Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-01, 10:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/190/165
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Pine Nut and Parsley Salad

Auto generated link to page (Please do not remove): http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe008.html

WTG!!! Karen!!!

OMG!!! This was SO good, I ate half the salad!!! Thanks for providing an alternative to the cracked wheat normally found in what we call over here, Tabouleh. I normally just make it without the bulgar, but with everything else. The pine nuts give such a great taste. I love the cinnamon twist, too.

I do have a question, tho: Is allspice the same as a four-spice powder? I don't know the exact ingredients, but I think it's something like cinn, nutmeg, cloves and maybe anise? I threw away the package and I only labelled the jar as "4-spice", silly me!

I can't wait to try this salad with feta cheese (didn't have any when I made this), I'm sure it's heavenly!!

Thanks again and keep the recipes coming!!

Lorrie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 01:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

You're welcome Lorrie! Middle-Eastern food was my first love and lots of the food is adaptable to LC. Even baba ganouj is OK. You can replace half of the tahini with sour cream if you find the carbs in tahini too high.

Allspice is an individual spice, somewhat like cloves. The four spice mix sounds very good as a replacement.

Have you ever seen the spice mix called kibbeh spice? It has all kinds of stuff - cumin, allspice, oregano, rose petals and a bunch of other stuff. I's just great ground up and used as a marinade on lamb. Gotta get some the next time I'm in Ottawa. It's a bit harder to find these ingredients on the West Coast.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 08:09

BF:
Default kibbeh spice

Hi Karen -

I love baba ganouj or what we in the Gulf (Arabian) call mtebble. I take an eggplant and cook it either over the bbq or in the oven for about 20 mins or until soft. Then, I de-seed it, (which doesn't leave much eggplant left, so I usually use two or three HUGE eggplants), then I mash up the pulp, add some smashed garlic, salt and voila!! YUMMY!!! I LOVE it!!!

Have you tried one of those Asian Supermarkets? You might even try asking at a Middle Eastern restaurant where they get their spices (they might even let you have some of theirs, lol). Talking about kibbeh spice is making my mouth water for kibbeh. There is a place here that makes DIVINE kibbeh, but I only eat that on occasion. Hey, is there a low-carb alternative to kibbeh? A new experiment, maybe? I'll be the first one to taste test, heehee!!!

Take care,

Lorrie

Last edited by wadimom : Mon, Sep-17-01 at 21:07.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 18:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Talking ok, that does it

Now I MUST know what "kibbeh" is... is there a recipe on the go out there, a rough list of ingredients?

By the way, Karen, there's a small Middle-Eastern market over here I've been meaning to research... I'll try and remember to keep an eye out for "kibbeh spice" mix. Sounds DELIGHTFUL.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 21:14

BF:
Default Re: ok, that does it

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandGirl
Now I MUST know what "kibbeh" is... is there a recipe on the go out there, a rough list of ingredients?

Hi there-

MMmmmm..... kibbeh is a wonderful Middle Eastern appetizer (?). They're shaped like small American footballs made out of I think it's bulgar (cracked wheat, soaked ) and in the middle is a spiced meat mixture with pine nuts or just spiced nuts - almonds, pine nuts, pistachios. Then it's all deep fried to a dark brown. Delish!

An Iranian family I know also make a kibbeh variation using rice instead of bulgar.......those are really good, too. Needless to say, when low-carbing these treats are a BIG NO,NO,NO But it would be something to plan and look forward to.

So, you see, that's why I asked Karen for an alternative, LOL. I miss them!!!

Lorrie
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 01:08
Registered Member

Wink hmmmmmmmmm

Lorrie, the possibilities are indeed intriguing... I just had a vision of a spiced meat mixture (football?!), wrapped in a coarse ground nut paste, then fried or baked at very high heat... or maybe the other way around (like a Scotch Egg) with the spiced nuts inside and the ground meat around the outside.

Karen's got the way cool deep fryers, so I'll just lurk here and let her go to it...

PS: hope things are staying reasonably calm over there for you.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 01:56
Forum Founder

BF:

The bulgar is used as a binder and also prevents the mixture srom shrinking, so pork rinds and some egg- or just pounding or processing the mixture until pasty - would probably help hold it together. You can also make a pressed-in-the-pan baked version that's pretty good to.

My favourite is the raw kibbeh, kibbeh nayeh in Lebanese. Although bulgar adds a special texture, it would be fine without. I've had it with melted butter drizzled on top and whole green onions and radishes on the side for scooping. I think I'll have to make some soon!

Lorrie, I could probably find kibbeh spice here, but it seems more special picking it up in Ottawa. That's where I learned to love Middle-Eastern food.

I do the same thing when I make baba. I let the eggplants drain for quite a while, then scoop out the seeds. Before LC, I would peel chickpeas for hummous. People thought I was insane until they tried it. Like silk in the mouth.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 10:02
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile peeling chickpeas

... isn't as fussy as it sounds because they POP right out of their skins quite readily. It's like blanching almonds.

Now you've gone and set off a craving for hummus ... which is a double-whammy, since hummus cries out for pita or toasted lavash to dunk in it.

Once upon a time, I made "lowcarb" hummus, using frozen-then-thawed-and-drained TOFU instead of the chickpeas. It was very, very close to the real thing in both taste and texture ... but I confess the amount of GARLIC I put in it probably raised the carb count significantly.

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 10:09
Forum Founder

BF:

Cool idea! I'm thinking extra-firm smooth would work very well.

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 16:01
Registered Member

Well, I had a FIELD day in the Middle Eastern store on my lunchtime "walk"...

$XX later (oh yeah baby) I've got a basketful of useful goodies, heavy on the seasonings but lightened with some Ceylon Cardamom tea (bags, I know, but useful for the office), Labneh and Mint Water. Yum.

Now, that Kibbeh seasoning, would it be used for mutifarous purposes?? I've got an interesting packet of "Yogurt Dip Mix Seasoning" (and I'm lucky there's some English on it!), containing "mint, basil, onions, tarragon, garlic, black pepper, rose buds and other spices". The rose buds particularly caught my eye (and the lack of fenugreek, for which I have not yet developed a taste).

What about an interesting mixture of ground nuts (almonds, pignons) coating a seasoned "meatball" of lamb? Would that make some kind of kibbeh-a-like as well as the pork rinds? I see I'm going to have to do more recipe research to get a mental "taste" of what we're talking about here.

BTW, that tofu hummous sure sounds yummy to me, piled on a radish slice!