Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 12:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/137/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Question Breve Latte with Sugarfree Vanilla (revisited)

Hi, I'm new to the board. I'm on an extended induction phase, trying to find a way to do this and still satisfy certain cravings (coffee in the morning, something fruity, chocolate, etc.)

I thought I had found the solution to my morning when I learned that any good coffee place can make me a "breve latte" which means it's made with half and half, which according to the carton has only about one carb per serving. I've been literally ordering "venti" breves with sugarfree vanilla syrup every morning, thinking it was more or less a free food, and they keep me going until lunchtime when I can have a salad.

Problem is, I heard y'all talking about "fitday," and according to fitday (which doesn't have an entry for "breve"), half and half has about 10 grams of carbohydrate per cup! (http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/FoodFa...100&OwnerID=100) Which means that "venti" puts me right over the induction carbs for the entire day.

Is a breve, or is it not, a low-carb beverage? And have you run into any other conflicts between packaging and fitday's data? Thanks so much for your feedback.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 12:15

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

No, it is not a lowcarb beverage. A serving of half and half is a TBLS!!! A cup has about 14-16 grams of carbs (16 TBLS in a cup).

The reason we use cream or half and half, especially for things like protein shakes, is because you only need about 1/3 of a cup of cream to 2/3 of a cup water for a shake. Denser flavors mean you are not using as much for your coffee/tea either.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 12:49

BF:

Oh . . . my . . . . . . goodness, I guess the moral is don't just look at the carbs on the label, look at the serving size. Well I just threw away the rest of my breve and won't be ordering another. Maybe now I'll get those little strips back to purple!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 14:14

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

i discovered a cure for my morning latte cravings....

i order an americano, then have them put SF syrup and a splash of cream. it took me a couple before i got used to the change in flavor, but now that is what i crave in the mornings instead of latte's.

good luck to you
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 15:16

Stats: 156.8/136/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I use unsweetened soy milk for my latte. It only has 1 carb per cup. I love them.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 23:34

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I love fresh roasted coffee from my coffee mill each morning (Dillanos's coffee is my fave)!, and a little whip cream and 1 pkt splenda. I feel no need for Starbucks at that point.

Lawyer, one thing I want to ask you is: you mentioned you were using lattes in the mornings and that they hold you until you have a salad for lunch. Are you having breakfast as well?

The other point is make sure your salad is loaded with fat and protein. You'll find it easier to lose weight.

Have a happy morning tomorrow, and just think how good a cup of good coffee will taste (especially with a friend)!

From the latte capital of the U.S.,
Annie-Pie
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 07:25

Plan: ?
Stats: 130/125/125 Female 5' 7"
BF:12%
Progress: 100%
Default I LOVE ESPRESSO

I make my own DECAF espresso and I used full fat whipping cream with a little stevia. I don't go overboard on the stevia because it can get bitter if overdone.

My hubby & I are going to Brazil this Christmas (our winter is their summer) and I plan to bring back truckloads of Decaf Brazilian espresso - well - at least 4 big bags!!!

For me it's hard to fins soy that has less than 8 grams of sugar per cup - and I also love the flavor of real cream much more!!!

I tell ya after adding protein back into my diet (from eating all raw fruits, veggies, nuts only) I'm feeling alot better!!!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 08:52

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30

A short breve with SF vanilla is still a much better "treat" on occassion then indulging in a high carb item. If had by itself... most of us can easily handle a 13 to 15 gram carb intake without significantly spiking our blood sugar levels. That is the name of the game. If you have it WITH something else - then yes you will likely spike your blood sugar levels.

When I have one - it is when on a big "shopping" day with my girl friends... as a treat. I have nothing else with it. (couple hours after eating and a don't eat for a few hours afterwards). I usually give up "losing" weight that day ... but I have never gained or kicked myself out of ketosis.

Just my experience.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 09:30

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%
Lightbulb

A Starbucks "tall" (which is the smallest one--ironic, huh? ) would be a better option. I THINK the carb count for a tall breve with SF vanilla would be about 8 carbs, as it only includes about a cup of half and half due to steaming, plus the space the espresso takes up. I don't think it's that bad of an option, especially if you're the type who can't bring themselves to have breakfast. How it would affect you weight loss is another story; I'm not the best person to give advice on that, as my insulin resistance is very low (I can eat 100 g a day and not gain weight...I could probably go higher, but it makes me feel crappy).

But, Lawyer, I think if you're really craving something "fruity" you might want to add that 5 gram increment into your diet. Strawberries and cream, yum! You might find, like I did during OWL, that I didn't lose any less weight at slightly higher carb counts than induction.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 19:52

BF:

Thanks everyone; yes I get so busy during the days that often I don't eat. For example, today I had two cups of coffee for breakfast and lunch (lunch was decaf) with powdered creamer and equal. Then a spinach salad with bacon egg tomato and mushrooms at dinnertime, plus I'm sure I'll have something later.

For fruitiness I have crystal light pink lemonade or sugarfree jell-o strawberry banana. M
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-12, 14:36

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 197/194/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 5%

I work at starbucks and I usually make my breve lattes with heavy cream instead of half n half. All the stores should have heavy whipping cream now because we make our whipped cream with it.

I'm not sure how many carbs a tall heavy cream latte has, but definitely less than one made with half n half. I'll check the cartons for nutrition facts when I'm at work tomorrow and update!

Also what you can do if you like the taste of a latte but want less carbs is ask for a breve misto. That's half coffee and half steamed half n half. A tall would have half the carbs as a regular breve (4 instead of 8).
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-12, 23:12

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some

Starbucks does have a short, you just have to ask for it.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-12, 09:08

Stats: 238/174/170 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I have them mix 2 ounces of half and half with hot water and steam it...then Add the espresso and sf syrup...not quite as creamy as a full cup of H&H but I can taste the espresso and flavorings better and I don't get all the calories from the milk product...They never give me any problem ordering this way...frothing the water and H&H makes it foamy and oh so rich.