Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-10, 09:09
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%
Default Lemon Pavlovas with Raspberry Cream Cheese Filling

http://lowcarbmadeeasy.com/2010/09/...s-with-berries/

I finally had some time on Sunday to try out a new recipe with some egg whites I had saved – individual low carb pavlovas! It’s something I have wanted to make for ages, but never did because well…I never have egg whites and I really HATE egg whites. LOL! These have always looked so good though, so I caved. Man oh man, this is my new favorite thing. Amazingly simple (although they do take a long time to bake/cool), and melt in your mouth delicious. These will be made often!!! Low carb, low calorie, deliciousness!

Low Carb Pavlovas with Berries

Ingredients:

For Pavlovas:

4 egg whites at room temperature
3/4 cup powdered or superfine sweetener (I used Ideal Confectionery)
Pinch of Xanthan Gum (or cream of tartar – 1/4 tsp. I didn’t have any, so I use Xanthan)
Less than 1/8 teaspoon lemon extract (optional – I used about 3 drops, just enough!)
For Berry Filling:

1 8 ounce package cream cheese at room temperature
1/3 cup powdered sweetener (I used Ideal Confectionery)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
For Berry Topping:

1/2 cup of frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
Preparation for Pavlovas:

Ok. This is going to be REALLY simple (we like that, right?)! Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.

In a bowl (or stand mixer) using a whisk attachment, beat your room temperature egg whites at medium speed until they begin to get nice and thick. Once they are thick, begin adding in your sweetener about a tablespoon or two at a time. Once all your sweetener is in and incorporated (scraping down the sides of the bowl if needed), add in the pinch of Xanthan (or cream of tartar) and the lemon extract if using. Bump the speed up to high, and continue to whip until nice, stiff peaks have formed.

Next is the fun part! Grab a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper. You can either spoon the egg whites onto the lined pan, or you can put them into a pastry bag and pipe them (I went this route). If spooning them on, make generous little piles (I got 11 out of the batch piping them on). One they are all scooped out, use the back of your spoon and hollow out a little well in the center of each for your topping later. If you opt to pipe them out, start by piping a 2.5″ diameter circle, then work your way around the inside until it’s filled in. Then pipe a band around the outside edge, forming a “cup”. I piped mine 3 layers high (JUST around the edges – not in the middle. You should only fill in the very bottom layer, then pipe around the edges until 3 “rings” tall). Bake on 200 degrees for 2 hours. Once the 2 hours has passed, turn your oven off and allow them to cool in the oven for 2 more hours.

Perparation for the berry filling:

I did this once the pavlovas had completely cooled. In a bowl, beat the cream cheese until it’s nice and smooth. Add in the sweetener and thoroughly combine. Add in the vanilla and beat some more. Finally, add in the 1/2 cup of thawed berries (and whatever juice they yield) into the cream cheese mixture and beat until completely incorporated. You can now either spoon or pipe the mixture into the wells in your pavlovas!

If you would like to top these with berries, now is the time!

These are SO good and SO pretty! They aren’t firm or crisp like meringues because you don’t let them dry out. They are sweet and spongy, kind of like a marshmallow (a little more firm, though). They totally melt in your mouth like cotton candy, and the hint of lemon is just SO good. I was just over the moon with how great these were.

Nutritional Information (11 servings):

Carbs: 2.9 g
Protein: 2.6 g
Fat: 5.5 g
Calories: 66!!!! YES, just 66 little calories.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-10, 12:02

Plan: Atkins - Back to Square 1
Stats: 236.2/216.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

For those that are not aware of making meringues, be aware that an insulated oven vs. a non-insulated oven makes a huge difference in whether or not they will lightly brown. (I don't recall which is which.)
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-10, 14:58

Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

looks sooo good! I think I might need to make LOL
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-10, 18:24

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/000/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

this looks amazing too! (just saw candiflips lemon merangue pie) think I might combine the two and make the pavlovas and fill it with lc lemon curd!!!! satisfy 2 cravings at once!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-10, 18:58
Induction ≠ Atkins

That's soooo my next one! I love lemon curd!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-10, 21:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

How'd the meringues come out? When I've tried without sugar they were always a mess. They would flatten out and have a really weird texture. Not like a real meringue at all.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-10, 06:39
Induction ≠ Atkins

These were supposed to be softer, and since I haven't made a pavlova before, I don't have much to compare it to. It was nice and firm, slightly crisp on the outside...but was still a little chewy as it was meant to be. They don't cool/dry out as long as a meringue would, so they don't get to the point of being hard. I really, really, REALLY like them. I'm going to make another batch tonight, I think (have to see if I have time for them...)

These certainly didn't flatten (I piped the sides 3 layers high). I haven't tried to make them with anything other than the powdered Ideal, so maybe other sweeteners don't work as well.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-10, 14:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Ideal® Confectionery provides all the flavor of your favorite buttercream frosting, without using sugar – especially important for those with diabetes and calorie-conscious individuals. Plus, Ideal® Confectionery has 130 fewer calories per cup than sugar, and xylitol, the key ingredient in all Ideal® products, is known to effectively reduce tooth decay

Hmm... sounds like it might actually contain sugar in addition to xylitol. That would explain why your pavlova came out so good. Although I bet you could do it with Xy. and E.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-10, 15:04
Induction ≠ Atkins

Nope. Here's what the bag says:

"Xylitol, Maltodextrin, and less than 0.05% sucralose for added sweetness"

I'm not sure why they came out well...or that it was hard to get them to come out without sugar. Maybe it was the xanthan gum that I used instead of cream of tartar?

Edit: I'm making another batch now to see if it was beginner's luck or something. Plus, they're gone and I want more

Last edited by krystalr : Wed, Sep-29-10 at 15:16.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-10, 19:29
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Oooooo, these look soooooo good! I love raspberries! Got to try these
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-10, 19:37
Induction ≠ Atkins

Second batch turned out great. I think it's the xanthan gum. The texture changes REALLY quickly once I add it. Really nice and stiff. I didn't pipe them this time either since I thought that might be part of it - just big dallops.

I made the filling with a a cup and a half of whipped cream folded in. Really nice!