Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-09, 11:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Lordy, it's a ghost town in here!

No PPers any longer? If you're here, please come out and play!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-09, 18:55

Stats: 156/118/120 Female 65 inches
BF:36%/22%/18%
Progress: 106%

Okay, there are at least 2 of us! I just haven't been spending much time online the last 2 weeks.

That said, I finally bought a new scale this week, to replace my broken one. I was shocked to find out that I had hit my goal! I love Protein Power!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-09, 09:02
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Um, hi there! <echo, echo, echo>

I'm still a big believer in PPLP and always will be, but I've been tweaking my approach per Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint (which is highly compatible and even recommended by the Eadeses).

Congrats on hitting your goal, Corsair915!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 13:35

Hey, as long as it's a bit quiet in here, I thought I'd mention another thread I've been following, in which Dr. Michael Eades's work has been mentioned regarding the calorie burning, etc. This thread is going hot and heavy, and (of course) Dr. Eades is helping many of the followers of this thread to understand thermodynamics as it works with the body and an LC diet.

Here's the thread:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...58&page=3&pp=15

Here's the Eades article:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...nd-weight-loss/

What do you think?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-09, 05:01

Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

I am not here very often these days either--I building up the database for a writer's group board. But there's lots of daily interactions with other follks doing PP on the Eades' official boards.

Last edited by Gaelen : Tue, Aug-04-09 at 05:03. Reason: typo
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-09, 14:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214.8/216.3/155 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: -3%

Hi there..I'm new to PP..and have read the 30 day lc solution and bought and am reading the PPlifeplan..I'm very excited about this plan. I did Atkins almost 5 years ago and got great results, but have not been able to stick to it this time around.. maybe too strict on amount of carbs..where with this one, I'm still focusing on GOOD carbs, but can have a more reasonable amount..I'll be reading the posts..I'm sure you'll be getting some questions from me..
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-09, 21:24

Dear Robston: Glad to have you with us! PPLP has been even better than the original PP in my opinion. The book is fabulous and I could hardly put it down. Looking forward to sharing your excitement and success, and I'm sure we'll all be happy to help you with your questions.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-09, 07:13

Plan: no/low carb
Stats: 197.5/189/164 Male 6'1"
BF:19/18/12
Progress: 25%

I'm still here, just been busy. Changed jobs, moved cities, etc. Only have internet at work, and can't be surfing forums all day...at least not the first week haha. Just about settled in, still have to order internet for at home.

Matt
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 09:25
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Corsair915, I'm very excited as well..I am officially starting today..any tips or tricks for the first few weeks you want to pass along? Things to keep you motivated?
I do already have some questions?
In the 30 day solution and the lifeplan book, they talk about being able to eat grains (if your a hedonist) within your allowed limits..even in Intervention..I know this is a different group of people, and a different approach..but that seems to go so against what I was used to with Atkins..meaning getting those first 2 weeks under your belt and purging your body of all grains..
What is your thought on this..(or anyone else's..especially based on experience)..I'm trying to deterine that if I start this, and immediatly allow myself to have low carb tortilla's..or any of the "imposter" ingridients they use in the comfort food cookbook, and the RX cookbook, will I still lose weight?
Plus I do love my wine..so I will be having my wine.

This is all of course with the knowledge and understanding of staying within your allotted carb grams for the day.

That brings me to my 2nd question..they say to NEVER go over your allotted carb grams per day OR per meal..it seems to me that there will be times that I may be eating minimal carbs during the day..(having ham and swiss roll ups, and fruit for breakfast, and pot roast and a veggie for lunch...)that I will be way below the >40 per day..and there may be times (especially on a friday night or weekend), that I would like to use some of those not used per meal to have a more carb laden meal (more than the 10 grams allowed).. that day..Thoughts, experience on this??
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-09, 13:24

Dear Robston,

If I understand correctly the science that the Eadses have used as the basis for PPLP, it is important to limit carb allotments on a per-meal basis as well as for the total day because this minimizes any fluctuations in blood sugar that could cause an insulin spike. The goal is to avoid an intake of sugar that could cause a rapid rise in insulin levels. You are training your body to use ketones consistently and efficiently, as well as increasing your insulin resistance over time. Especially during induction, I wouldn't vary from those limits.

That said, I was only about 7-10 days into induction when it was my 15th wedding anniversary, and I was able to go out and have a fabulous dinner (including my wine, which Atkins does not allow) while staying within my limits and not feeling deprived. (I defy anyone to feel sorry for themselves when surf-n-turf is in front of them!)

After a minimum of about 4 weeks of induction, you may be able to get away with "saving up your carbs" for a meal. I try not to do it and I don't recommend it, but I've done it occasionally and it certainly didn't cause any noticeable negative effects at that point.

I also wound up doing much better and making progress much faster after eliminating grains. Now that I have reached goal, I occasionally will have a low-carb tortilla or perhaps a half cup of rice, maybe once a week. I have noticed that I do feel much better without the grain products in my diet. If I eat any type of starch at all I prefer rice because it is far more digestible than wheat, corn, or beans. I had not done this in previous low carb eating cycles, and I noticed that it made an enormous difference this time around. I like my wine too, so I'll never be able to go completely Paleo in the truest sense, but following the PPLP eating plan closer to the Paleo side is more effective.

Above all, be honest with yourself about what you can and cannot handle at once. Just going low-carb in any manner, as long as it is consistent, will allow you to reap enormous health benefits. It may be easier to get through the first week or two of induction and the general adjustment to making low-carb choices if you allow yourself the low-carb bread or tortillas. You can decide later if you want to try and phase them out to see if you feel physically better. Obviously, you can be a very healthy hedonist!

The Eadses recognize this and have done an enormous amount of work and research that I truly believe you can trust (I'm also an MD and have studied the science pretty extensively). If you stick with their plan, it will work for you. But you do need to stick to it the way they've outlined it, especially during induction when you are repairing your ailing metabolism.

I hope this helps and I'm looking forward to hearing about your future progress. Good luck - you can do it!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 09:27
Registered Member

Plan: PPL Hedonist
Stats: 163/138.5/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

I came back to PPl a bit over a month ago. I use Carbquik, Dreamfields, and a number of other low carb products. So far so good.
I chose Hedonist, because it seemed to me that it was the one I'd be most apt to follow long term.
Not sure about the ketone issue. I don't remember reading about it in any of their books, but maybe I just don't remember. I am getting along in age and not all the brain cells are firing
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-09, 14:25
Registered Member

BF:

Corsair915..thanks so much for th input..sorry I havent been around..we just got done buying a new house, painting and moving..so the last month and a half have been STRESSFUL..so I was totally not on plan at all.
Started today..I'm going to keep in mind your advice..and my new house..we have trails about a half a block away..and my husband and I took the dog last night and walked a mile and a half. It was beautiful..and has totally motivated me to really get with it.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-23-09, 18:25

Yes our weather here in the Pacific NW has been gorgeous, hasn't it? Well, good luck and stick with it! I haven't checked in much myself because of work, and I need to. On Saturday I was almost accosted by a plate of french fries! :-)
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-24-09, 09:22
Registered Member

BF:

Oh no..not the fries!!! :-)

Well, so far so good, have been back on plan since Mon (today is Thurs) and so far I have lost 2.5lbs..I know some will say it water weight etc..but I dont care. I'm excited for any results and any weight loss is a subtraction from my total #..so that works for me..how are the rest of you doing?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-24-09, 09:24
Registered Member

BF:

Oh and yes, our Pacific NW weather is beautiful..mostly..I cant believe the summer is already (technically) over..but just yesterday we broke a record for having so many days over a period of time with 90+ degree days..

Corsair..your in Seattle, I'm in Portland. I used to live in Seattle when I was younger (actually lived there a couple of diff times when I was younger)..moved away when I was 19..my first place on my own was in Seattle..those were gooooooodd times..