Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-05, 11:36

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 185/184/150 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default frustrated over the weekend.....

Hi guys...just checking in (Sunday afternoon)....had an 'okay' weekend but I find it hard to do stellar on the weekends (see my other post)..so I get frustrated when I get on the scale it's usually up! Probably alot has to do w/lack of water drinking, but it's really hard to stay good in the context of a not-so-structured weekend. I SOOOOOOO want to and need to lose atleast 15 more pounds....I get so discouraged if the scale doesn't go down! I'm glad tomorrow is MOnday (most people don't say that!), as I can focus on 2 good CMs and a well contained/balanced RM for 5 days in a row!

I think I"ll make sure to have a GREAT RM tonight so I can get jump on the week!

Hope you all had a good weekend; I'm really glad we support each other; I look forward to your enthusiasm and feedback.

I go to my new ENDO on April 20..so just counting the days until I (hopefully) get my dose bumped up.....
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-05, 22:37
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 157/153/150 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hi All!

Way2Goal, I just posted on your weekend thread, and I also have a harder time then. I'll let you read the other post and not repeat myself here as I tend to ramble

I hope everything goes smoothly with your new endo. I was so glad to see that my thyroid levels eventually came back up into the normal range and I didn't have to try to get my endo to put me on medication. When we got my results last summer, my FT3 and FT4 were definitely hypo, but he couldn't see past the fact that my TSH was not yet up in the normal range. I kept pointing out that it had risen quite a bit from my hyper days of the spring when I first got diagnosed with Graves', but so many doctors want to treat you just based on your TSH, and I know that lags behind your blood levels of T3 and T4. It took a while for my body to normalize, but it did. However, those six months of being hypo were not fun. I tried to do CAD, but I kept getting heart palpitations if I'd go without food for more than 2 or 3 hours. And it's no big shock that I gained weight while being hypo and eating such frequent meals all day long.

But now I am feeling good. Lots of energy, not hypo or hyper. It makes such a huge difference to have your hormone levels at an optimal range. I have such respect now for the power they have. So I am sending good thoughts your way, and it's not too long til 4/20 and your appointment. Do you take just T4, or do you take a little T3 in the mix too? My sister takes Synthroid, which is just T4, and she feels fine on it (she also had Graves' and she did the radioactive iodine and is now permanently hypo.)
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-05, 07:10

BF:
Default happy Monday

Thanks, TwoCats..your support means alot. I'm on just T4 (Levoxyl) right now. My prev endo did let me try a stint on T3 w/some T4 last fall..but that was only for 6 weeks, and I didn't feel good on it..I think we needed to maybe adjust the T4 more..but I went right back to my last good dose of T4 only vs risking putting on weight and feeling yucky while I get the doses right again.

I'm back up to 169.5. I've been working out really well this past month..so I'm going to TELL myself that's the addition of some new muscle in there....but, I really want to do CAD strictly, as I think it does work, and I do feel good on it.

I hope you have a good week. I can have 5 good CAD days in a row, with alot of Tennis planned this week...so hopefully my scale will reward me! Take care!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-05, 22:34
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Holly,

Tennis sounds like so much fun! I used to be on the tennis team in high school. You are inspiring me to make exercise a priority this week too. Otherwise it's so easy to stay late at work and then it's dinner time when I get home and then later on I feel all unstretched and like the stress of the day built up with no release. I hope the week of CAD ahead of you and all that tennis will banish those pesky extra two pounds that have popped up - and hopefully more besides.

My sister feels just fine on all T4 too. It's funny, because so many people on the thyroid boards on the internet are big proponents of a mix of T4 and T3. But all the people I've actually met outside those seem to do fine on just T4. I guess the ones who have trouble with the usual meds are the ones who end up going to the internet for support and then being really vocal. That's one thing I really like about this forum - everyone seems really mellow and supportive. I was posting on the thyroid boards for a while, but very few people seemed interested in all my natural healing stuff, so I have kind of faded away from that. Every so often I go on again just to let the newbies know that you can heal yourself by changing your diet and lifestyle.

OK - take care and have a great week! --Gretchen
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-05, 07:24

BF:

So, how's CAD going for you!?? Are you making any progress? This IS very frustrating, but since I feel SO much better and in control, it's easy to make it my WOL.

I think I might be building muscle, since my weight has gone up lately (I'm at 168.5 today, Plus TOM)....so I'm hoping that I can slowly tweak that down w/LOTS of exercise (yeah..spring is here..tennis outside!)...and following CAD strictly. I think consistency will be the key, as well as exercise 5-6x/week. Besides, I can always use self-tanner...my fat always looks skinnier when it's tan!

HOpe you're doing well....wish we could play tennis together: I LOVE to play, but don't like to pay the court fees!

have a great week! keep up that exercise!!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-05, 21:29
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Holly,

I got a chuckle out of your line "my fat always looks skinnier when it's tan!" I am red-haired and freckled, so I don't get much color going, and I think you are probably right about that.

I've been basically maintaining on CAD since I started it up - I lost a half a pound this past week when I averaged, which didn't seem exciting enough to update my stats for. So I decided to skip breakfast today and see if that gives me a nudge in the desired direction. I'm not stressed over losing quickly, but I would like to see things going in the right direction. 150 lbs is my normal baseline, and when I got up to 160-ish this past fall (once it was 162) I was kind of depressed. But some of it has melted away without effort once my thyroid hormones came back up to normal. However, I thought I would give it a little help by trying CAD again.

Plus, like you, I just feel really good on this plan, so even if I'm just maintaining, I consider that a positive. And from experience, slow is totally the way to go for me, or I get into this obsessive feast-or-famine mode, and I always rebound. The nice thing about going slow is that you almost have your maintenance way of eating all worked out, and it's not as difficult to transition. I feel like I'm eating really healthy food and I'm not hungry all day long, so I don't feel any un-met hunger needs building up like I have when I have tried other diets.

Hey, I went for a nice long walk after school today -yay me! Thanks for the support and for inspiring me to get out there and do it.

--Gretchen
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 20:40

Plan: CALP
Stats: 140/125/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Gretchen, when you mentioned the feast or famine mode, you hit a chord in me. LOL That's me too and now I'm trying to be moderate and not trying too hard to deprive myself. It always backfires with me too! I'm so happy I've figured this out too.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 22:23
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Sue,

Yes, I think for me the motto is: slow but steady wins the race. Plus I really want to see if this might work for me as a long-term woe. I noticed that I have pretty much maintained when I ate two cm's and my rm, and now the past couple days I have lost when I went down to one cm. So maybe this is the difference between maintaining and losing for me. I will continue to experiment and see how it goes and what I learn.

Good luck - talk to you soon! --Gretchen
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 22:44

Plan: CALP
Stats: 140/125/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Gretchen, that was a very interesting observation. One CM and the RM and you lose - 2 CM's and a RM and you maintain. Great! - now you have your formula for weight loss and also for maintenance.