Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 16:32
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%
Default Depression and Weight

I've noticed that a lot of us in the Triple Digits Club (including me) have written at various times about suffering from depression. This started me wondering if there is a relationship between our weight and depression, and if so, what the relationship is. I can think of three possible ways weight and depression may be related:

1. In response to feelings of depression, we may start eating more carbs in order to up our blood sugar and give us that elusive feeling of well being. I know that I have certainly done this in my life and it has quickly turned into a vicious cycle, because when the blood sugar crashes I look for more carbs and my moods swing up and down while my weight just swings up.

2. I am sure we have all experienced difficulties and discrimination because of our weight. This could possibly lead to depression -- I know that at times it has gotten me down.

3. Both depression and weight gain could be symptoms of something else and both could be caused by the same thing, rather than one causing the other. I have a family history of both issues -- weight gain and depression -- so it is possible there is some gene that gives me a predisposition to both. However, one of my children seems to have inherited the tendency toward depression but has absolutely no weight problem.

I will say that since starting low carbing last July, my moods have been remarkably stable. However, I started getting a little down a couple of weeks ago in response to some events in my family and all of a sudden I found my consumption of diet Coke and nuts increasing -- it was as though I was substituting them for the carbs in my fight against depression. I started getting into the same up/down mood cycles with the diet Cokes and the nuts that I had previously gotten into with carbs. Eventually I realized what was going on and stopped it and now I am focusing on other ways of dealing with stress (including lots of aerobic exercise).

I was wondering whether other members of the Triple Digits Club who have a tendency toward depression feel there is a relationship between your weight gain and depression and if so how you think they are related -- does one cause the other? I was also wondering how you felt low carbing had affected your tendency to get depressed.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 17:49

Plan: Atkins started 1/2/03
Stats: 302/260/185
BF:47/38/23
Progress: 36%

I have to say that I feel very fortunate that I do not suffer from depression. I get moody once in a blue moon, but it is short lasting and not a deep down depression.

However, I just wanted to say, Liz, that this is very perceptive of you, and I really think you are onto something. Scientists have figured out so much about the human body, but they have 10x more to learn yet. I personally think that there is a definite link, in fact, probably lots of links, between weight and depression for many, many people.

Great thread...I am curious to see what others have to say.

AMY
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 19:40

Plan: Atkins/Induction
Stats: 360/340/150
BF:66%/60%/27%
Progress: 10%
Hello Liz,

Have not been on this WOE long enough to notice any connection yet. But I could get into trouble with diet cherry Coke and nuts. Especially in the evening.

I can say, that when I was depressed I ate a lot of chocolate/sugar. It made me feel calm, good and kind of high. Then I read that sugar and cocaine are alomost identical in their chemical makeup. No wonder they cut cocaine with sugar.

For me, stress is the major factor going on at times, and it causes me to gain like crazy, especially in the stomach. They say you pour out insulin when under stress. So having no sugar on this WOE will help.

A lot of my friends are on anti-depression drugs. I just don't want to go there. Most of them hinder weight loss. I cry more than normal, at the slightest event, music, movies, but why not. It is an emotional that I am feeling and tears release bad chemicals from your body. I think I cry more now because for years I was the strong, always in control super wife, Mom, etc. Always the care giver.

Now I cry when I want to and don't give a hoot who sees me doing it. It makes me feel better. I disagree that it is a sign of depression, I would say more like melancholy. I love life and want to be part of it.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 20:48

Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Well, in my case, I would answer 'definately' to #1; 'possibly' to #2; and 'hmmmm, I never thought about it that way' to #3.

#1: it's embarrassing to say, but my most successful weight loss occured while I was abusing tobacco, alcohol & drugs. When I wasn't escaping chronic depression through those mind-altering substances, all I had left to 'get me through' was food & the weight piled on. Will I be able to overcome the food addiction? I honestly don't know! But hopefully, I can eat enough on this WOE to keep me satisfied for the long term.

#2: For many years I believed this was the case but am now not so sure.

#3: I have depression and other mental illnesses in my family, as well as a tendency to gain weight, though noone has been as fat as me. I must admit I've never considered the possibility that they are caused by the same thing.

I haven't noticed an improvement in mood stability, but I've only been low-carbing for 6 weeks. I must say that would be added bonus if it would happen!

Thanks again Liz, for giving us something meaty (no pun intended) to ponder.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 21:28

Plan: Atkins, BFL modified
Stats: 325/266.5/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Liz,

Although I have always been "moody" I have never been diagnosed with depression, but I can tell you that since starting the LC in January I have never been more stress free and even emotionally. I agree that there is a connection and I think that the medical community is beginning to see that food, weight and emotions all go hand in hand. Look at the studies they have done lately with ADD and LC lifestyles and I found a woman on this site who has parkinsons and is in a study right now to see if eating high amounts of fats helps the symptoms (so far it seems to be working for her)

The carb consumption cycle you spoke of seems to have gone away for me too. I find I dont turn to food anymore.......now is this because I have committed to a lifestyle change or has the lifestyle change changed my chemical response to stress??? Who is to say, but you raise alot of questions I think the medical community should investigate because I think if they had the answers then no one would have to be unhealthy and over weight.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 07:47
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I can say without a doubt that my weight is a direct result of depression.

*g* And the following is my brutally honest story.

Though I'm still very young, I spent the years between 18 and 20 on a rollar coaster of diagnosis... I was a little more depressed than some, due to difficult home situations and some abuse, but all in all... I wasn't that much different than any teenager trying to grow up.

My doctors decided they needed to "fix" me., "Let's put her on drugs for depression!" and then "Let's put her on drugs for Bi-Polar Disorder" followed by "Let's put her on more drugs for depression since the Bi-Polar Medicine is making her depressed..."

When I graduated from High School at 18, I ate horrible food (carbs carbs carbs--because, of course, that was what the nutritionist told me to), but was very active, very muscular, and wore a size 14 even though I was easily 175.

By the time they were through mixing up my chemical cocktails... the ONLY thing that made me feel better was sugar. My body was in total rebellion, I was constantly depressed and upset... and self-medicating with carbs and things that gave me that insulin boost was the only thing that seemed to help.

The lowest point came in the middle of the Bi-Polar medication, when I actually was so tired of the way I felt that I took half a bottle of sleeping pills. To this day I'm not completly sure if I knew what I was doing... living through Depakote was rather like living in a daze for me. Things never seemed real, and I'm not sure if I was trying to conquer insomnia, or kill myself. If I'm going to be honest... it was probably the latter.

Feeling ashamed and even more depressed after that episode, things only got worse. I didn't want to see my friends, because I was embarased. I stayed at home, hid in my room, and did the only thing that made me feel better temporarily: sugar.

I gained 100 pounds in UNDER A YEAR due to horrible depression. Even when I came off the drugs, my body was still so out of whack that I kept gaining weight. By then I felt far too out of shape to resume exercising... and my self-image was torn to shreds by what I looked in the mirror and saw.

Doctors tried to put me on low fat high carb diets. I followed them to the letter, and gained weight. I was more depressed. When I fell off my low-fat diets, I fell hard and gained even more weight. It was a vicious, vicious cycle. Eating made the depression seem less devestating... but then the results of eating made the depression that much worse.

The saddest thing to discover is how much my depression was tied into the eating. I understand now that my blood sugar spikes and crashes had much to do with what I felt like were great moods and horrible moods.

I still have my good days and my bad days... and my bad days can be pretty bad. But as long as I follow my WOE diligently, I'm almost assured to maintain a level mood. The hard part are those bad days--and not giving up when they come.

*g* Now that was probably a lot more information than needed... but sometimes things just want to be said. I don't think I talk about this enough... I've noticed since I joined the board that it's been easier. I can talk with my fiancee about things that used to be sensitive. My weight was always tender--because I never spoke about it and let it fester inside me. Now I can be honest with him and myself.

I like that.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 09:33

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Liz...thank you for posting this interesting and informative thread...

A couple of months ago, I was struggling with depression too. Of course, with all the health issues within my family this year it's to be expected. But TeriDoodle (hope she comes back here soon!) read what I had written in my journal and suggested that I read the section on LCing and depression in the Schwarzbein Principle.

I have the book, and confess I haven't read that section yet. But it is on my bedside table and I intend to check it out. I don't know if you own it, but if you do give it a read. Don;t know if it will help, but it popped to mind when I read your post.

Donald
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 12:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 425/266/200
BF:
Progress: 71%

I have a tendency towards depression, especially in the winter -- living as far north as I do (Edmonton, Canada), in late December we get less than seven hours' daylight... and I work inside where there are no windows.

Last December, I got a bad case of the stomach flu, serious enough that I spent the day in the hospital emergency ward with a saline IV. And after that, I was in a depressive state deep enough that my doctor put me on an antidepressant. (His theory is that my getting sick took down all my defences, mental as well as physical, enough for my weakness towards seasonal depression to take hold.

But one thing with me that's maybe a little odd... when I am depressed, I won't eat. I overeat eat when I'm anxious or upset, but when out-and-out depressed I stop eating completely. Fortunately, the antidepressant I'm on (Celexa) is also prescribed as an anti-anxiety drug...

Glenn
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 12:13

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 260/260/140
BF:59%/59%/21%
Progress: 0%

hi...I just read something about this subject! Lol...so i thought i would share it. It's from Dr. Sandra Cabot's book "Unlock the Secrets That Keep You Fat!". Page 206 bottom of the page.

"Depression can lead to problems with body weight, from weight loss to weight gain. This is because the chemical imbalance exisiting within the brain of depressed people, may affect the appetite control center in the brain. Of course just being overweight may make you feel unhappy and lower your self-esteem, which can result in a depressive illness. Some people need to overeat to fill up a perceived emptiness inside, and food becomes their solace. Some of these people may become obsessive compulsive eaters."

The Following are some of her suggestions for depression:

Find a Support(ive) Group- Well....we knew that or we wouldn't be here,

Have a regular Theraputic Massage to relieve pent up physical and emotional stresses. ( I like this one! It also would encourage lymphatic drainage)

Go for a walk each morning WITH friends

Seek regular conselling from a therapist to work on the subconscious reasons why you may crave food in excess amounts

If the depression is long term, see your doctor. It could be clinical depression and require the use of anti-depressant medication.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 13:23

Plan: ?
Stats: 1/1/1 Male 1
BF:
Progress: 37%
Unhappy I regretably removed my post.

Hi Liz,
I had posted a rather lengthy reply but decided to edit it and I appologise for that.

I think this will be an excellant thread, and I hope I have the courage to post my thoughts soon.

Graeme.

Last edited by thebigman : Thu, Apr-24-03 at 13:58.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 16:12

Stats: 278/248/135
BF:
Progress: 21%

Great thread! I too suffer and am being treated for depression.

I have to fight myself on those darker days to stay away from the sweets and carbs.

I can no longer keep low carb substitues of my favorite things like pasta in my home. I will binge on those the same way I would their high carb cousins.

I hope that some day when the weight is all gone the depression will follow.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 17:46

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 325/287/150
BF:
Progress: 22%

What perfect timing -- I just read a short article in <I>Allure</I> magazine last night which addresses this subject, and I'm going to copy it here:

"There might be a connection between sadness and sweets, according to a Baylor College of Medicine study. Psychiatrists Arthur N. Westover and Lauren B. Marangell researched the annual rate of severe depression and the annual per capita intake of refined sugar for six countries. The data revealed a direct correlation. Rates of both were highest in New Zealand, followed by Canada, Germany, France, the United States, and Korea. The striking correlation does not prove a cause-and-effect relationship, the psychiatrists note. However, since sugar increases the body's level of mood-lifting chemicals, it's possible that depressed people crave it for that reason. Or, over time, large doses of sugar could cause the brain to cut back on production of these chemicals, leading to depression." (<I>Allure</I> magazine, April 2003, p. 150.)

I've taken mood-lifting meds twice -- once in 1992 for panic & anxiety disorder (drugs did nothing, finally kicked that one myself with a good book and some coping techniques), and again in 2001 for depression (drugs made me feel numb ... no more lows, no more highs, no desire for intimate affection, just a flat line). When I started LCing, I decided that I wanted to come off the anti-depressant, and I did. Do I ever feel low? Sure. But damn, now when things are going good, I feel that natural high again -- I missed that!! -- and after the first month, when the drugs finally were flushed out of my system, I felt the return of desire. Being off the meds made me feel human again.

I've noticed that I'm still moody, and a lot of my "depressed" moments now are reactions to specific stressful situations, as opposed to the utter hopelessness and lack of expectation I experienced when I was depressed. I truly believe, if I can find the right balance in my life of food, exercise, fun and quiet time, I can fight back against depression, the same way I kicked the PAD -- knowledge, faith, and one day at a time.

Of course, that includes figuring out how to de-stress my workplace (or de-sensitize myself to the stress!).

I realize that what seems to be working for me isn't for everyone. Listen to <B>your</B> body, and <B>your</B> brain ... and do what's best for <B>you</B>, that's my motto now!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 18:34

Stats: 380/326.4/200 Female 62 iinches
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default GREAT THREAD

I have experienced the same cycle of weight gain and depression. Both also run in my family. When events happened in my that were tragic or extremely stressful I ate to medicate myself. It was the way I got up each morning to go on for another day. I had to -I had responsibilities that had to be taken care of
I was on anti-depressents for 10 years--did nothing but gain weight. Was eating a high carb low fat diet. Got off the medication last June. 6 months of depression later went on Atkins. I am feeling better.

Last edited by KRJKRJ : Thu, Apr-24-03 at 18:36.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 21:02
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Hi Lisa

I find that when I'm feeling depressed I go toward dairy. My cream consumtion goes way up and I notice I eat more cheese and stuff like cream cheese What's sad is that I'm allergic to these things and oh the cravings they cause! (again ) Its like I'm hurting myself in response to the depression which of course makes me feel.. depressed
A vicious cycle!