insulin but less than glucose and there is some insulin response to dietary protein. There is no insulin response to dietary fat. All three require some basal insulin for normal metabolism.

Emphasis mine.

Patrick
  #108   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 17:27

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Pollan in his latest book talks in the first half about how various heretical diets produced health in opposition to medical-industry beliefs. In the second half he ditches what he learned in the first half and makes a stab at recommending dietary practices that toe a popular line.

Just read the first half but not the recommendations.
  #109   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-09, 08:06

BF:

http://www.brianpeskin.com/reports/Ketosis.pdf
Quote:
"Note #2: Following the ingestion of a high protein meal, the
gut and liver utilize most of the absorbed amino acids… The
liver takes up 60-70% of the amino acids in the portal vein.
These amino acids, for the most part, are converted to glucose
and directly used for the protein’s own digestion (not raising
blood glucose levels).'

So much for the excess protein being converted to blood sugar and causing weight gain as a result of the supposed insulin response to the blood sugar.

Patrick
  #110   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-09, 08:21

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

I was reading on carnivore metabolism and apparently cats do gluconeogenesis all the time ... That's how they get their energy and they do have significant insulin response to protein. I posted a link at ZIOH on that. (Of course, this works for them FAR better than sucrose etc. which they don't handle well at all. They do have some starch digestion ability though.)

Most of us are not cats. But thought that was kind of interesting.

Oh, I also learned that an average mouse is about 30 calories.

Last edited by cbcb : Fri, Oct-02-09 at 08:48.
  #111   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-09, 08:58

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
So much for the excess protein being converted to blood sugar and causing weight gain as a result of the supposed insulin response to the blood sugar.
On the other hand, there is a thread on the Protein Power forum right now, where a diabetic lady had excessive blood sugar after using whey protein powder in a shake according to the directions in 6 Week Cure for the Middle Aged Middle (lots of protein is recommended).

When she switched to egg protein powder it didn't happen.

Perhaps absorption rate is the key for some people.
  #112   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-09, 10:33

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Also from Dr Harris' PaNu blog:

Quote:
there is no automatic conversion of all dietary protein or amino acids into glucose. GNG from protein to create the necessary carbon skeletons for the required glucose only happens to the degree necessary. There is no further obligate conversion of the rest of the protein beyond that.

This was his response to Lex Rooker's experiment with lower protein levels in his meals. Lex was seeing BG in the 100s, then dropped the protein, and began seeing BG in the mid 80s, but Dr Harris doesn't seem to think it's the protein, and Dr Eades says the same thing, I believe.
  #113   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-09, 11:06

BF:

I do agree. I just thought it was interesting to see this from another perspective.

Patrick
  #114   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-09, 11:59
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcb
Oh, I also learned that an average mouse is about 30 calories.

Oh! Well then I could have eaten the dinner gift that Tigris brought me the other night. As it was I had to pick its fresh little body up by the tail and move it to the far side of the porch, then fuss over what a brilliant hunter she was and how grateful I was for the gift. But if I'd have known it was only 30 calories....!

Bringing blood glucose up and bringing insulin up are two different things even though they are related.

What if the whey raised glucose more than egg protein for some different reason?

For example, and I just thought of this: they say that the body stores toxins in fat cells as a protective measure. What if when you eat something you are intolerant to (but unaware of it), the body actually does raise insulin, to attempt to stuff more into fat cells pronto as protection?

That's a curious thought. I don't know that there is any evidence for it. But it could potentially explain why so many people who are huge end up having food intolerances. Maybe the latter relates in part to the former.
  #115   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-09, 12:12

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
For example, and I just thought of this: they say that the body stores toxins in fat cells as a protective measure. What if when you eat something you are intolerant to (but unaware of it), the body actually does raise insulin, to attempt to stuff more into fat cells pronto as protection?

That's a curious thought. I don't know that there is any evidence for it. But it could potentially explain why so many people who are huge end up having food intolerances. Maybe the latter relates in part to the former.

Sounds like a question for Elson Haas:

http://www.amazon.com/False-Fat-Die...m/dp/0345443152
  #116   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-09, 12:26

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
On the other hand, there is a thread on the Protein Power forum right now, where a diabetic lady had excessive blood sugar after using whey protein powder in a shake according to the directions in 6 Week Cure for the Middle Aged Middle (lots of protein is recommended).

When she switched to egg protein powder it didn't happen.

Perhaps absorption rate is the key for some people.

There are many different Amino Acids, and they vary in their presence and ratios in different proteins.
Some amino acids are "Glucogenic amino acids", meaning they can be turned into Glucose,
and some are "Ketogenic amino acids" meaning they can be turned into Ketone bodies. Some can go either way.
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucogenic_amino_acid

This means it is plausible that the type of protein, e.g. Whey vs Egg, , may well influence the amount of gluconeogenesis (GNG).
There's lots of research on GNG but not a lot of summaries of what's known or key aspects. This leads to a lot of speculation. Statements that such and such "Can't happen" or "Won't happen" in every circumstance are mostly meaningless without specific references. A frequent problem is that research that says " this is what usually happens" is taken to mean "this is what always happens - and proves nothing else can happen."
  #117   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-09, 12:39

BF:

But there are 18 that can be turned to glucose and only 7 that can be turned to ketone. Whether it comes from whey or egg, you are getting a whole lot of these amino acids and a good % could turn to glucose.

Patrick