Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 16:14

Plan: IF/VLC
Stats: 258/219/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default What time of day do you take supplements?

It seems most people take their supplements with meals, as part of habit or for optimal absorption, but it occurred to me today - after stuffing myself with water and peeing to the point where my urine has no color - would it be better to take vitamins and supplements with dinner, closer to bedtime, so that you don't piss them all away?

Or, does it not matter?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 16:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/175 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I take mine at bedtime for that reason.....
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 17:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Me too; partially because some of them can upset my stomach, and taking them at bedtime short circuits that.

Also, an excellent investment is those daily pill boxes; I'm not opening seven or eight jars every bedtime.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 18:52

Plan: Atkins/Hhcg
Stats: 155/115/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 133%

I take a butt load of vitamins and supplements and there are some that I take with food and others not. Not only do I take a thyroid pill (has to be on an empty stomach, an hour before breakfast); I have adrenal fatigue as well as blood sugar issues. It is a wonder that I can remember to take them all!! LOL. I am following a plan by Julia Ross, I have her book "The Diet Cure" and in it she has a supplement regime. I am following her supplements for craving?stress busting and they are currently working. I take the aminos listed and they are to be taken on an empty stomach. What a pain in the butt, but if they allow me to not snack or binge on chocolate throughout the day then that is good by me!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 20:28
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I always take mine at bedtime as well.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 20:59

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Morning after breakfast
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-11, 13:16

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

I've read and discussed quite a bit about supplementation, and I have never heard or read that peeing frequently would have any effect on absorption.
Since I've had weight loss surgery, I actually take vitamins/minerals 4 times a day. If you're concerned about absorption, be sure you're informed about what things shouldn't be taken together (for example, iron and calcium don't play nice, and you won't absorb much, if any, of the iron if you take them together).

Whether you take your supplements with food or not depends on what you're taking. Some suplements (like calcium carbonate) are absorbed well in an acidic environment, so taking them with food is better because eating causes additional stomach acid to be released (if you take calcium citrate, you can take it at any time).
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-11, 13:20
Registered Member

Stats: 283/188.8/155 Female 5'2"
BF:44%/27%/20%
Progress: 74%

I take my vitamins and fiber supplement before bedtime. Partly because I like how they taste and its my little "before bed treat". But also because I take synthroid in the morning and that way I don't need to worry about the vitamins/fiber reacting strangely with the synthroid.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-11, 13:22

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

If you take magnesium as a supplement - and most of us need to these days, for various reasons - then, unless it is Mg chloride, you should actually NOT take this with a meal, but away from meals.

Magnesium will make your stomach acid more alkaline and thus make you digest your food less efficiently.

However, other supplements are often best taken with food. I find it also helps to read what it says on the pill bottle!

Although, that said, I have seen the recommendation that magnesium should be taken with food, so perhaps that isn't always such a good idea!!!

But, as a last resort, one could of course do so.

amanda
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-11, 13:26

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

I takd mine in the morning. Probably because I imagine that they'd give me an ultra energy boost in the morning.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-11, 13:56

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Like most dietary choices, this is a very individual thing. As others have mentioned, the type of supplement may have its own requirements. If you take large doses, or a number of different supps, it's hard to down them all at once!

I take my thyroid pill first thing when I get up. Other supps are divided morning and evening, eg. one calcium morning, another evening.