Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 19:49
Registered Member

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 206.5/190/170
BF:not sure
Progress: 45%
Exclamation Recipes - Desserts/Treats

Please post Dessert/Treat recipes here.

When posting your recipe, please include the level, category and how many it will serve.

Ex: Level One
Pro/Fat
Serves 6
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 13:56

Stats: 167/147/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default Ice Cream (vanilla, banana, mint-chocolate)

This makes wonderfully smooth, very flavourful ice cream.

Level One
Pro/Fat
Makes ~8 half cup servings.

2 1/2 C cream
1/2 C sugarfree vanilla syrup
2/3 C fructose (do NOT use Splenda or it will harden like a rock)
2 tbsp vanilla extract
3 eggs (or use Egg Beater equiv. to avoid using raw eggs)

*for banana ice cream, use only 1/2 tbsp vanilla, and add 1 1/2 tbsp banana extract
*for mint-chocolate, use only 1/2 tbsp vanilla, and add 1 1/2 tbsp peppermint extract, and some small chunks of your favorite SF chocolate. You can also add a few drops of green food coloring if you want it to look like real mint ice cream.

I just mix it all in a bowl and put it in my ice cream maker. If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can apparently make ice cream using Ziploc bags and ice. I've never tried it, but several people say it works quite well. My ice cream maker takes about 20 minutes so I'm not sure the 5 minutes shown below will be quite enough but give it a try and just keep shaking until it thickens to ice cream. It may need to be frozen for a couple of hours in a container afterwards to harden more. Otherwise it's fairly soft ice cream. Even with my ice cream maker I do that.

Ziploc Ice Cream:
1. Add above ingredients to a small ziploc bag (might only fit half at at time).
2. Close and place small bag in a gallon size ziplock. Then fill the large bag with ice cubes and approx 12 tbls of salt (I just dump a bunch in) (so surrounding the small bag with the ice cream ingredients).
3. Close large bag and begin to shake/turn bag for 5 minutes. Ta Da - ice cream!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 14:01

BF:
Default Baked Apples

This takes only a few minutes and is sort of like apple crumble without the crumble. The pieces come out hot and in a sweet, gooey sauce created from their own juices. I've had this for breakfast or dessert.

Level One
Fruit (eat alone)
Serves 1

1 apple, cored and diced (I used Granny Smith)
1 tbsp Splenda
1/4 tsp cinnamon,
1/8 tsp ginger,
1/8 tsp nutmeg,
dash of cardomon (if you have it, tastes fine if you don't)

Directions:

Combine everything in a microwave-safe bowl.
Cover with plastic wrap or lid and microwave for 3 minutes on high. It will be very hot when it comes out, so be careful. Enjoy.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 14:09

BF:
Default Rich and Creamy Mascarpone Cheesecake

Mascarpone cheese gives this cake a richer taste and even creamier texture than cheesecake made with all cream cheese. I like the nice citrus flavours as well.

Level One
Pro/Fat
Serves ~8 or more

Crust (optional, it tastes just as good without a crust-skip to the filling part if you don't want the crust):

Please remember, do not "pack" the whey powder into the measuring cup, as this will alter the recipe. I fluff the powder in the with a fork and then take out loose scoops. The whey powder I use is called ISO XP and can be found at GNC. I use the vanilla flavour in this crust. It's the best tasting powder I've found, and has the lowest carbs (only 1g per scoop, so it's negligable in the recipe).

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Spray a springform pan with olive oil or use butter to grease it.

1 cup vanilla whey powder
1 stick of butter, softened (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup Splenda

Combine in a small bowl and mix together well. Mixture will be crumbly. Press into bottom of pan. Bake at 325 for about 10-12 minutes or until it is just barely browned on top. Do not allow it to brown too much...

Let cool for 15 minutes. (Raise oven temp to 350 now for baking the cheesecake)

---------------------------------------
Cheesecake filling:

16 ounces softened cream cheese
16 ounces mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 - 1 1/4 cups splenda
grated orange or lemon or lime peel (from one whole fruit, plus the juice and bits of pulp)
*If using lemon/lime, also add 3 teaspoons of lemon or lime juice - the bottled kind
*If using orange, you can add orange extract in the same amounts as above

Oven should be heated to 350. Beat the cream cheese with sweetener until fluffy. Add the
mascarpone cheese and continue to beat until well combined. Add the eggs one at a
time, beating after each addition. Add the vanilla, and cream and beat until fully
combined. Stir in the peel and any juice or extract you're using. Pour into a greased springform pan and bake 15 minutes. Turn the temperature down to 225 and bake an hour and 10-20 minutes.
The cake should be firm around the outside, but the center could be a little wiggly
still. It will continue to cook a little after it is taken out of the oven. Run a knife
around the pan, but dont open the pan. Chill uncovered overnight.

***Ovens vary in temperature, so it may take a little longer than the recipe states.
Start checking after an hour and 10 minutes. The center should have a little wiggle
to it but it should not be wet. Mine turns out great at exactly the one hour/10 min mark.

When ready to serve, you can eat it plain, make cream cheese icing as below, or make a simple rhubarb
sauce to top it with:

Icing:
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
sweetener of choice equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar.
Beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add the vanilla and sweetener and
continue beating until stiff peaks form. Add the mascarpone and beat until full
combined and fluffy. Spoon over the chilled cheesecake and spread out evenly.

Rhubarb Sauce:

I don't have an extact recipe for this, but basically I buy a bag of frozen rhubarb pieces,
and for one serving I take maybe 5 pieces, put it in a small dish with 1-2 tbsp of
water and microwave for two minutes. The rhubarb should look wet and mushy and you should
be able to mash it with a fork. If it's too runny, add a couple more pieces of rhubarb or
use less water. I add a little bit of Splenda to sweeten it (however much you prefer) and
then put it on the cheesecake. If you don't like the topping warm, make it ahead of time
and pop it into the fridge for a bit to cool it. Tastes like a fruit topping but it's a
vegetable!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 22:16

Stats: 230/135/126 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Lemon Torte

Level One
Pro/Fat
Serves: 8

4 egg whites
1-teaspoon vanilla

¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups sugar equivalent (I used 4 TBSP SugarNot)
4 egg yolks
2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
½ cup sugar equivalent
Dash salt
1 cup whipping cream

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large mixer bowl beat egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar, and the ¼ teaspoon salt at medium speed of electric mixer till soft peaks form. Gradually add the 1 1/3 cups sugar equivalent, about a Tablespoon at a time, beating at high speed about 12 minutes or till very stiff peaks form. Spread beaten egg whites in the bottom of a well-buttered 9-inch pie plate. Place in pre-heated oven, immediately turn heat off. Let stand in oven with door closed for 5 hours or overnight. Do not open oven door.

For lemon filling, in a small mixer bowl beat egg yolks about 5 minutes or till thick and lemon colored. Transfer to a small, heavy saucepan. Stir in lemon peel, lemon juice, the ½ cup sugar equivalent, and dash salt. Cook and stir over low heat about 12 minutes or till thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; cover. Cool without stirring.

To assemble torte, whip cream just to soft peaks. (I added 1 tsp. Slimsweet and ½ tsp vanilla to the whipping cream.) Spread a little less than half of the whipped cream in the bottom of the baked torte shell. Top with cooled lemon filling, then with remaining whipped cream to cover entire shell. Chill 5 hours or overnight. Cut into wedges, using a wet knife.

I found this recipe in my Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook also. It describes this torte as: "A fancy dessert to climax that special dinner--". The only change I made was the substitution for sugar.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 11:39

Stats: 230/135/126 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Smile Fudgesicles

Almost Level One
Pro/Fat
Serves: 6 - 7

½ cup butter
2 cups heavy whipping cream

2/3 cup sifted Wondercocoa
1 ½ cup sugar equivalent (I used 3 TBSP SugarNot)
2 tsp vanilla

In a saucepan, melt butter. Add cream and heat until quite warm. Remove from heat and add cocoa, sugar substitute and vanilla. Beat with a mixer for a few minutes and put into freezer pop containers. Freeze; after 2 hours, insert Popsicle sticks.

This recipe was originally posted by JustMe on www.suzannesomers.com

They are Almost Level 1 so should only be eaten occasionally if you are losing well.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 07:44

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

I don't have any protein powder, but did this as an alternative:

I mixed:
4 cups decaf coffee
i tablespoon heavy cream
some vanilla
some cocoa powder- about 1 1/2 tablespoons
12-14 packets of Splenda (mostly that much because of the cocoa)
1 tablespoon dried egg white powder
about 15 ice cubes

I mixed it in my VitaMix Blender. I had never added the egg white powder before. I had added 1-2 raw eggs before. The mix I had last night was frothy in a way I had never experienced. I had no ice cubes in the mix. It was very good!

I do WW, so I couldn't use more heavy cream, it gets too high in calories.