Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 06:59

Plan: Atkins, CAD, Atkins
Stats: 160/136.5/125
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Weekly Support 01.20.03-01.27.03

Greetings all! This morning was a 1 pound gain. Thank goodness I average. I'm still feeling pretty good about not ballooning on the trip, so I'm optimistic that this has something to do with the saltiness of dinner or something.

I might go back to not eating the second CM again, as I was doing before I left. I really jump started my loss that way and since I kind of played havoc on the diet last week maybe that will get me regulated with it again.

How is everyone else doing?

Joanie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 08:47

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%

Thanks, Joanie, for starting the new thread. I think you did great on your trip!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 09:58
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 191/188/160
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi! Well, I'm up 2 lbs aagin this mroning, so it is time to really take a look at what I am eating.

I will post daily in the CAD menu site.
I will check my menu with fitday daily.
I will exercise.
I will eat my RM wihtin the hour allotted and NOT stop and start.
I will balance my RM.
I have ordered and will read CALP. (currently have only read CAD)
I wll try and choose lower fat alternatives.

Have a good week.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 16:31

Plan: herbalife
Stats: 157/130/130 Female 61inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default loss 1 lb past week

I know I could have done better the past week , so this
week I'll not use so many packets of splenda, I would not
have that extra piece of dessert without balancing out the rest
of my rm, I also would stick to my exercises, and not miss
out so many days and I will drink at least eight glasses of water
a day. And I know I would see a better weight loss this week If
I do all the above.

Lana
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 00:39

Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

RagedyAnn,

Why would one want to choose the lower fat alternatives? I could see taking out foods for cholesterol's sake and such, but just do not understand why one would lower the fat?

Lol, without the fat I doubt I could go as long without eating as I do. I've noticed on the meals I skimp out on the fat and protein, I am hungry about 4 hours afterwards (normal, but with the fat and protein it is more along the lines of 7-10hours before I actual feel hunger).

But hey, if you do, for whatever reason compels you to skimp out the fat, watch the ingredients carefully.

I would guess 90+% of anything low fat has added sugar (usually quite a bit, at that!) for taste. Surprising, huh? No wonder why America is so fat!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 06:56

BF:

So true, Cassie. One can only cut the fat about so much and the hunger returns.

I was up a lb yesterday afternoon(my weigh in time before RM). I'm kind of bummed, but it's a new day today!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 08:34
Registered Member

Stats: 191/188/160
BF:
Progress: 10%

I don't know about this low fat thing - I am confused about how the book states "or lower fat substitute" etc. I thought if I used light cheeses or less butter, it would help lower calories, but after some research yesterday, I'm where I need to be anyway, I think.
I just used Fitday and here are the results for my planned menu today:
2100 cals
62% fat
10% carbs
28% protein

I think most of the calories come from salad dressings/mayo. Is this okay???

So none of you bother with that? It would be nice to not worry about that side of things...

Another thing...broccoli & onions...I know the CAD book says no, but Atkins does include it as acceptable. I have tried it and no cravings, so can I keep it in my diet?

Last edited by RagedyAnna : Tue, Jan-21-03 at 08:58.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 10:25

Plan: CALP
Stats: 149/142.5/100 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default The Battle Continues

My weight is up, too. 132 for the last 2 days.

I did rediscover that dairy of any kind, in any form, from any animal causes me to gain weight. As does chicken, even if I don't eat a lot of chicken.

I need to quit whining about it and get over it! It's almost like the whining will allow me to cheat, or make it ok to cheat or something. Is it the old, "here eat this, it'll make you feel better" thing? If it's medicinal then it's ok to eat it. Whatever makes you "feel better" is medicinal. Sounds like a snake oil ad.

Hope the pondering is ok.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 11:21

BF:

token,

Sorry about the gain... But one way I like to look at it, is this is winter, the time when everyone gains 10-15lbs... Even if you gain 2 or 3 over the ENTIRE winter season, that is exceptional. Now if this was like May and that pound was still there, than I'd probably start feeling unmotivated.....

RagedyAnna,

Nope, I do not worry about fat at all. That thought has been completely shoved out of my head. There are some things I still dont eat, purely because I just don't like them (like red meat, etc) but other than that, fat is a good thing for me.

Broccoli is a starchier veggie, and that is why CAD keeps it out. It may not bring the hunger out, but it is putting your insulin level higher than if you were to leave it out. The lower you keep your levels, the more effective the diet is (and the easier the RM is). You can have onions, but in moderation. I think it is around 2 tbs of onions. I dunno on the exact number, but some is ok.

BASpider,

That is odd.... chicken makes you gain weight. Never heard of that before. Well, at least you figured out whats making you gain.

The message above applies as well. ALthough there is no excuses, winter is a time that alot of people's bodies hold onto the fat. I guess its cause we're human? Lol.... Stress can also make you gain a bit, so reeellllaaaxxxxx.......
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 11:55

BF:

I don't worry much about the fat either. I have cut back on mayo cause I was eating that like it was going out of style for months and realized I really don't need it! But otherwise, I don't pay a lot of attention to it. That's one nice thing about this WOE.

I got in 2/3s of my walk at lunch today before it got to raining too much to stay out in it.

That really is weird about the chicken making you gain weight, BA. I love chicken and would be devastated if it bothered me like that.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 12:12

BF:

Maybe it's because I'm close to 10 from goal, but I do worry about fat and calorie intake. I don't obssess about it or keep track closely, but I do choose lower fat when the opportunity presents itself (except when the carbs are significantly higher, which they often are) and I do remove the skin from my chicken and trim my meat. I know it's a fact that to maintain a certain weight you require a certain basal caloric intake. What I could eat at 160 and still maintain is not the same as what I can eat at 130. My basal caloric rate (what I will burn just existing at this weight based on my lifestyle and activity) is 1350 -- that's just to stay where I am and not change anything. I'm not sedentary either, but since I'm not planning on upping my exercise significantly I watch what I eat.

Joanie
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 13:01

BF:

Joanie,

I keep my caloric intake at bay, as well. However, since fat keeps me full, if I cut down on it, I'd probably be consuming more food, more often. Soooo, I figure if I have what I need to keep me through the day, it is a good balance.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 13:04

BF:

Yeah, makes sense. Honestly, I think just the fact that we eat so little sugar compared to lowfatters keeps us calorically safer. And it is true that the fat satisfies.

J
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 13:09

BF:

Oh and by the way.. when I was in my low fat phase (during which time I lost 8 pounds in a little over a year and felt starved most of the time) I used to eat a package of twizzlers (low fat!) every single day after lunch. Until I started low carbing it never occurred to me that those twizzlers were the cause of my mid-afternoon drowsiness, and my late afternoon binging, not to mention blood sugar swings!

J
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 05:23

BF:

I sure did miss this site yesterday! I may not be addicted to sugar/carbs now, but I've become addicted to this site! lol

I had a good day yesterday and even got back to 161! I'm not sure how long it will stay there before my body realizes what's happened, but I'll enjoy it in the meantime.

We have some bad weather here today... lots of snow and dangerous roads... airport almost totally closed and it's starting to get windy, which will only add to the mess. We were only prepared for 1-3" but there is about twice that much and it's still falling. I grew up in New York State where they can handle it, but in the Carolina's, they just don't have the equipment because we rarely get this kind of weather. So, I may be homebound today, but I know I can find lots to do to keep myself busy.