Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 15:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction now CAD
Stats: 198/175/175 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile Advice for getting off Induction to start CALP

I have been on Atkins Induction and it's working ok. At the end of the 2 weeks I want to switch to the CALP. What changes do I need to watch for in my low carb (complementary) meals. I can handle not having snacks. Everything I tried that was allowed in the Induction was so bad I didn't want it anyway.

I'm looking forward to one great meal per day. Eating it in an hour won't be a problem.

Thanks - Larry
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 16:41
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

The first thing you should do is take the test. If you are a carbohydrate addict (CA), welcome!!! Next you should get the book and read some threads here on the CAD/CALP forum for information gathering. Also visit some of the CADers that post here. There is a lot of information on the threads in this forum. You should definitely read the overview and the cheat sheet.

Let us know your score.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 17:26

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 191/189/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Oh, dear, yes!
Progress: 5%

Hi Larry --
You'll find several people here who have switched from Atkins to CAD/CALP (like me! ), so you'll have lots of support and info. I personally lost more on CALP than on Atkins! Feel free to visit my journal, and I'm sure other CADettes would welcome a journal visit, too. I feel great on CALP! Welcome to the CADettes.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 18:39
Registered Member

BF:

What I was mostly curious about is the potential pitfalls in making the transition. I've been really strict on the Induction plan so far. I've got a ripe cantaloupe in the frig that smells like heaven but alas it's not on the plan.

It looks to me like the CALP is something I could get used to and stick with long term. It works with eating out or having someone over for dinner. It's also easy to not cheat when you know you are going to get rewarded by just waiting a few hours.

Thanks to both for the help.

Zul - I went back and took the test just to get a score. I'm a solid 8. I knew I was a CA but did it just to get the number.

Kitten - Thanks I read your whole journal. It looks like the two Comp meals are very similar to Atkins Induction meals and the RM are just balanced meals with a dessert.

Larry
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 18:58
Registered Member

BF:

Zul,

Just found and printed out the "cheat sheet". That is excelent!

Thanks - Larry
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 20:01

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

Welcome...you're going to LOVE it! It's sooo nice to eat normally once a day. The family really loves this one!

There's lots of help here...just ask..

Deb
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 20:55

Plan: CAD + South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/177/160
BF:
Progress: 76%

HI,
i have switched it'll take some time for you body to adjust from low carb to having carb. eat lots of lc and starcy veggies at rm along with protein and starch and you'll be fine.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 02:09

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Welcome, Larry--Hope that you will enjoy your CAD experience. BTW- Love your pups! The one on the left looks very much like our Sheltie that we lost last month--he went at age 17. Hope that your two will live such long and happy lives...
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 13:58

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/142.2/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:41%/33%/??
Progress: 73%

I too am a Sheltie lover, yours look wonderful. We had one before we had kids and spoiled him rotten (he was my baby) but then when we had our first son the dog didn't seem able to adjust--started chewing our clothes, messing in the house,etc. So we gave him away. I still miss him nearly 8 years later!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 14:41
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Thanks for the encouraging replys everyone. I'm down 10 pounds today and I'm ready to switch.

As for Yavi & Cokie they are a couple of love bunnies. To become a dog in our house first you have to live your lives to the highest degree as a Budist Monk and then elevate to a puppy destined for our house. Being a dog in our home is the hight level before pure light. We lost our oldest Supai about a year ago. She is now a pure beam of light somewhere.

Attached is a picture of all three.

Thanks - Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 girls copy.jpg (39.8 KB, 9 views)
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 01:34
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

Alrighty, here's the deal. I have been on Atkins since Aug 19th, lost 18lbs. Also, wasnt my first go around with Atkins. I am going out to buy the CAD book tomorrow and start it the next day. Here is why. I cannot function on the Atkins plan. I was sticking to it, with zero "cheats" and kept having an insulin spike, causing myself to have low blood sugar and talk about feeling sick this past week....... Plus, I was having a very unhealthy lack of hunger. I could barely choke down anything most of the time.
I KNOW I am a carb addict, admit it freely. So, now I'll see how this plan works for me. I am going to give this 4 weeks and see how I feel. The thing is, I don't care how fast it comes off, but how I feel while I am doing it. I couldn't take one more day of the funk on Atkins. I have now also bought a meter to test my own blood to see what's up. So I am going to be keeping track of that as well.
I've really enjoyed reading 2 hours worth of journals. I have compared plans, read till I am almost asleep in this chair. Looking forward to this support forum.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 03:52

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hello-IthinkIcan- and welcome. Hope you will enjoy your new woe! I think your tummy is gonna' be happy you switched! All the best to you!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 16:05
Registered Member

BF:

IthingIcan,

When I first started on the Induction I also felt like I was choking down greasy bacon and eggs when I really wanted cereal or oatmeal or even something lighter like cantalope. It's strange but after switching to CAD just knowing that I have the RM coming makes it easy. If I really want something else when it's time for one of the low carb meals I just put it on the front of the shelf in the frig. Just knowing that I can have it in few hours has made that much easier.

My wife brought home some of those sweet red grapes today. They are waiting right on my shelf in the frig. Also, even though I don't crave chocolate ice cream, a small bowl after my salad, protein, and veggies is still wonderful!

Larry
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 00:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 330/276/150 Female 5' 1/2
BF:WAY TOO MUCH!!!
Progress: 30%

You asked about the MAIN changes...Well it's the FAT. On Atkins you purposely add fat freely(fat burns fat). Most likely there will be a few days to a week for your system to get accustomed to the change...mine took about a week.
On CAD you do feel like your still on induction on CM meals but with a lot less fat.
There needs to be 24 hrs between RMs...so if you change up your RM from a Dinner meal on Monday to Lunch on Tuesday your body has not had enough time to be 'fooled' and you will take a chance on backtracking... If you know a day or so ahead of time you might have the day preseeding the change as a non reward meal day(3 CMs instead) and have the reward meal whichever meal the next day. The book says to save the changes for only a FEW special days during the year if at all possible. This was so 'sad' for me to realize at first but now I'm resigned to it and realize it's the RULE and if I want to see results I have to follow it. My husband says "This is all rubbish!" But he has a different body and can loose weight easily. Carbs don't bother him at all and it boggles his mind to understand that I'm addicted to them.
Good luck in this woe!
Pat
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 11:12

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/142.2/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:41%/33%/??
Progress: 73%

Pat: It's funny how people want to diminish things that work for someone else just because they don't work for them or they don't understand it. My husband and my boss liked to make fun of my way of eating until they saw the weight loss, the renewed energy and the control I had!!