Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 04:51

Plan: protein power
Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%
Question alcohol

does anyone here drink alcohol?

I would like to hear any personal stories about wine drinking .

Protein Power book seems not to forbid it but to encourage it in small amounts . I have not had any but would like to try ,but not to fluff up my new WOE LOL

Rob
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 05:16

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Hi Rob,

I also have been following PP since Dec' 99...the best advice I could give to you is that you have to see what works for you...as you know the Eades state that if you are going to indulge in wine that dry is the way to go... I personally indulge in wine and spirits on occassion and in moderation.... if you do a search on wine and alcohol you will find many threads that have discussed this issue in great depth...

Bonnie
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 05:25

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Lightbulb The grapes of wrath

Hi Rob

Whilst I drink very little alcohol there are a number of UK participants who really like the odd, or not so odd, glass of wine. Beside the alcohol wine has around 3 or so carbs per average glass, so remember to count these. Alcohol is always burnt off before other enegy sources, so it has an impact on calorie levels.

Pop into Lastchance's journal. I am sure that a month or so ago she was having discussions about wine drinking and came to the conclusion that she was drinking too much and thus it was stopping her loosing weight. It seems likely that one or two glasses once a week are OK, but too much more is likely to really slow your progress.

#4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 11:39

Talking weight loss

The Eades actually say that a small amount of alcohol can actually help you loose weight and they quote a few pieces of research about this subject .

What do you make of this ?

Rob
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 12:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Wait until at least half-way to goal?

Rob,

I hardly ever drink wine. Definitely slows progress. There is an interesting thread on wine you might like to check out.

Might I suggest waiting until you are at least half-way to your goal – decision is yours of course.

Take care,
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-02, 11:20

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default scuse me did someone say dwinkies hic

Yes I do tipple. I drink red wine......and white wine......and rose wine......lets say I drink wine.

I too gave up for Atkins induction and after two months read Protein power and went whoopee. Nicely timed for Christmas.

However I also love Famous Grouse and soda water. While there are no carbs in spirits and I knew that the pure alchohol would delay weight loss rather than the weight gain through the carbs in Beer and lager (I do like Stella and Grolsch.....how could I watch the world cup and not have on), nevertheless I persisted in my regular nightcap.

If you go to the beginning of my Journal you will see that it was the alcohol that I indentified as the the sole cause of a six week stall.

I stopped for two weeks and the weight began to go again.

There is a post that I started called Black Gold where I announce my discovery that Guinness is a relatively low carb beer ( about 5 carbs for half pint).

But allround as there are positive health benefits with moderate red wine consumption that is now my tipple of choice. famous grouse maybe at the weekends only.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-02, 23:48

Arrow alcohol

Hey all,

thanks for your very informative replies. As of yet I have not had any alcohol , not that I'm a big drinker but the idea of a glass or two interests me especially since the Eades say that it may sensitise the body to insulin and even stimulate weight loss .

I do take on board that it may cause a stall thats why I have not indulged . I like the idea of maybe only on weekends or only when I'm more than 1/2 way to goal . I'm not really a beer drinker ,prefer spirits and cocktails . I've got a full bottle of delicious KWV port wine as well as other red wines and I dont now what to do with them . I've also got tequila as well as KWV brandy LOL

Thanks for your interesting comments once again

Rob
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-24-02, 06:38

Stats: 251/175/175
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Rob!
My weakness is whisky.
I've found that with most spirits the carb content is negligible, and I'm Ok with an occaisional tipple. (as long as I'm careful to use sugar-free mixers)
I did stall once due to 'overindulgence' shall we say, but overall I get through about 8-10 measures a week and haven't noticed any detrimental effects.
I see from your last post that you also like spirits, so maybe that's the way to go for you.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-24-02, 13:48

Arrow alcohol

Hi Carlos,
thanks for answering . I'm really not a drinker but I wonder how it would go if I had some ,or if I used it in cooking ??

I do have afew bottles of the stuff hanging about and I want to use it before it goes bad LOL. I read that spirits are digested as if they were fats . Protein Power book says that it may even stimulate weight loss and that 1 or 2 small glasses of dry wine are acceptable with 1 to 1.5 g carbs per Oz .

I havent had a tipple yet , but the day will come

I heard that you get pretty slammed as well cos of the low carb .

Rob
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 06:15

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%
Default Miller-Lite in the UK?

Can you buy the low carb beer Miller Lite in the UK? I haven't seen it anywhere, but it seems like a good idea! Also, how do you find the carb content of no-alcohol beer. Sometimes I used to drink Kaliber if I wanted a cold beer but needed to drive later or something. But now I'm not sure if I can, cos I can't find out its carb content. Any ideas?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 13:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/124/126
BF:
Progress: 106%

HI,

I have the odd glass of dry white, I usually find that is enough to go to my head !!!

It hasn't affected the weight loss.

#12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-02, 01:29

Talking I agree

Hi Tink,

I think no alcohol for such a long time would reduce ones tolerance and thereby causing one to det grunk much quicker .

I havent had a drink for months . Hate to find out how I react as I was never the worlds biggest drinker LOL

Hey is sugarfreek.uk your business ?????

Rob
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-02, 04:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/124/126
BF:
Progress: 106%

Yes Rob,

I am co-owner / founder ! Initially started for diabetics, it is how I discovered the LC way of life. Thanks to Lc I have got to my goal weight so I am now maintaining.

You can email me for a discount code if you like.

#14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-02, 04:31

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%

{I think no alcohol for such a long time would reduce ones tolerance and thereby causing one to det grunk much quicker ...}

You are right Rob. I was teetotal for …. let’s just say a lonnnng time as I don’t want to give away my age !! ….. and now I find one glass will do for me what .. perhaps ten glasses will do for someone else. I have to be responsible as to how much is safe FOR ME if I choose to drink. It might be fun to find out how LCing has affected you.

Take care,
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 04:11

Stats: 308/221/199 Female 63 inches
BF:ugh!
Progress: 80%
Default Lager

I am at the end of my first week of Atkins, and am going to the pub tonight... I WILL have one pint of Stella, and then go on the soda water, as im driving. But does anyone know how many carbs are in that one pint?

Little Ann has posted a UK carb counter here, and i checked lager and bitter on it and it says 'trace' amount of carbs, but that is totally NOT what Fitday says.. Fitday says it's 1.11 grams carb per ounce, and i think an Imperial pint is 20 US ounces, so that's my entire carb count for the day if i trust Fitday.
How can these 2 sites give such COMPLETELY different answers? You could maybe see them differing a wee bit, but not this much!

If anyone can help me with a lager carb count, i would be most grateful!