Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#286   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-10, 11:19

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:
Progress: 97%

I don't believe in food addiction either. If I were eating only eggs for days, I would also be desperate to add more variety to my diet, even frankenfoods. But maybe he just have to make his sponsors happy.
Sponsored Links
  #287   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-10, 11:47

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne!
Seejay what makes you think he is a carb addict?
I guess the sum total of his experiences and behavior as I have observed over the months I've been watching. I have been an addict so yes, it could be a case of takes one to know one -wrong, LOL.

Quote:
Can't people like certain food because it is delicious?
Well yes, I think so. The question is not whether or not food is delicious - we all get to enjoy that. But what about when "delicious" goes over the line to "whoopee."

We know now there are the brain changes that come from large quantities of "highly palatable food." Some people get more brain changes than others, and large quantities of drug-like food is new to our bodies.

What if the brain changes from highly palatable food, is a partial cause of being obese? Personally i would want to be armed with such knowledge.

To dismiss the idea of physical drivers to acquire more highly palatable food, affecting some people harder than others, because "food is supposed to be delicious," is more damaging to responders (like me) than non-responders (like moderation people), and yes, I am not a fan of that approach.

Quote:
Can't he just be sick and what to eat what he wants? Does it necessarily have to go deeper than that?
Nope, doesn't have to go deeper. That is one way to stay stuck however if it is deeper.

In my experience, people who don't have a problem with carbs, when they are sick, they eat nothing or else go for the chicken soup. In contrast, we carb-sensitives KNOW that starch and sugar is not the best thing to be eating when sick - but it makes us feel so much better, we don't care.

Quote:
Not trying to be combative (for once), I am curious as to what you think. I love ice cream and could eat 2 pints no problem. Does this make me an addict? Or just a chick that loves ice cream?
I don't mind you being combative my dear, I like being direct myself!

Ah the big question. You'd have to tease out what is in your physical response to ice cream (including mood as a physical response).

Would you like the ice cream as much, if was made Optimal style like Peter at Hyperlipid wrote? Does it need to be made of pasteurized, homogenized dairy (an endorphin raiser for many). Does it need to have sugar or honey, or is ripe fruit enough? Do you have an off switch, or could you eat 8 pints?

Or there is the famous DSM substance dependence checklist as applied to palatable food.

In my mind the only reason to wonder if "dependence" applies to me, is if I get good ideas from what our addiction-recovery friends, and science, have learned. Like not having it around, not getting hungry, lonely, tired, all that stuff.

I guess one thing that impresses me is, substance people know it is life-threatening in a way that others don't. That might not resonate with you if you don't think the food issue is that big a deal.
  #288   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-10, 12:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne!
Not trying to be combative (for once), I am curious as to what you think. I love ice cream and could eat 2 pints no problem. Does this make me an addict? Or just a chick that loves ice cream?

Why do we enjoy anything, why are we attracted to certain foods/activities and indifferent to others? Our body manufactures opiates and we get a little pleasurable rush. That causes us to do it again and it strengthens the neural circuitry in the brain to seek out that behavior to get the rush again. This is actually a good thing if we lived in the time period our physiology was adapted for. If you were blaise about eating you might not be motivated enough to seek out food.

Certain foods we eat are also broken down into peptides that can bind to opiate receptors and they are small enough to cross the blood brain barrier.

Now you can decide for yourself where to draw the line between addiction and just liking something, but this isn't entirely about conscious decisions. We have an elaborate hormonal/electrical system that plays into these things. While I might consciously realize that I should stop eating ice cream after I've had a single serving, there's a lot of unconscious factors that are not entirely under my control that make it very, very hard to stop going back for the next serving.

It's like that old saying, "I can quit anytime I want... I just don't want to."

Unfortunately the more you reinforce a behavior the harder it is to change.