Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#406   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-18, 07:11

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

LORI- I did giggle that you reverted to calling your DH a boy now that he is queasy. Don't they all revert when they are sick. Oh dear god! Let us get sick and we are still expected to carry on. Let a man get ill like a hang nail or cold- even their voices change to something of whine.
Good luck as your ship pulls out to the open seas! How fun. I have never done a cruise, maybe someday I will. I think I would rather cruise over seas than fly. If I were going to Europe that would be the way I would want to do it. Cruise there spend a month or two- and cruise back. Definitely. That is on my bucket list.

OMG that brought back a fun memory. So when I was in New Orleans for a week I met some interesting people. This was 3 years ago- right before I got on this thread. I was there on business- all paid in the best hotels and unlimited $$ to spend on food and what not. So my 2 other co- workers lest 2 days before I did. So I had 2 extra days to myself.
Last night there I went to this crab hut on the boardwalk facing the water on the bay to watch the sun go down. It was within walking distance to my hotel! All good. So I am sitting at the bar and this gal about 33-35 sits down next to me and we strike up a conversation. She decided to take a year off of "life"- and see the world. She didn't plan stuff out. She was from some tiny country in Africa. Anyway she just landed in NO- from London. She had spent 3 months playing all over Europe. I was SPELL BOUND listening to her.
She planned to spend a few days in there and was then going to go to NYC- and to Canada from there. She said- I just go wherever I have a whim to see- I stay until I want to go somewhere else. I just can't fathom that. I ask her how it felt as a young woman to be traveling like that alone. She said it was very FREEING- NO BAGGAGE. She could come and go as she please. But then I was like don't you get lonely?
Then she said- I meet people like you everywhere I go. I have met and made friends all over the world. She said she was careful- as she she be. Fell in love in Italy- and might swing back that way. Come to find out that her parents were of promince with alot of money and both were killed in a car accident and she was their only child. Her way of grieving was to see the world. Can you picture what type of woman she might be in 10 -15 years- the stories!
She wasn't flamboyant, you would never know by looking at her that she was anything other than an ordinary 30 something lady tourist. Nothing unusual stood out until she started speaking.

I would think though she would not have be so open had I been a man. She sized me up as no threat, just a dinner companion. Such a fun evening!
Travel does that for people. It pushes us out of our routine and comfort zone to explore other people and cultures. Even here in the States- there was a culture shock to move from Ohio to Atlanta and then to SC. It is slightly different in stuff it took me a minute to get used to.

I think the move to Greenville SC was more shocking than Atlanta. It is very steeped in Southern tradition that I am not from. I also was not used to people just talking to me in public. That was something. Now I do it all the time!!!

WOW- I went off the rails with that little conversation. Give this gal some sleep and coffee- Chatty Cathy.

I am going to put 4 hours into school- then head out to a painting and wine festival in the square! That sounds like fun! I love the festivals on the square. The "square" here is huge and has shops all around it. It also has a place for bands and sitting or fun booths for vendors or both. Last weekend was the Fall fest. That was alot of fun and the band was great. I will wait until it is not so blazing hot. I know that BLUE you are getting chilly weather- We are dying under 90's still and humid. TRIG heaven!!!!!

I am getting a handle on the school expectations- I will settle into it and it will be fine!

My little BLIP- yesterday, well thankfully did not result in any bloat or weight gain. I think because it was a veggie VS wheat and gluten. However the carbs were over the top- yup!

I am getting a hankering for some chili. But waiting for the temp to drop. Chili in 90's - nope! I have not even put out anything fall or Harvest decorations. I will likely hold off and go right from summer to the Christmas tree! Like the weather!!!!

So glad- no bloat. I hate the carb hangover and glad it didn't happen.

Oh- one last thing. So when I was little my grandmother actually had the original Little Women book. It was leather bound with a green cover. I read the book a couple times and just loved it. So I am super excited that they are coming out with a modern day version of Little Women. However, I would have loved the version as depicted in the original book. I love to watch movies and TV about the times long forgotten. That generation was young and vibrant and had full lives too! Even though we are several generations forward and all that is LONG ago. People have short memories and now everything is just a soundbite or comes off Facebook. Sad. Oh well that is another post for another time!

Personals in above post!
Have a great day- Sunshine and heat TRIG- You should be in your element!
Sponsored Links
  #407   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-18, 10:03

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Blue- well honey, bless your heart. When you said "a whole weekend to worry about it" my heart just went out to you. I know full well I'd be doing the same thing, even if I tried not to. You just can't help it!

I'm sorry about your son's troubles but very glad that he has another place to live and that the other areas of his life are stable. That is a good thing. He seems like a resilient sort of chap!

Hugs hugs hugs. I know the weekend will be long but hopefully all the uncertainty will be over soon and you can focus on all the good forthcoming!

Jaz- I switched to a private room on the cruise!

Big difference between 6 and 60 for sure! Glad there was no weight bump or change- that is great!

Ack, your school readings sound hard. You will do well though. I know this about you!

Lori- Poor DH! I hope it passes quickly and leaves no residual effects.

Trig- same thing for your Mom. Hope she is feeling better and you have a good day hanging out with your brother.

Not much going on here today. Going to finish reading the book club book (due by the 9th but should finish today) and hang out. Considering catching a movie this afternoon but we'll see- depends on what the boy has on tap for himself. He doesn't have much school this week: off Monday, half day Wednesday for the PSAT, and off Friday. We will both enjoy the extra downtime. His school doesn't take much time off- I don't think they have had a day off since school started around Aug. 26th except Labor Day.

Actually got some sleep last night so I'm feeling somewhat better. Yay!
  #408   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 02:35

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good morning from the high seas!

We both had our best night's sleep since we've been here. DH'S tummy trouble passed quickly and we are feeling great today.

We are at sea all day today and will reach Spain in the morning. We have a tour scheduled, but don't remember what it is. Tickets are in the cabin... I'll check them so we know where we are to be and at what time.

Formal night in the dining room tonight so I'll try to get a photo or two to share.

This morning we have a meet and mingle event at 10:30 and then we're going to a talk about the Tower of London at 1.

Sorry for no personals, but typing a lot on the phone is difficult.

Hugs to you all!
  #409   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 06:03

BF:

Lori- On the high seas- to Spain! OMG wow how fun! Then to London! I am rather surprised it only takes a day by ship to get to Spain. Seriously- I thought it would be longer. does it feel like you are on a boat? you know rocking, moving, sea sick? Just asking. I have never been.
I can't wait to hear all about it!

NIC- HAHAHAHAH- on getting a separate room. Yup- I would spend the extra to do the same. I just think at the end of the day you will be happy you have your space!
Wow- I don't know what happened to Sept. I was reading about the kiddo and his off time from school. It just seem like we are in Fall. Most schools are off Monday as well.
What book are you reading? Sounds like you have a great week of relaxing coming your way!

Blue- Glad you are posting! I know when you are in the THICK of house transactions it seems overwhelming. It really will be over soon!
How are you and the hubby doing? You two will come out of this stronger!

TRIG- I think it's great to play at your mom's lake house. How far is she from you, drive wise? Does your brother live there too? No wonder you love the water so! Have your parents always lived on a lake?
I hear ya on fatty meat- I love it too. But of late I am making an effort to go a bit lighter. I would love to see those scales move!
---------------------------------------------------
There is something I want to say- but I am not putting it here.

I am very much on track- worked out yesterday, worked up a sweat actually. I am SO out of shape. I can't believe how out of shape I am.
It was 2-3 minutes into the work out and I was sweating like mad, and out of breath. WAKE up call there! Need to get self back into shape! It felt good though to work out. But I really thought I was in better shape.

Gotta run- will be back on in a bit. Meeting a friend for coffee this morning.
  #410   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 07:23

BF:

Lori, so glad DH is feeling better and that you both slept well! I am so excited for you! I haven't been to Spain, I don't think, and it is on my list of places to go. Eager to hear what your excursion is!

Jaz- Our book club book was Crazy Rich Asians. I had seen the movie first and thought it was just okay but I did like the book better.

Are you going to send us an email?

So, glad you are moving some and getting yourself into shape. It's likely a matter of just needing to build stamina. My DH just said the same thing about himself last week-that he was concerned about how out of breath he was becoming over things like stairs and doing pretty basic stuff outside. I know he is healthy - he gets a physical yearly and I think they even check his heart now and again as part of his insurance through his work- but even so, stamina wanes. Good on you for starting to build it up!

Things are fine here. DS16 had my "third son" over to spend the night and not a peep from them as of yet. This friend's Mom was leaving early this morning to head to NC- her Dad is going into hospice care. This poor family- the grandmother on the Dad's side just passed last month, and now the Mom is preparing to lose her father. I guess when it starts happening it can happen quickly. Dh and I have lost no parents as of yet- our kids have five living grandparents ( I count the bonus one- she has been there since Kate was born!) I am actually scared to even think about how that will be, to lose any of them.

My Dad and SM live in Austin and I guess they are toying with the idea of moving to Kansas City, MO. She used to live in MO at one time and has friends there, and they are over the heat of Austin and the amount of property that have to take care of. I would be fine with them moving out there- a new place for my to visit and explore! My brother lives in Mount Vernon, IA and that is only five hours difference so I could more easily see them both. If I am going to fly into the central midwest/heartland area at least I'd be getting my money's worth! Plus that is an area largely unexplored for me outside of major cities. Not that it is about me, of course!

Ravens game today at 1 (whoo hoo) and then DH returns some time tonight from Dallas. No school tomorrow for DS and we have a local college visit scheduled for around noon Monday. That's about it from here!
  #411   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 16:49

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Jaz---You and I are both having "homework" weekends. I got a big project from big client---writing the video for their big once a year all company meeting. Which is great, but man talk about throwing another spinning top into the juggling act. I've been writing on and off all weekend, short deadline and I need to get a good handle on it now as we are just over two weeks from moving.

It has been rainy and cold all weekend here, perfect writing weather. Don't you find w/writing that once you get started it just sucks you in? It's getting that first paragraph down that you can put off forever, but once you're in it, you're in it to finish it. I love this about long form writing. I let the "story" I'm telling form in my head for awhile, I call it "baking." Then once I sit down to start typing it's often fun, sometimes challenging, but always ultimately satisfying. What's your process?

I got some coconut milk on your rec and can't wait to try it in my coffee or iced coffee tomorrow!

Loved your story about the gal who just kept on traveling going wherever her fancy took her. Don't think I could do that, but would love to hear about it. For me, traveling is a communion of souls, sharing with someone. But I have been on business trips many a time by myself and have rarely eaten alone! Yeah, if you sit at the bar someone interesting always seems to show up.

Nic---I can't believe what you can get done when you don't feel well! LOL, was reading your post the other day and couldn't believe everything you accomplished feeling crappy.

Also, from your post about to move or not to move. Didn't realize you and hubby were even having that chat. (Realize it's about after youngest son is off to college.) But if I were your age with your kids so close by, I'd stay there as long as it's doable and affordable. So many holidays and family events to come, grand kids, the whole thing. And it's nice to have somewhere to put them all, not to mention how plain it is the joy you take from having your family around you and how mutual it is on their part.

And yeah, apartments aren't cheap either. But of course you have NO upkeep costs, and fewer bills all around. For instance, at our new place we will only pay electric. No heat, water, garbage or sewer, no property taxes, no home insurance. All that sure does add up, and why it's a good thing for us at this point in our lives. We also found a pretty spacious place at a reasonable price, and yeah, that takes some looking.

I can see you guys getting a town house some day, small yard, much less upkeep, yet still enough room for the kids and the kidlets. Interesting because I was just having this discussion w/a pal of mine about your age who is getting itchy to move. They are recent empty nesters and she wants to leave the suburbs and get back into the city. Still, in the end, she said it wasn't her time yet, until the kids have homes of their own she thinks.

I said heck to the yeah on that! As soon as someone else near by can host the big events, downsize! Because most of us are pretty sick of doing it by then. Or at least I am for the better part. But then my parents split when I was 19 and my brother and I have been doing all the family events ever since. Thankfully my SIL loves to do it and wants to have EVERYTHING at their large house. Oh man, these days, I'm all in on that!

Trig---And on the subject of staying or moving on, OMG, I got such a GREAT visual image of you on the driving mower, Pepsi and rum in hand, under your beloved NC blue skies, mowing it all down. If even THAT has you bored, yep, you're getting SO read to have a simpler life. Won't be for awhile because of kiddo, but that just gives you lots of time to dream and plan. Y'know, you can't just shut it all down one day and hit the road. As I have painfully found out.

Lori---Love, love, loving the pix. I have never taken a cruise---big seasick issues. And even though I've seen the ads for cruises I'm still pretty amazed by your floating city on the water! Can't wait to see your pix from Spain, and wonder where you're touring there. Spain is totally FAB, no matter where you land, imo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So like I said, have spent much of my weekend outlining, writing, and researching for this big project---which I am so pleased to have. Did I mention to you guys that they fired the guy who got rid of my contract? Well yeah, they did, much to my blissful schadenfreude. (Slap me five Jaz, we know that feeling don't we?)

It's not ever going to be what it was, but does seem to be freeing up some more jobs there for me. He was all about promoting the people he had hired, even though they had NO experience doing what I do. So I'm seeing a little more action there, and that's good.

And I really don't want what was, I just want the money that was. But being more away from their politics has been a healthy thing for me, and I'm really enjoying the jobs they are giving me.

Of course, there is the fact that they are soon to hire a new Mktg director, and that could end it all for good for me. The one they are looking at is young and has been at several creative hot spots in town, which means he has plenty of his own resources. Still, not resources that know this company like I do and get it done at a price they love and I'm happy with. One never knows, which is why we've fought so hard to downsize and get somewhere we can live without continual financial stress. I REALLY HATE financial stress. Had so much of it in my life time at points, haven't we all?!?!

I also have another project going for a smaller client and another one possibly coming up. Wouldn't you know it all gushes out just as we don't have a moment to spare. But I'll take 'em and I'll make it work.

Woe is still not good. Just won't be till we get out of here and settled. Half our kitchen is now packed, only necessary things left. But the good news is, it's actually making me ANTICIPATE getting back on the wagon. I have lots of thoughts about how I'm going to do that. Kind of like my writing. I'm "baking" it all as I start to see our new life will be here very soon now. After so many months of this brutal process, we're getting down to the wire.

Hoping that at last the obstacles disappear and the road ahead appears, bright and beckoning.

Last edited by Blue52 : Sun, Oct-07-18 at 16:59.
  #412   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 04:45

BF:

First LORI- You look like a princess!!!!!! Those pics- really really really stunning. I loved the boat pictures. Makes me want to explore the idea of a cruse too!!!! The thing is, I too have horrible motion sickness. I have trouble even being in a car in the back seat. I love the pic of you in the black dress- whoa girl!!!!!!!! Very nice!
I wonder if you are now in Spain- PLEASE take Europe pics!!!!! I am living vicariously in your pictures!!!!! Have fun my friend!

BLUE- LOVE your post! I too collect all the ingredients of a paper in my heard- "write it out"- in my head first and when I have a way in which it should be I SPEW it on paper. I don't correct spelling, I don't do outlines, I literally spew it all out. Then when that part id over THEN I go back and clean it up. If I get caught up in little details and grammar I lose ideas. the ideas are the most inportant. then comes the structures. It for me too goes pretty fast after that. I spent almost all day in writing. BUT - When I first get my "assignment", I look at it and walk away. I take a step back. Then I am thinking about what is being ask. Then I come back to the table and I have a different perspective. That is the way I ROLL!

YES sister on getting another BIG project. I am grinning from ear to ear that lose that dropped you got canned. YOU KNOW KARMA- it can be a bit*h. Or sometimes- you sit back and watch it correct the universe! It really does come back to bite ya in the arse if you are not kind. I have seen that over and over. It really does have a way! Have you noticed that too?

I am very happy for you! I know you have all your MOJO flowing about you. I feel it. Plus all this in the middle of a move! But you know what you have all the balls in the air- something within us kicks in and gets it done! Period!!!!!!!! GOOD FOR YOU! Any more on the house?

NIC- - I'm sorry for your "adopted" sons losing his grandfather. You are right that when we start losing parents and grandparents it goes pretty fast. I lost my grandparents pretty fast within a 5 year span- boom all gone. That entire generation. Now my eyes are looking to my mother and her husband. My ex- has lost his dad- and his mother re-married at 80. If you can believe that.

It is tough to have those discussions with your parents. But it is also a sad sorta thing. Selfishly because when one's parents are gone- then you realize that YOU are the next generation to go!!!! That is well dam scary. I have always loved older people. My friends have all typically been older. I maybe because my grandparents raised me. They were older and I loved their friends. It seemed natural.

I agree with BLUE on your house. I would wait until your kids have their own place. I give it a year or two before you have something called GRANDKIDS in the picture- family dinners. Your family will GROW not downsize just yet! Once everyone is SETTLED- then you and the hubby make that move. I see you in a gentle little ranch 3 -4 bedrooms and a small lawn in a subdivision with a pool someone else takes care of. I don't see you in a townhouse. Nope, but that is me. You and the hubby however are young enough that it would be interesting to think about city living! I have thought about it myself. That would be so fun to live in the heart of the city and not have to drive and drive to get somewhere. But that lifestyle is only for those healthy enough to walk, and move around.
I hear ya on your DH, out of breath on simple stuff.
It was SO shocking to me as well. I am only 52, and was sweating BULLETS after just 2 minutes into the cardio- and short of breath. NOT good. I want to change that. Your DH could start small by walking in short spurts during the day. "They say"- sitting all day is worse than smoking a pack a day! I TRY to get up every 50 minutes or so and just walk around the office.
Maybe he should get a FITBIT too!!!!!
They are all the rage! I know you like yours!

TRIG- - Ok, I might be losing it- but I know I read a post of yours I don't see now????? Hummmmmm- Oh well, I remember what you said.
How was your day at Mom's? How long does it take you to get there? Does the kiddo like going? You said yesterday was gray and rainy? It was HOT and SUNNY here!!!!- I want a gray and cool day. I am so over this HEAT!!!!- I don't want too COLD- just cooler. 70's would be good.
Have you had a really good Omelette lately?
--------------------------------------------------------
So Sat. I spent the day never leaving the house working, laundry, cleaning, writing, and reading. Then I settled into a NETFLIX. So Sunday rolled around and I wait for it.............. Wait for it....... Wait for it............ Went to Church. HAHAHAHAH. Sorta. So there is a mega church here (several in Atlanta), but there is one about 10 minutes from me. Anyhow these mega churches offer classes. I decided to take a Apologetics class. It is a drop in class for singles over 40+. So guess what I went. It was really really interesting. The instructor is a PhD. in history and Philosophy. Really interesting perspective. He is really smart and I enjoy his thoughts and perspective, I would have never guessed he was 75 unless he said it. He is very vibrant and really sharply dress. Love a man in French cuffs and a pressed shirt and cuff links!!!!! Wow did I just go south with that!
Ok- back to the class, the topic was "Why do bad things happen to good people?". It was interesting. I have always wondered that. Also, the class is made to see both a Christian and a World view and then you make your own conclusion. I prefer that over the emotionalism of "church". I didn't go to service. I just wanted to get out and meet some people my age in my neighbor in a non threatening environment. It was all women- that is fine. There have a bunch of classes I might be interested in.
I am also looking at "Meet-ups". I am ready to spread my wings and get to know people here.

Gotta run!
SO on plan!!!!!
  #413   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 05:23

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Nicco I so understand what you are saying about stamina. When I stop hiking for a while and start again it is like I never did it before. You gave me something to think about on stamina again. I want it all the time, not just some of the time

You had me laughing, 'their move' is not about you....haha...oh sure it is it seems the move would make visiting etc a lot more easy for you I so get it! LOL

Blue, wow, you are super duper busy. When it rains it pours. It is great work is still there and money to be made I hope it all settles out easy for you now and you guys can get moving forward sooner than later......have they set a closing date yet? One thing I could not wait for was our closing date on that land being sold LOL

Jaz, mom is about a 40 min. drive for me. Greg lives in Asheville, he just drives down and stays a few days with her during the week whenever it is convenient. Luckily for us Greg can do this and wants to, keeps mom in her home. without him doing this for her I don't know if she could truly 'live' alone. I drive up 1 time per week definitely to shop with her and visit, sometimes 2.

Girl I live on omelets LOL yes I do still eat them quite a lot.

It is smart for you to get out and about. Classes like that and more can lead you into some good situations to meet nice people. I am glad you are exploring where you live and checking into some things. Hey we live there, we might as well see what is around us and opportunities we can make from our home areas.

Lori, love love love your pics you are sending. Looking good and beautiful area!!!!

omg hubby came home. He took the bed with snoring and drove me insane. What a great week having the bed to myself...no kidding on that. I hardly slept at all. I laid there just irked to death my quiet room was no more.

no good deer, too little. he is just gonna wait and see if what he wants to hunt comes his way.

all good here
it was like 92 yesterday, whew. I want the pool but useless cause the nights dip down way cooler now, pool water would freeze me but the hot days stink without a pool. But I am feeling that cooler in the air, we will be changing sooner than later now.

a day of this and that
nothing special about today probably
hubby will be tired and useless but he has to mow the rest of the world around me, I only did front and backyard, tons more to handle and he has to mow his moms place....he best get crackin'

might mop kitchen and bathroom floors, oh whoop-tee-doo....what a fun thing right? ugh

hubby to call on camper and see if roof is replaced and when we can get it back. without it I can't go camping, now can I? suks

I got a small NY strip steak for later
I think I will do one meal today. steak and some grilled shrimp with it.
woke up with not wanting food or on my mind about eating so I might capitalize on that and eat only one time and cut kcals much as I can today.
eh, again, whatever ya know HAHA heart not in all this really. have to find some mojo somehow

great day all
  #414   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 15:41

BF:

I too enjoyed the story Jaz shared about the woman who traveled all over the world. I don't know if I could do that. I was tentatively planning a trip to the Midwest last summer, which didn't happen (yet) and a portion of that would have been alone. I was not sure how I felt about that- I was intrigued by the idea, intimidated by the idea. I could go where I wanted to, stay how long I wanted to, not constrained by someone else's wishes, but like Blue part of traveling is the sharing of experiences, discussing them, etc. Plus I honestly have NEVER just sat down and talked to someone at a bar or something. I've never been in a bar without friends and honestly, having met my DH in college, we only went to bars with our buddies in a group. I never did the whole "dating scene" thing that I guess happens in bars or whatever. So, yeah.. interesting to think about all of that - traveling alone/not alone etc.

Blue- well look at you, getting a job here and there (or two or three) coming your way! Probably a good distraction for you amidst all the move-related stuff. Two weeks!! It is almost here!

The WOE will come once you get there and get settled in. It will be a whole new start and I think you will be ready!

Re: cruises and seasickness- you know, in my experience the ships are SO BIG and SO HEAVY that there just isn't that much perceptible movement. You might feel it a bit the first day/night but other than that you don't, and on a small boat I have literally puked my guts out over the edge and get sick in the backseat of cars, so I think I am a pretty fair judge of that kind of thing. Unless for some reason the seas are really rough (and if so, they usually find a way to get around whatever the issue is) it really isn't a problem. I think you guys would be surprised.

Lori- LOVE the pictures you are sharing! What is that round ball thing on top of the ship from the pic of you looking down at the ship from the city? So glad you are having fun and GIRL you look GORGEOUS!!

Jaz, yeah I have had that thought- that once the parents go, DH and I are next in line.. and how completely WEIRD that is. I mean, I totally still feel like I am playing at this adulting thing a lot of the time. How could we possibly be next in line? lol

I think you and Blue are right about waiting. We likely will. Once we see where the kids are settling in, then we'll see. The biggest discussion has really centered more about the pool and paying for it when we won't be doing much with it, etc, but that alone won't be reason to move for a bit. DH will stay as a full time attorney until probably 65, so we are tied to this area until then and heck, that is 15 more years! Not saying we will be in this house for that much longer though! I doubt that. But we can't just up and move to another state bc he passed the Bar for MD.

Well, Jaz, you could have knocked me over with a feather with the reveal that you went to church! I sure did not see that coming! Sounds interesting. Wasn't Osteen's church was it?

Trig- does Greg live in Asheville proper or just nearby? That area is SO GORGEOUS. I could move to a place like that in a heartbeat. So many of you all are water babies and beach babies but I am a mountain and maybe a mountain/lake baby. Those are the places that feed and nourish my soul.

Hahhaha man Porkchop needs a Cpap machine. You need him to have a Cpap machine. If my DH snored like that he would either have one or else I would be in another room!

So, busy day today.. and hot! I am SO OVER THE HOT. What the HECK!! It is well into October at this point and it's freaking 85 degrees outside and humid too. Such a bummer. DS and I did his first very-own college tour today and I was SWEATING. Not like buckets or anything, but a definite "sheen." Over 12K steps today though so that's good. Looks like the temps break to the 60s on Friday. It'll be about time!

Hard to believe I'm on my last kid's college visits now. I'm so much more relaxed this time around. With my firstborn I was terrified- I knew nothing and she had a HORRIBLE college counselor at her school. I took her to SO MANY schools and just really made it stressful for both of us. With DS20 it was an experience very much driven by him and the service academies. Also very stressful but that was due to all the government-run parts of the lengthy application and interviews and senators etc. Plus he is very academically driven and focused, and his GPA and test scores blew a lot of doors open. With this kiddo, he doesn't know what he wants to do, he's very bright but not terribly driven academically-- an A/B student who doesn't really love school but goes and does okay. So we are sort of looking around in-state with a couple of out-of-states, just sort of casual-like. If he wants to ramp it up, we will, but otherwise I am fine doing it just like this.

Other than that, things are just kind of grooving along this week. Tomorrow the cleaning crew comes, I have an XC meeting in the afternoon and a Book Club meeting at night. Wednesday is only a half day for DS16 bc he is taking the PSAT, but then he has an afternoon XC meet. Friday he has the day off again, and maybe we'll do a different college and maybe not.
  #415   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 03:51

BF:

is it REALLY 530 already.....urghhhhhhhhh. I am a must need 8 hours of sleep gal!!!!! To sleep late and up to early. I can't call in I have a meeting today and tomorrow. I actually took this coming Friday and Monday off. Part of my just take some time off here and there. Nothing planned.
I actually called my daughter to see if I could pick up the kiddo- no! not enough advanced notice???? WTF???????? - oh well- I will just work on school.

We got a hurricane coming - you too TRIG!!!!! coming your way! it's supposed to be a fast one!

I will be back for personals- I feel icky. Something I ate???? just not myself- urghhhh- be back-
  #416   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 05:33

BF:

Sorry you aren't feeling too well today, Jaz. Hopefully it will pass once you wake up and get going. Nice that you have a couple of days off coming up.

Surpiring about your DGS already being booked this weekend? Man, I would have JUMPED at the chance when my kids were little if someone had offered to take them!! What is he going to be doing?

Sort of a busy day today. Cleaning crew coming at 9:30 so I will clear out to run a couple of errands. Then XC meeting at 2:15-3:15, then Book Club tonight at 7:30. I'm dreading this a little bit.. I was invited to many things by this one person and I finally said yes to this bc I am more a few people/small group person and I thought once a month, same small group, books.. I can probably handle that. But today is my first time and I really don't like meeting new people that much so I'm feeling a bit anxious over it. I know me though. It will build today, I will be in misery by tonight, I will go and do fine and have a nice time. That's the thing. I can't give in to those feelings or I will start a pattern that isn't a good one!

Warm, gray, wet today. Three more days of warm and then we hit the low 60s and even upper 50s for highs. Apparently we get no 70 degree days this Fall. Grrr!
  #417   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 05:40

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Lori your pics are out of this world fun to see

Nicco it is harder to see a kid checking out colleges but they are not sure what they want to be in the end career wise. I love having a kid go 'to be something' ya know LOL I hope my kid finds her calling, so far she is now wanting to be an Art Teacher. Would suit her maybe but she is so young things could change instantly HAHA

Greg lives in Biltmore Estates in Asheville. Postage size yard. He built new when it opened. Houses on top of each other but a lot of times he can't use his backyard. The bear sits and looks in his sliding glass doors and everyone just watches that bugger back. Cops don't even do bear calls anymore. You just have to be careful when out and about. You love those mountains do ya Heehee…..

Jaz---HUH WHAT? Hurricane coming, well heck I got to go check that. Last I saw was the gulf getting hit but never saw one coming this way?? will check weather channel LOL We got cloudy rainy thing happening here but still muggy hot! Sorry you feel icky...hope you get better fast.

HI ALL

kinda do nothing day.
kid says she needs yellow headband to be some ninja character for tomorrow at school on character day. WTH? ya tell me this morning...ugh...off to walmart I guess. if no yellow headband then to the fabric section and cut a slice of some material and pin it to her head HAHA

walmart, shoot me ya know!! for one darn thing...omg

eating 1.5lbs of crab legs later in the day. going to try to make it my one meal. alot of butter, we shall see how south that goes for me HAHA I don't care. I love it.

weather icky and is making me tired, blah and bleck.

I need to be on that sunny nice cruise with Lori

great day all
  #418   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 08:54

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Hello from Portugal!

We had a fun tour on an amphibious vehicle. Drove around the city and then into the river. Our guide was a lot of fun.

I'll email a picture of a beautiful fountain on the grounds of a monastery we visited. We didn't go in...just walked around the lovely grounds.

As for those balls on the ship... Have no idea, but they all seem to have them. There are 2 other ships in Port here today and they have them too.

Not a cloud in the sky... Beautiful. In the mid 70's I would say.

Bye for now!
  #419   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 11:23

BF:

Gosh Lori you are having lovely weather, you lucky dog!! Are those normal temps for that time of year?
I hadn't seen this post when I looked at the email.. so that is a monastery? So beautiful and it looks pretty darn posh!

Trig- ahahahaaha pin that sucker right to her head! I swear Moms of single kids are much nicer. I would have been like, tough sh!! to my youngest at that request. Of course now that he is driving he could have just dealt with it himself.

Really? A bear just comes and hangs out at the slider, even in such a developed area? That is really something!!! But yeah. I would still live there, definitely. But I would balk at houses and yards super close together. That being said, you have a gajillion acres so I don't know if I trust that assessment! We are on a half acre but back to trees and have a good amount of privacy. Those newer neighborhoods (what we moved FROM) that have houses every which way, all stacked in, with flag lots etc and NO ONE having privacy.. that I won't do!

Do any of you guys have a Food Vac? I got one around last Dec/Jan after wondering about getting one for quite some time. I tell ya, that thing is great. I just packed up a 10 pound bag of chicken wings into 4 parts and vac sealed them all, and into the freezer they went. I also bought a big thing of ribs the other day from Costco and sealed that into two bags of 1.5 racks each. There's pork chops sealed 3 to a bag, porterhouse steaks at 1 per bag, chicken thighs at 5 per bag.. and they keep SO WELL. Our freezer thinga-ma-jobbie tripped and I didn't discover it for a couple of days- things were cold but thawed. I reset it and figured I'd see what happened. Well, there was not ONE BIT of freezer burn on ANYTHING and nothing spoiled. Any other way of storing it that stuff would have been a mess. Anyway, it has been so worth it. I got it from Costco and bought the bags on bulk rolls for cheap.
  #420   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 16:35

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Things are getting real around here. Still don't know about appraisers report but with just 2 weeks till closing we have no choice but to press on. And that means a hundred details. Setting up move, setting up lease date, change of address and very important to me, change of voter registration---although lucky for us here in MN. we have same day registration if it comes down to that. But God willing, we will be moved in before the mid terms, and no freaking way am I missing this vote!

Then there's permits to be closed,---contractors often fail to do this and you have no idea they didn't till it's time to sell---and every utility and automatic payment to be notified. Final stage, and our list is STILL long. I have only mentioned a few of the endless things that must be done, including packing, although we're well on our way with that.

In addition, I have been very busy with work projects, which I am so thankful for. But you can never let a client know there's anything more important than them, so it requires serious juggling, seems every minute of the day right now.

So sorry for lack of personals, but I am reading along and keeping up and wishing I had more time and energy to answer to so many things y'all write.

As these days pass, I may be here less and less till the move and the immediate days after. OTOH, I may pop up at any time with one of my "make it stop" posts.

One thing's for sure, any day I can be here I will be here. Just don't want anyone to worry in the meantime.

So much going on, so much more I want to say. But will just say this, it's short and it's the most important thing: Love y'all and can't wait till my new normal emerges and I can be here for y'all and for something in my life besides real estate! Like say, my woe. Oh yeah.
Closed Thread