Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-18, 15:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/200.5/185 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Best Board Ever!

I have been lurking for a couple of weeks and, before I get into the intro, I'd like to say how pleasant and knowledgeable ALL the folks on here are. Even when someone perceives they've come close to the edge of conflict, all parties are apologetic.

What a breath of fresh air.

I'm a 64 year old man. Due to a death in the family I spent the last two years away from my normal M.O. and gained 30 pounds. I have always been active and athletic and take no meds. I have no unhealthy vises, unless you include a good cup of coffee in that category. I competed in body building into my 50th year.

I got back on my training regimen of clean eating. I decided I would hit the gym again after I lost a few pounds.

UH OH. Things appear to be different. I have one word for that! YOUR-BODY-DOES-NOT-RESPOND-THE-SAME!

So, after looming in the shadows here for a while, I decided to begin induction about three weeks ago

I have almost NO carbs, <15 grams per day.

I started the gym at the same time. I lift heavy - to failure - so I change my body comp pretty quickly. That means I am adding muscle at the same time I am trying to lose weight so the scale hasn't changed. Dimensions have.

I think I have an insulin belly now and am wearing 36" waist instead of 32".

I have scary willpower once the decision is made and have not had a single cheat.

I don't want to force food down but I don't seem to eat much. I eat protein and fat as in rib eye and fatty ground beef. Chicken wings and chicken breast with skin are used to modulate the fat.

I can NOT eat more than two meals, (probably 1500-1800 kCal total) yet I don't suffer from fatigue or soreness.

I will keep on doing this until I get where I'm going. I don't yet feel the need to tweak. FWIW - I am in some form of ketosis 24/7.

Any, and all, suggestions are warmly welcomed.

I'm not sure if this is background enough - or too much, but I want to close by saying that this is the most polite, most intelligent board, word-for-word, that I've been on.

So - here's a howdy y'all from Florida and thanks for the ad.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-18, 17:30

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi Mr. turnitdown

Welcome!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-18, 18:33

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Howdy! Keep doing what you're doing, sounds like it's working for you.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-18, 20:24

BF:

SO nice to get the welcome. I am not sure it's working, but I AM committed to make it work.

Intellectually, I know this will work. I know muscle gain is offsetting fat loss.

I might be a slave to the scale. Baaaad.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-18, 21:13

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Welcome!!!

You totally understand the scale. Trading muscle for fat is a good exchange. I try to teach my teens that weight is not so important as "pinch an inch"....

And HOW you feel is rewarding......

Will you start a journal??
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-18, 05:38

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnitdown
... might be a slave to the scale. Baaaad.

What has been helpful to me is to just record it and let it go as quickly as I step off of it. I look at the scale like a barometer and the act of stepping on it like looking out the window at the same time. You can't tell if it's sunny by looking at the barometer, or cloudy for that matter.

One can have nothing to do with the other and if you start trying to correlate the short term with the long term and 37 other variables, I've seen it derail more people here than all the toes and fingers on at least 24 bodies.

Measure. Record. Move On.

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/daily.txt

However, I know, from personal experience (I know someone) that body building and diet leading up to contests is all about being anal and manipulation of diet and trusting in results. That's a recipe for disaster in the long term, at least the way I think. Don't be an asshole to your body.

You say things are different now. Perhaps it's a good time to start thinking different

your results may vary.
all, some or none of the above statements may or may
not be true. you may lose some, none or in some cases, all
of your weight. i take no responsibility for these claims and
by reading this you waive any legal rights and recourse

Last edited by thud123 : Wed, Oct-03-18 at 05:46.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-18, 09:42

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Welcome, turnitdown! After reading your post, I'd like to recommend Mark Sisson's blog and website, marksdailyapple.com and his original book, The Primal Blueprint. I think his philosophy, advice and example would resonate with you. I follow Atkins as well but incorporate a lot of his teachings into my food and lifestyle choices.

Best of luck to you!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-18, 10:02

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Welcome aboard! With your training regimen, the INCHES will go first. The extra pounds will probably follow...but, if they don't, would it really be a BAD thing to have 30 more pounds of muscle at age 64 than you did at age 54?

Actually, I suspect you'll start seeing some weight loss soon. Unaccustomed exercise results in some inflammation which means that despite being in ketosis 24/7 your body is holding onto some extra fluid and it is amazing how much that can affect apparent body weight. As you get fully re-accustomed to your exercise routine, you'll probably see a big whoosh.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-18, 10:12

BF:

Thanks for all the responses. I DO look at the scale simply as a utility for a metric in one single area. I can see/feel changes that the scale won't record. Just habit really.

I am familiar with Mark and Sisson. I refer to them frequently now and again.

I am not naive, but let's say I am bemused by my thinking that it would take the same amount of time to get to, as I say, the top of the mountain as it did 15 years ago, so any progress, scale or otherwise, is a win. Looking for them anywhere I can find them. I do have NSVs though and that's great while the scale decides to cooperate or not.

Hmmm - Just occurred to me, I haven't eaten since this time yesterday and just now thinking of...meat.

I wish there was a "LIKE" button for all your great encouragement.

Last edited by turnitdown : Wed, Oct-03-18 at 10:18. Reason: post script
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-18, 12:35

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

hey there! just wanted to join in and say welcome! Will you start a journal so we can visit you there?
I'm a slave to the scale too. It's a love/hate relationship. We seem to understand each other.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-18, 13:59

BF:

As I feel my way around this site, I likely will start a journal. It's a worthy discipline.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-18, 17:51
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

We're a good group and do our best to share information about what works and doesn't work for us. I'm fond of using the term n=1, which you may or may not know. "An N of 1 trial is a clinical trial in which a single patient is the entire trial, a single case study." My journal is my n=1.

I'm like this no nonsense resource as well:
https://www.nerdfitness.com/free-resources/

Hello and welcome!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-18, 19:27
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

The older body doesn't respond as well, and digestion may not be as good. I like steak 'n eggs, but occasionally have a whey protein shake like Body Fortress with diluted cream or Half 'n Half. I don't lift as much as I used to, but then I am almost 70
Oddly enough I find intermittent fasting increases strength too.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-18, 22:11

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Welcome, turnitdown. As you've discovered, you'll find lots of information here and support. Be patient with induction, and it will be nice to you. And be particularly patient as your metabolism and body transition to fat burning mode. It takes several weeks to really start feeling comfortable and for your body to get used to burning clean. The scale is ok for reinforcement, but it's never linear. The important thing is for you to be consistent with your meals in all circumstances and situations. Over time, you'll get so used to this way of eating that you will no longer consider it an effort. That's when you'll be able to call it a healthy lifestyle. Enjoy the journey.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-18, 08:55

BF:

I have found a ton of support in this forum just by reading, let alone everyone sending encouragement.

There is an encyclopedic stash of links and papers on here too. Someone has been busy.

As for persistence and consistency, I have found this to be the easiest WOE I have ever found. I have had temptations put in front of me and have easily declined.

I eat two meals a day in an 8-10 hour window. Sometimes I have to force myself to eat so I get enough calories.

After keeping track for a couple weeks now, I find that many days I probably don't eat enough. I don't feel any effects from that though.

Obviously this is an n=1 that I will have to monitor and tweak as time goes on, but I am, without hesitation, sticking to this.