Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 01:16

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Unsolicited comments from strangers (vent)

I'm sure we've all been there.

Today a co-worker -- her second day on the job, might I add, and our first real conversation -- commented negatively on my food choices. I did not comment on hers. I defended my lifestyle but I've been stewing over this all day.

I really am offended that a complete stranger would give unsolicited comments about MY life, MY eating plan and what I CHOOSE to do. She went on about her low fat diet, and losing 40lbs in two months. Good for her, weight loss isn't easy. But instead of feeling happy for her, I am angry because she judged my way of life, and because she believes the media spin doctoring of the low-carb diet.

She's no skinny minnie herself -- not that one person's weight is 100% indicative of a weight-loss plan -- so why she chose to comment I am unsure.

The silliest part was, her lecture occured while I was eating a SPINACH SALAD. How anyone can tell ME that my eating is unhealthy while I'm eating one of the most nutrient-dense vegetables, I do not know.

AUGH. Ok I'm done venting now. Sigh. I'll let her think what she likes and as she sees me go down the scales perhaps I can be an example of how low carb can work for some people.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 01:33
aka Celestine

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Obviously she just read the book "How To Win Friends And Influence People".

Liz
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 01:38

Plan: Atkins, KISS
Stats: 235/200/183 Male 6' 1
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Smile

Smile and tell her how gooooood your cheese dipped in mayo tastes.

Or your strawberries in cream.

Or bacon and eggs for brekky.

Or that big juicy steak you had last night.

Ask her how that rabbit food she eats tastes.

What a dork.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 01:55
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Take the higher road. Just smile sweetly and say "I'm glad you found something that worked for you." Then drop the subject or move away. The more she gets the polite cold shoulder the more she may think about opening her big mouth.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 02:03
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I go through this all the time as soon as someone finds out I am a vegetarian. Happens at school, work and even this site. Kind of cracks me up that other people are so interested in what I put or don't put in my mouth. Maybe we should come up with a list of snappy replies to nosy, obnoxious people? The below are stolen!

1. When I want your opinion, I will be sure to ask for it.
2. I can see your point, but I still think you're full of crap.
3. I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce.
4.You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers.
5.I'll give you a nice, shiny quarter if you'll go away.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 02:53

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

I love the rabbit food one!!! That's great. I can't wait to use that on this friend that is into low fat everything and says I'm going to go into kidney failure on Atkins. Annie
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 05:24

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

In 6 months smile at her and ask her how her Low calorie high carb diet is going!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 06:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

You know I went through this last week, and the advice I was given was wonderful. The fact is, she is nothing to you in your life - you are doing a fantastic job of staying true to your way of life, and when her stomach is growling at 2pm becuase she is starving, you can smile sweetly and say "gee, I am still so full from lunch"!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 06:53

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

haha, in two months when she has gained all her weight back and you have continued to loose.. ask her how her "low fat" diet is going?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 09:15
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

There are times when a one-finger salute is called for, but not appropriate... <sigh>
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 10:00

Stats: 189/135/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

My Mom who has been on the low carb WOL with me for over a year, (we've lost 75 lbs between us) was recently purchasing an DANDR book at our favorite second hand shop when this complete stranger says "I hope your not gonna do that diet!" My mom replied, "I've been eating this way for over a year." The lady went on and on about how Dr. Atkins died of liver failuer oir some other crap, and that she would pray for my Mom that she wouldn't die of this "Awful Diet" Well, to say she was flabbergasted is an understatement. She was so pissed off because she couldn't at the time think of a reply. She came back and told me, and of course I thought of a few choive words including "busy body, ignorant people should keep their mouths shut about things they haven't a clue." But, I wasn't there...sigh...
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 11:05

Stats: 160/160/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree with the person who said that you should smile and say that you're glad she found something that works for her. The truth is that no single plan works for everybody. I am one of the people who has been very successful on a low fat diet. I lost almost 60 pounds about five years ago while exercising and following a low fat/high fiber diet. I had stayed the same weight for four years until last year at this time when I did Atkins to fit into a dress (I needed to lose weight quickly and someone told me Atkins might work.) It did work, and I lost 10 pounds in about six weeks. I was thrilled until I went back to the way I was eating before and all of the weight came back, plus about ten pounds extra. Now I'm struggling to get these 10 pounds off again so I'll be back to my 'normal' weight again.

So far this time around on Atkins I haven't been nearly as successful. One person said I'm not having enough fat, but the truth is, if I add that much fat into my diet, I have severe stomach pains. Also, the last time I was on Atkins, my cholestrol skyrocketed. My doctor said if I was going to do low carb, I need to also do low fat. Where's the fun in that?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 11:43

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Ah, the naysayers. I do so love them.

About a month ago I had some friends from out of town visit for the day. For lunch we had the pizza quiche and a small salad and for dinner we had roasted chicken, roasted asparagus and a green salad followed by fresh strawberries and real whipped cream.

During dinner the young "ahem" lady was making some really uncalled for remarks about the idiots on Atkins - didn't they know all the fat and bacon would kill them and they just must have the world's worst cholesterol.

After dinner both she and her mom complimented me on the menu. My answer? I'm so glad you both enjoyed your Atkins' lunch and dinner. I sincerely hope you both don't have heart attacks on the way home.

DEAD SILENCE!!!!

I think I made them mad because they haven't even sent a thank you note for the birthday gift I sent home with them.

Oh well, it's their loss.

shortstuff
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 12:08
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I just say, "I'm glad that [fill in the blank -- Weight Watchers, lowfat, whatever they are pushing] works for you. I tried it and it didn't work for me."

I can almost always say that, because I tried just about everything else before low carbing and none of them worked!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 12:08
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Now I'm not a very confrontational person, but Skinnyshel, in that case, I think I would have to just ask the woman "Are you always this rude to complete strangers?" Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that doesn't mean it's always appropriate to share it...