Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-08, 03:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%
Default Elle's Magic Sauce scores again!

Elle, I don't know if you'll see this...but I wanted to let you know that I used a variation of your 'magic sauce' in one of my NYS fair entries last week, and won first place (and earned my first 100 score out of 100 points in over 20 years of state fair culinary entries....)

For those of you who've never used/tried it, Elle's Magic Sauce is a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of mayonnaise to mustard, to which you can freely add in your favorite seasonings, fresh herbs, and other liquids. I usually mix in a couple of tablespoons of basil or dill or thyme, salt/pepper and a tablespoon of lemon juice. In the winter, I use dried herbs and lemon juice. It also works great as a side sauce for wings using chili powder instead of herbs and hot sauce instead of lemon juice. It really is a 'magic' sauce! Once combined, this makes a great dip, and a wonderful zero-to-low carb 'sauce' for things like chicken, pork, seafood, vegetables, etc.

The particular variation that won was 2:1 mayonnaise to dijon mustard, with a tablespoon of milk, and a package of dry Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing and Seasoning Mix. I used 2 teaspoons of the dry seasoning mix and extra virgin olive oil to saute garden veggies (zucchini, green beans, a red pepper and half a red onion), and then mixed the balance of the seasoning packet--about 5-6 teaspoons--with the mayo mixture to provide a sauce for fish fillets. The seasoning packet variation does add some carbs, although if you use fresh or dried herbs and your own salt/pepper/garlic powder, you can reduce that to only 2-3 carbs for the whole recipe.

You can use just about any fish/seafood you like, or poultry or pork, or even slices of that eggplant or zucchini that got away from you in the garden for a vegetarian entree. Saute the veggies for about five minutes to let them carmelize and soften, and then lay the fish fillets over the vegetables, sauce them and cover the skillet for 10 minutes on medium heat until the fish and veggies are cooked through. The sauce goes down into the veggies and the fish cooks perfectly. If you have sliced veggies on hand, this is a 15-minute recipe.

Cheese is also good shredded on top, and if you want it to be golden browned on top, finish it under the broiler for a minute or two (I am usually too lazy for that step!)

Anyway, Elle...just wanted to let you know that your Magic Sauce is still one of my favorites...and however I vary it, it still reminds me of the first time you posted the recipe on the PP forum.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-08, 21:22
Registered Member

Plan: PP (ish)
Stats: 169/145/142 Female 57"
BF:
Progress: 89%

That recipe sounds devine! Congrats on your First Place!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-08, 22:43

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

I've been looking to try a new fish recipe; this sounds good!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-08, 23:32

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

I just tried this as a dipping sauce with supermarket roast chicken and roasted lemon asparagus! I used:

3 T mayo
1 T pesto sauce
1 tsp mustard

and that's it! It was good.