Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-23-09, 01:13

Plan: Food combining
Stats: 194/193.2/149 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default New to food combining

Hello

I am using what I know from the Montignac Method as well as Sure Slim.
(Need to have a night out sometime - so then will do a one hour eat what you like) I normally go for Pad Thai noodles with prawn.

Have been reading up on The Gabriel Method - has anyone tried this yet?
Not a diet but a support thing. He looks amazing, check him out on youtube.

I havent bought the book, not available here yet - but have picked up some tips online. I am taking a multivitamin, and omega oil supplement, and also a probiotic. At night I take a dig enzyme. I try to get some sun each day for 10 min or so. Anyone know of more tips? I am thinking of ordering the book.

I want to do this right, so please advise me where you can - I am sort of doing my own understanding of it all but need to be sure I am doing this all correct, I need to lose about 40 pounds... picked up weight with each baby (x3) and never got rid of it... Well I wasn't able to stick to a "diet". I eat when I am stressed, and I guess eating is a real social thing too - everything revolves around food. So I need to be able to eat if I really want to, but make better choices. I heard you shouldnt eat more often than every 2 hours, something to do with insulin?

I feel I am ready for change, so here it goes.

I have only been on diet for one day, but have lost 1.1 lbs in one day, I feel better already - and know the weight will shift quickly if I can stick it out.

This is what I ate yesterday, any comments/feedback would be appreciated:-

Breakfast:
2 slices wholewheat toast (we dont get stoneground bread out here)
Sugar free peanut butter (not sure what else I can put on, except sugar free jam)
Coffee with milk and Xylitol

Snack time (3 hours later)
Some almonds
Coffee

Lunch time:
Salad: lettuce, tomato, cucumber, brie cheese (wasnt sure?), avocado. Squeezed lemon juice over (not as yummy as honey/mustard dressing I am so used to). Can't eat salad without making it absolutely yum like adding avo and gr8 cheese... Also quite rushed for lunch...

Snack in afternoon:
Had 2 squares of very dark chocolate (85%)
Some pecan nuts
Can diet soda
Then coffee again, milk, xylitol

(Dranks loads of water - about 1.5 litres)

Supper:
2 Hungarian sausages warmed in micro
fried in olive oil: red onion, mushrooms, courgette, and added a can of chilli tomato with peppers. Added some brie to plate. Was so delish.
Had a small bowl of strawberries.

That was my day - please comment!

And lighter today... so def did something right.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-23-09, 09:03

BF:

Its Friday night and I feel like crisps and dip! I know the cream cheese dip is OK but not the crisps aaahhhh... Will pour myself a glass of wine and try and get over it.

Having a BBQ, so will eat meat and salad.
Any ideas for salad dressing?

Hope to have some posts when I check later
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-23-09, 09:16

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariejane
Hello
This is what I ate yesterday, any comments/feedback would be appreciated:-

Breakfast:
2 slices wholewheat toast (we dont get stoneground bread out here)
Sugar free peanut butter (not sure what else I can put on, except sugar free jam)
Coffee with milk and Xylitol

Peanut butter isn't a good choice - too much fat in it. Sugar free jam would be better. Do you have marmite where you live? Milk - Make it skimmed.

Snack time (3 hours later)
Some almonds
Coffee

Did you really need the almonds? A piece of fruit would be better - how about an apple?

Lunch time:
Salad: lettuce, tomato, cucumber, brie cheese (wasnt sure?), avocado. Squeezed lemon juice over (not as yummy as honey/mustard dressing I am so used to). Can't eat salad without making it absolutely yum like adding avo and gr8 cheese... Also quite rushed for lunch...

Salad is fine. Not sure about brie. How about some lower fat cheese? Low fat feta for example. I don't know what avo and gr8 are.

Snack in afternoon:
Had 2 squares of very dark chocolate (85%)
Some pecan nuts
Can diet soda
Then coffee again, milk, xylitol

Did you need this snack?

(Dranks loads of water - about 1.5 litres)

Good

Supper:
2 Hungarian sausages warmed in micro
fried in olive oil: red onion, mushrooms, courgette, and added a can of chilli tomato with peppers. Added some brie to plate. Was so delish.
Had a small bowl of strawberries.

Watch the amount of olive oil. Rest of it looks fine. Strawberries are a fruit and should not follow a meal. However they are a good thing to eat at the right time. They could be eaten as a strarter 30 minutes before the meal or several hours after. Fruit doesn't combine well with anything much.

Congratualtions on your weight loss on the first day and good luck for keeping it up in the future. I have got the Montignac book at home. It is all very much based on French cuisine and customs but it can be followed anywhere. All the food combining plans are very similar. I once did strict Montignac and I enjoyed it and lost weight too.

I usually use a low fat French dressing from a supermarket. Meat and salad is a good choice

Last edited by RCFletcher : Fri, Oct-23-09 at 09:22.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-24-09, 03:06

BF:
Default Day 2 - food combining/trying own thing

Hello, is it Robert?
I must thank you for taking the time to read my posts and reply -
it is really helpful of you.

Thank you for your feedback on my what I ate post.
(avo is avocado, and gr8 is great) LOL

Some other questions: I thought when you have a protein/salad meal (like my salad yesterday) that you can have Fat and it's not a problem. That is why I thought full fat cheese? I thought you only have to watch Fat with carbs? as there is so little insulin released with protein and salad that I wont absorb the fat.

In answer to your question re did I need afternoon snack - well that is really emotional eating! Just knowing I can eat and then having something "legal" helps me get through that.

I am trying to choose carb or protein meals. And using the knowledge I have picked up along the way. Montignac says any berry is fine after a meal for dessert? even with cream. (if a protein meal) so thats why I ate strawberries.

Anyway, if it's not too boring for you I can tell you a bit about yesterday.
Although it was only day 2 I was much less enthusiastic (the idea of not being able to have whatever is difficult to adjust to) although if the weight comes off shortly then I will be motivated once again.

I ate pretty much the same b/fast, lunch I had leftover dinner, and no morning snack (lay in the sun which seems to curb the desire to eat quite a bit). 3 hours later I had chocolate again, and some pecans. Then early evening I had two pieces of ham with cream cheese full fat rolled in with gherkins. I had 2 glasses of red wine. Then we had some people over, and there was crisps & dip and sambuca! of all things. So I had 2 sambucas, I had a tiny amount of crisps & some dip (full fat cheese with mussels). Supper I had BBQ. So actually too much meat (I was a pig) ate 2 lamb chops, 2 pork ribs, and sausage. And a little bit of green leafy salad - didnt really feel like salad but thought I better have some for health, is that right?. Pudding I had 2 strawberries dipped in cream. 2 glasses of diet soda.

Woke up early this morning and weighed myself (I know I shouldnt do it every day but I do like doing it every day) I had picked up 400 grams, so I went back to bed and slept another 2 hours. Funny thing is when I woke up I was back to what I weighed yesterday (?) not sure how that works. Anyway so with the whole evening last night - I am quite happy that I am still less than when I started.

This morning I am back on...

Is is true I can pretty much eat anything 3 hours apart - so long as no food combining and no fat with carbs?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-24-09, 03:51

BF:

Veggie burgers/products

Is it OK to eat this with carb meal? I don't want to get too technical in counting carbs etc. but if it means the meal is a carb one then I can do it?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-24-09, 08:19
Registered Member

Plan: food combining
Stats: 215/189/185 Male 5. 11
BF:
Progress: 87%

Welcome to this site. I been FC for 5 months. I read Fit For Life,. When I started I ate a breakfast of one apple and one piece of wheat toast. I did not start to lose much weight until I changed to a near all fruit break fast. My breakfast Monday -Fri is 10oz orange juice upon waking. an hour later 8oz carrot juice. then 2-3 pieces of fruit spread out over the morning. I have a piece when I start to feel hungry. One bananna gives me a good hour of energy. It seems like alot but its less than 350callries On the weekend I eat a protien or carb breakfast.

I ssee u are eating choclate. There seems to be alot of hype on Chocolate. I would bet that a orange has more antioxidents than of cho,without all the caffine.

I snack on celery and low fat no sugar peatutbutter.

Veggi Burgers make a great carb meal. Whole whaet bun! Smitch007
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-24-09, 08:28
Registered Member

BF:

Remember Proper Food Combining tells us not to eat more than one concentrated protien in the same meal.. like ham and beef or nuts and chicken...MY goal is to eat 70% of my diet alive fresh whole foods fruits and veggies and 30% other,dairy,meat,Grains...Food combining ROCKS Lost 36 lbs in 4 months Smitch
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-24-09, 12:47
Registered Member

BF:

Salad dressing : I mix together olive oil,orange juice ,orengano, sea salt garlic and red pepper. it is realy YUMMY.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-24-09, 14:11

Hi mariejanet

Yes, you are quite right on Montignac saying you can have berries after a meal. This is because they are so low in carbohydrates it doens't make much difference. Other plans treat them like all other fruit and say you can only have them on an empty stomach. The reason given for this is that they can just sit on top of the other foods and go off while waiting to be digested. Personaly I'm not too strict with this food rule and I've never noticed any problems.

You are also right to say that fats/oils combine with protien and not with carbohydrate.

However I disagree when you say as there is so little insulin released with protein and salad that I wont absorb the fat. Insulin is not necessary to absorb fat. Insulin is about turning carbs into body fat. Personally I watch the fats as they are so high in calories.

I'm with you on the chocolate. Lindt 85% chocolate is to die for but should be eaten in moderation. My problem is if I start a bar I'll finish it!

I weigh every day - I like the feedback.
Montignac is very much a 'good eating' interpretation of food combining, Montignac being French of course!

I also combine vegetarian products with carbs by the way.

Why not get a journal and then we and others can visit.

Good luck and keep it up.

Robert
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-25-09, 02:19

BF:

Hello

How do I start a Journal?
Thanks
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-09, 10:31

#12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-10, 08:28
Registered Member

Plan: south beach, whole foods
Stats: 239/231/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Can someone suggest a good book on Food Combining? I've tried this long ago after reading Fit For Life, but not sure if there's a newer book out there now?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 14:48

Plan: whole food
Stats: 210/230/185 Male 5'7
BF:20
Progress: -80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabmail
Can someone suggest a good book on Food Combining? I've tried this long ago after reading Fit For Life, but not sure if there's a newer book out there now?

Search amazon there are a lot of great books there. I'd recommend one but there are too many and they're all good.