Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-11, 11:14

Plan: dunno
Stats: 110/110/120 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress:
Default dangerously low magnesium

hi im new,

i am NOT trying to lose weight but i'm watching my blood sugar.

anyhow, has anyone here had crticially low levels of mag. my magnesium was .5 (1.5-2.5). how long did you feel it took your body to really recuperate?

also weird question but is there any way that magnesium malate could cause constipation??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-11, 16:53
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I've only had my blood levels tested, which don't tell you much unless you're severely deficient.

Any type of magnesium, even magnesium malate, should help prevent constipation. It can even give you explosive diarrhea if you take too much. If you can gradually increase your dose until you find out the dose that gives you diarrhea and then keep it just under that, you'll get the most out of it.

I make and drink Wallerwater now as well as taking Epsom salt baths. Other people apply magnesium oil directly to the skin.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-11, 17:42

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris
hi im new,

i am NOT trying to lose weight but i'm watching my blood sugar.

anyhow, has anyone here had crticially low levels of mag. my magnesium was .5 (1.5-2.5). how long did you feel it took your body to really recuperate?

also weird question but is there any way that magnesium malate could cause constipation??

this is so weird- I was coming in here to post that I got back blood work on Friday and I have a magnesium deficiency. I got 1.2 (1.6 to 2.6 for my lab).

Dr. told me to take 400mg once a day of mag oxide- took it a couple hrs ago. i hope it works really soon.

i started experiencing strange tingly/ pins and needles in my face last spring. it has continued to get worse, to the point that now sometimes my hands clamp up like claws. and i can't control them, and sometimes i feel like i can;t control my facial muscles.

really freaked me out!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-11, 17:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/225/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Wow, I have had that pins and needles tingly thing in my face. Didn't know mag. could have something to do with it. Interesting. So much good info. here.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-11, 19:59
Lipivore

BF:

He suggested magnesium oxide? That's the least bioavailable form. Magnesium glycinate is the best but almost anything else is better than the oxide.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-11, 07:16

BF:

oh no......yes I specifically asked the nurse to repeat what form to get. and the pharmacist confirmed that Mag Ox is what I want, so I bought it

Here is what I need:
Feeling "sparkly" sounds nice and all, but my main objective here is to stop the severe muscle cramps/ pins and needles, and the much more serious outcomes- I have been hospitalized twice in one yr due to a very severe build up of acid in my blood- they can't figure out what type of metabolic acidosis it is. They think both boughts may have been DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis, but I had normal blood sugars. Both times I had a mild stomach bug, which could have triggered it- because my electrolytes were out of balance to begin with).
Obviously they ruled out accidental poisoning, chronic alcoholism, etc....

So, my question is whether the Mag Ox will correct the deficiency. I have read some of the other benefits people rave about on this board, but my primary concern is to get it back into the range where these very scary episodes stop.

Thank you all for helping me! I think I almost scared my poor husband to death a few times recently, with everything that has gone on.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-11, 11:28

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

I am shocked that they suggested mag oxide. Go find some chelated magnesium or I have purchased mag malate from amazon. Mag oxide is not absorbed by the body
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-11, 12:19
Lipivore

BF:

In a way I hope it is a magnesium deficiency because that can be corrected but you'd be better off with a chelated magnesium supplement. Look for something that ends with "ate" Only 4% of magnesium oxide gets absorbed. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11794633

I wish you luck!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-11, 12:33

BF:

Ok, thanks to you both. Will go by health food store tomorrow (it has a great vitamin section).

We know i have a mag deficiency from lab work- and also that the acidosis has occur ed twice now. So, hopefully, it was just the dehydration from stomach bugs on top of having en underlying imbalance that made seriously ill those 2 times.

The other reason it might have have happened is not too bad:
1. it was diabetic ketoacidodis without high blood sugar, due triggered by the stomach bugs (I have type I diabetes)

the one really scary possible cause:
1. early stages of renal failure....have to wait another month to get more labs done......

for the meantime, i will go get that magnesium chelate or citrate- thanks!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-11, 12:46

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 218.5/203.8/150 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 21%

Follow your doctor's advice and at the next visit educate him on the different type of mangesium. Get his buy in, you want to make sure he didn't tell you oxide for other reasons.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-11, 13:23

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Just subscribing for now,

amanda
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-11, 14:42
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I use magnesium chloride brine, from the Zechstein Sea. It amazes me all the 'supplements' and vitamins in the stores still use the MagOx -- I guess it's the cheapest?
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-11, 23:33
Lipivore

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore4now
Follow your doctor's advice and at the next visit educate him on the different type of mangesium. Get his buy in, you want to make sure he didn't tell you oxide for other reasons.

Oxide is oxygen bound to another element. Knowing that she has a magnesium deficiency and not an oxygen deficiency, we can probably conclude that it was prescribed for the magnesium deficiency.

I respect and agree with your advice. She should ask why he prescribed it and educate him especially if he says it's to treat the magnesium deficiency. If he decides to do his own research in peer reviewed studies, it may end up benefiting many more of his patients.

Doctors don't get much education in nutrition. http://journals.lww.com/academicmed...chools_.30.aspx Unless they keep up on the latest research, they really don't know any more than what they were taught. That's why many of them prescribe vitamin D2 or recommend low fat diets for example.

Again, I'm glad that you didn't tell her to ignore these people on the Internet and take her doctor's word as gold just because he has an "MD" after his name. I do like the way you put it and I commend you for that.

Robin120 is doing the right thing by researching her diagnosis herself and taking her doctor's recommendations into consideration without blindly following them.

Last edited by RawNut : Tue, Sep-27-11 at 02:07.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-11, 13:12

BF:

Thanks, everyone.

My Dr. is one of the most progressive and the BEST endos in the field. He is extremely knowledgeable and supportive of low carbing. Also, he turned me onto the vitamin D3. Knowing that he keeps up with the articles, I decided to utilize his new "web portal" which allows me to e-mail him. How cool is that?

I hate to be a bother and play the phone message game with the nurses, so this is awesome! And i got my labs super quickly, because they get posted.

Also, please let me apologize to the OP for completely hijacking your thread!

Will let you all know what i hear from my Dr.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-11, 01:31

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
Thanks, everyone.

My Dr. is one of the most progressive and the BEST endos in the field. He is extremely knowledgeable and supportive of low carbing. Also, he turned me onto the vitamin D3. Knowing that he keeps up with the articles, I decided to utilize his new "web portal" which allows me to e-mail him. How cool is that?

I hate to be a bother and play the phone message game with the nurses, so this is awesome! And i got my labs super quickly, because they get posted.

Also, please let me apologize to the OP for completely hijacking your thread!

Will let you all know what i hear from my Dr.

If you're taking D3, you really need to take a good magnesium supplement, such as Dr's Best High Absorption Magnesium with it, otherwise your symptoms of magnesium deficiency might just get worse!

I hope your endo is aware of this!!!

amanda