Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 10:51
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/167/125 Female 5'1
BF:44%
Progress: 61%
Unhappy Encouragement Needed Please

I have been lo-carbing since March 15. So, figure 2 months. In those 2 months I have lost 25lbs. I walk 3x a week and do 20 sit-ups a day. I am getting discouraged. Nothing else is coming off. It's been 3 weeks since I last weighed in so I'm not sure if I lost more or not. I am not noticing it in my clothes though anymore. My sons graduation is this Saturday. I have gone from a size 26 down to anywhere from a 22 to a 20 depending on the clothes. I went shopping last night to buy something to wear. It was either way to big, or way to small. NOTHING was in between. This of course has me discouraged, frustrated angry but most of all sad. They don't make a size 21!!! I realize I should be happy about what I've lost so far, but now I am dreaming at night of pigging out at Wendys, and Burger King. People keep shouting at me not to do it but I tell them I don't care, it's not working so I can eat whatever. Luckily it's not spilling over into my waking world. Can anyone tell me if they had gone thru a spell where they didn't lose anything?
I am very good at watching what I am eating. If anything, I hardly even eat my wraps anymore (3 grams carb) I just eat the meat, cheese and lettuce on its own. I can honestly say I know it's not sneaking extra carbs in. I don't do any prepackaged bars or what have you. I just need someone to tell me to keep going. It's only been 2 months and maybe by August, it will be better yet. I talked to a lady who has been lo-carbing since Jan. She has lost 80lbs so far. She looks fabulous. I guess I'm just greedy and jealous. Someone please HELP!!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 11:07
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Let me just say WOW 25 pounds in two months is great!!! There are people around here who would kill for that! You body could just be taking time right now to readjust to the hugh loss. Relax, you are doing great!!!

Everyone is different, and we do not all lose at the same rate. It is really unfair to expect you losses to be the same as your friends. But just look how far you have come in those two months!

If you are worry still that something is not going well, give us a sample of your daily meals and maybe someone will pick up on something you are missing.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 11:30
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/167/125 Female 5'1
BF:44%
Progress: 61%

I don't change my meals to much-I don't get bored with it either which is great!
Breakfast- lo-carb wrap (3 net carbs) turkey, swiss cheese & horseradish. (or roast beef, or chicken)
Lunch- the same
dinner- the same
or I will treat myself and have a subway club salad (less the ham)
no snacking on anything but a rolled up piece of cheese with a hunk of meat, no cheating..this keeps me satisfied really well
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 11:44

Plan: Healthy Balance (my own)
Stats: 220/192/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

OH you are doing great! I hope I am doing that great six weeks from now!! I think to keep from being too discouraged, I would maybe try a few new foods, and treat yourself to something fun like a movie, or a new purse for being so faithful to yourself!

Just don't give up thinking it doesn't work for you. You already have evidence that it does! This isn't necessarily a "weight loss" gimmick..this is a way of life! Just think to yourself that even if you never lose another pound, youwant to be healthy and this is the best way for you to do that.

Keep up the good work!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 12:01

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Plan
Stats: 194/165/145 Female 66
BF:39/37/28
Progress: 59%

25 pounds in two months is great! And remember, those are 25 pounds that you will never see again.
When I started last January, I sat down and asked myself what I would do if I didn't get down to my goal weight. Or if it took forever to lose any weight.
I realized that just being certain I had stopped my relentless weight gain would be a benefit. And, of course, after 2 weeks I felt much better than I had before.
Even though I am losing very slowly, it's coming off for good!
Maybe you should think about changing up your food a little. I think you'll get bored with your routine. There are lots of terrific recipes here on this site, or at the Atkins web pages. It's a good opportunity to find new recipes for when you want to treat yourself.
Keep up the great work, we'll get there, and won't we be proud when we do.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 13:14
Registered Member

Plan: Cudmore
Stats: 342/310/180 Male 68
BF:34
Progress: 20%

Every person is different. Here are some things to try. First try eating 4-6 small meals per day vs. 3 squares. Second, change your exercise routine. If you are walking on flat ground try some hills or walk faster or think about joining a gym or working with a personal trainer (a little pricey but cheaper than by-passes and insulin). You may want to consult a doctor (one that specializes in barriatrics or endocrinology) and have them check you out for thyroid and insulin resistance. Try adding a few more carbs to your diet. Most of Dr. Atkins recommendations are based on averages which means some people do better with more carbs others do better with less. Make sure your additional carbs are high quality and rich in fiber like berries. Don’t be afraid to occasionally indulge your cravings. Loosing weight is a marathon not a sprint. You also might want to consider taking a chromium supplement and if you are having an issue with appetite 5-htp. My doctor has me taking both of these supplements and they seem to work without any of the side effects associated with ephedra and other stimulate based products. Make sure you are drinking lots of water and watch the sodium. Meats, especially processed deli meats contain lots of sodium.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 14:21
Out of service...

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I agree with everything that everyone has said here... 25 pounds is great, and you should be very happy with that.
If that's really all that you eat every day, then you could be having problems because you aren't eating any vegetables at all. The wraps three times a day every day could definitely stall some people out, too. Possibly not enough food in general, how many calories are you getting a day?
A great tool to track your food is www.fitday.com. You can make sure that you are getting enough fat and calories to make sure that your body doesn't go into starvation mode, because if it does you'll have a very hard time losing!

Jenn
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 20:43

Plan: atkins (kinda)
Stats: 196.6/188.1/150 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 18%

ditto the fitday suggestion

i've just had to start using this and have found it invaluable and it's kickstarted my weightloss again.

put EVERYTHING you consume into it, including things like the butter you cook your eggs in or the teaspoon of coffee etc...it's the only way to get an accurate reading of your daily consumption etc...

depending what your true carb and calorie count is you may need to make adjustments. tweak it till you find the right balance and keep up the good work.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 21:46

Plan: General Low carb
Stats: 302/295/185 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 6%

*whoa* I didn't read all the replies - but geesh, just give your body a bit of time to catch up with itself!