Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 10:41

Plan: My plan
Stats: 212/190/180 Female 62"
BF:go/n/down
Progress: 69%
Default Lets talk syrup....oh wait...

I know that this thread has a big chance of being moved to the kitchen area or some other. To tell you the truth though, Atkins is all about Food. It is about what goes into your mouth, and through this..what becomes your body and health.
"What keeps ya'll going on this WOL?" you may ask.
Well, CHANGE of course. By the first week people get sick of eating just meat, eggs, cheese, and salads amd think "I can't stick with this! There is no way! yes, I'm down 5 lbs, but but but but" WE would rather do nothing more than to run out and buy those fat-free bags of doritos and swing by Sonic for their new fat-free smoothy (so-called friends were trying to tempt me) and anounce to those friends "I'm going back on low-fat!"
CHANGE, This is why we come here for support. What's something new, what else can I do, where can i get that, How many carbs?!?! What? I have to excercise??
WE can come back and come back and come back over n over for advice.

I would like to Thank all those who keep coming back not only to get advice but to give the advice they have been given. Thank you people!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Soooooooo, on to syrup. (I didn't feel like hyjacking someone else's pancake thread K)
Hear first that I only recommend sf syrup AFTER induction. K

We can use sweetners such as Splenda, Nutrasweet, Stevia, etc. (please don't protest the types cuz you know that any is better than plain ol' sugar)
in foods to sweeten them up a bit. What about the recipes that call for a sticky/sweet thing going on? This, dear friends, is where our sugar-free syrup comes in. yes, they are going off in your heads right now.

I have made my families favorite dish for years now. It's called Aussie Chicken. It is as follows-
16 oz. bacon cooked
cook 3lbs cut up chicken breasts in bacon grease
put it in a big baking dish
saute half an onion, 1 sm can mushrooms,
in a bowl mix 1/4 cup mayo, 1/4 cup karo syrup, 1/2 cup mustard, 1/2 cup honey, 1 big tbsp onion flakes.
pour this mixture over the chicken, top with bacon , mushrooms n onions,
then top with 2 cups colby-jack cheese and bake it til its bubbley.

This is divine. absolutely divine.
What I do NOW is substitute the sf syrup in place of the karo and honey. I only use about 1/2 of the sf syrup though. Still delicious and now very LC friendly.
Can anyone else think of any other Atkins friendly recipes using sf syrup?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 11:58
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

First of all, I have never read an Adkins book. My only knowledge of Adkins is mainly what I have read on this site. I have however followed some of the same rules deduced from common sense thinking since adopting a LC WOL.

That in mind, added to the fact that I didn't find this site till after I was at 100% of my goal, most of my early recipes I had to derive from recipes that were already familiar to me.

LOL, that said, one of the very first meals I ever cook LC or otherwise was porkchop supreme (page 50 old red betty crocker cookbook)
I remember I so impressed everybody in my family because I had never cooked anything before in my life. I went for year after that answering when asked if I could cook? "Sure I can! My porkchop supreme is a killer.".....lol

but I digress,
point is the first thing I converted to LC was this recipe because it is what I knew and I did it with a couple simple substitution.
scallions for onions
lc ketchup for reg ketchup
and
davinci syrup for brown sugar

The frist time I made it LC my family didn't know and as a matter of fact my DW ask me if I thought it was wise to eat this given my diabeties.
Nobody knew the difference.

So in keeping with this thread I won't post the recipe here but am willing to post it in main dishes if any would like.

It is a great sort of sweet and sour dish that is great with chicken also.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 15:58

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Being moved isn't a bad thing. It can still be reached by going to this forum and it gives us an opportunity to visit another board.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-06, 22:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/207/175 Male 5ft9''
BF:??/21/18
Progress: 49%

I'm wondering why it's called "Aussie Chicken"?

add vegemite or beer and I could see why.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-06, 11:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 243/238/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 9%

The "aussie chicken" sounds good.
Kevinpa, That Betty Crocker book was my first recipe book (long before I really started cooking) and I still refer to it. Haven't made that pork chop recipe in quite awhile but now I'm interested again. Did you just use the CaVinci's simple syrup rather than the flavored? I was wondering if I'd need to add a bit of molasses for the brown sugar replacement of it he caramel flavored SF syrup would do.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 06:17

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribal
I'm wondering why it's called "Aussie Chicken"?

add vegemite or beer and I could see why.

Actually... I'm wondering why it is called "Adkins"

Just teasin' kevinpa
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 07:45
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb2000
Kevinpa, That Betty Crocker book was my first recipe book (long before I really started cooking) and I still refer to it. Haven't made that pork chop recipe in quite awhile but now I'm interested again. Did you just use the CaVinci's simple syrup rather than the flavored? I was wondering if I'd need to add a bit of molasses for the brown sugar replacement of it he caramel flavored SF syrup would do.

actually i used the caramel flavored syrup....it was that or the Kahlua syrup and I opted for caramel.....lol
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 07:48
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun keater
Actually... I'm wondering why it is called "Adkins"

Just teasin' kevinpa

see, that proves I never read it.....
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 08:04
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb2000

BTW JJ I made a crockpot dish yesterday called Crockpot cranberry chicken that reminded me so much of the sauce that you get with pork chop supreme. I have subbed chicken for the pork in the BC recipe in the past and this tasted just like it........the recipe is in my journal if your interested.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 00:03
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I made my version of Aussie chicken for dinner tonight. Its called Aussie or Alice chicken because its a copycat from outbacks Alice chicken.

I pounded some chicken breasts and rubbed with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. I sauteed fresh mushrooms in olive oil until all the water was out of them and I crisped up some bacon.

I seared the chicken breasts on high heat with the bacon drippings for 3 minutes on each side and then put in a 10x13
I made a faux honey mustard sauce by boiling some water, shugr and polyd and then after it was all mixed together and began to thicken I added mustard, mayo, onion powder (didn't have onion flakes) and a touch a paprika. Whisk it all in really well. Coat the chicken pieces with the honey mustard sauce then top with mushrooms and bacon and jack cheese. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 15 minutes until the cheese is all melted.

Its really yummy!

I had it with some sauteed spinach but it goes great with broccoli or cauliflower.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 09:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

i might have to give this a try. i love syrups on foods. sue