Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 22:29
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

So far, I haven't lived up to my Challenge promise and probably won't for awhile. I did go to the gym twice and walked 2 miles in 35 minutes on the treadmill each time. And also shoveled snow for 45 minutes (gotta count for something ).

But the stair climbing is out. I am noticing a flare-up of pain in my knees and recall now that they flare when I overdo the stepping motion. Even an elevated treadmill will do it. So ... for now, I'll take stairs when I have to but not as much as planned.

I also have to have a better strategy for exercising in the evenings. Weekends are OK to get to the gym but I'm not a morning person and don't usually get home until 6:45 and then have dinner. By the time I'm done, I'm DONE and already have a few nights out in the week!! I read how some of you are using WAP -- I'll go and see if I can find a copy. Maybe it will be easier to do this stuff at home rather than having to go out.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 08:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272/199/175 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Teresa - How horrible! That should NOT happen...someone at that school really messed up. Thankfully, your nephew is ok.

So far, I've been doing well with my challenge. I've been sticking to my 5 day/week cardio at the gym, despite bad weather and my non-sleeping 2 y.o.

This is actually the 3rd week I've been doing this and I'm really starting to feel better. I have much more stamina and can push myself harder on the treadmill and recumbent bike and can swim more laps without stopping. For those of you just starting, it really does get better quickly if you keep at it. I felt like I was going to die during my first few workouts. I just took my measurements this week so we'll see...
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 09:09
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins (restart 1/5/04)
Stats: 198/185/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Theresa - I'm so glad your nephew is OK. I love how he is so nonchalant about the whole thing. He's probably wondering why everyone is making such a big deal about it all!

Maureen - "It was a muscle" ... I love that! Congratulations, and may you find many more where that came from
Monica - I WISH I could ride everyday, but no, I'm only riding the once a week. I don't have a horse ($$$$$$$$) and the once a week is expensive enough. At the previous barn I was at, I could ride twice a week for just a bit more than the current barn's once a week, but the horses here seem to be much better quality. Plus my instructor left at the other barn, so ...

pha1226 - I'm impressed that you're sticking with your workouts, especially with the non-sleeping 2yo. That deserves at least a couple of gold stars.

hummelda - hey, you gotta listen when the body tells you something, so you're doing the right thing by avoiding the stairs as much as possible. What's important is that you are making adjustments to keep up the activity level.

For me, I did an ok weight workout last nite, and I hope to get two short walks in today.
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 13:44

Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%

thanks all for your notes and PMs - He is very nonchalant about it! Excited to have made both the paper and evening news!! But everything is fine!! Just wanted to remind people to be sure that their children's school has an up-to-date policy in place. We are very grateful to the kind woman who took him in.

I have not had the most productive week - I have a touch of a cold and have been extremely busy most evenings for some reason. I will get a walk in tomorrow or if the weather is really bad may go to the pool and do some water walking there. The resistance is fantastic!! Plus I get to hop in the whirlpool after.

enjoy your posts and inspiration!

I am going to make one more commitment for next week and that is to schedule in my calendar time each week that is set aside for me!! Decided this is the most important thing for me!!
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 19:52

Stats: 277/241.4/140 Female 5'4"
BF:???/???/Healthy!
Progress: 26%
Angry What a crock!!

Hi all...

I went to the gym after school today for my session with the personal trainer. All I really wanted was for her to show me how to use the various machines, so that I don't hurt myself. What I got was a complete session (measurements, body fat, etc.). Then, of course, they tried to get me to sign up for one-on-one training. That in itself is not so bad; that's how they make their living. What irritated me is them poo-pooing my way of eating. They kept saying that I was going to lose muscle, that I needed to "eat the right kinds of foods in the right amounts", and that if I signed up, they would develop an eating plan for maximum success.

Maybe I was too sensitive, but it kind of pissed me off. Like I'm too stupid to know what's best for me. I told her that I feel better than I have in a long time, but she just gave me some literature to read about "fad" diets.

I do have an appointment with her tomorrow to finish finding out about the machines, then I'm going to do this on my own. If I could just pay for the trainer without the nutrition "preacher", I'd do it. But, I think they're a package deal.

Any thoughts for me??
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 20:26
Registered Member

Stats: 245/234/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Have actually managed to spend about an hour on the bike each day - but in 3 shorter sessions each day and did use the stairs at work but the cold weather is making me take the subway it is just too too cold - i walked the 2 mins from the subway to my office and could not breathe it was so cold.
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 20:37

Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Still going! Made it to deepwater aquafit last night, and for my walk this morning. An interesting observation I had - I only take the bus 1 or 2 times a week, and when I first started walking to this bus stop, only 2 or 3 weeks ago, I'd be walking at a very uncomfortably quick pace to make it to the bus stop in 20 minutes. Today, at a brisk but comfortable pace, I did it in 12. It's funny how much difference some simple activity can make - think of all the extra time I'll have in my day if I'm moving that much quicker

I'm loving my aquafit, though I desperately need a new bathing suit, and I'm really starting to enjoy the walks - having a cd playing makes all the difference for me I think - I just walk to the beat and relax. Without the music I get to distracted/self-concious. With it, I"m in my own little world

Hope everyone's doing great!

TeachinNV - no real good advice from me, I'm afraid. I, too, would probably be terribly irritated by that. I think that what I'd probably do is say something along the lines of "Look, I appreciate your suggestion, but I'm happier, healthier and doing well with the way I eat. I'd love to get your help with my training, but not if it's going to mean I need to be arguing with you about my food choices - can we agree to disagree and drop it?" Not too brilliant, I'm afraid! Good luck with it - I'd love to work with a trainer for a bit!

Grendeldog - that's great that you get to ride regularly!! My "reward" activity that I'm planning for when I lose a bit more weight (and save a lot more money!!!!) is regular riding lessons. I had riding lessons all through growing up, but $ and time got scarce and I stopped - major regret now!! Have some fun for me, will ya?
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 20:54
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins (restart 1/5/04)
Stats: 198/185/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Wynter, the riding was my reward on my first time thru with LowCarb for losing 20 pounds. That was in Oct '02 and I just loved it. After my instructor returned to England in August, I stopped. Getting back into it again was my reward for getting thru the first week of Induction. It's great exercise and a terrific reward for yourself. But I understand about the money. Definitely not a cheap sport.
And don't worry, I'll be sure to have some extra fun for you, too! I'll even bring an extra horsey treat and tell him it's from you.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 21:33

Stats: 277/241.4/140 Female 5'4"
BF:???/???/Healthy!
Progress: 26%
Red face An apology

Hi all...

Now that I've calmed down, and had my nice LO-CARB dinner, I'm ready to say "please pardon my language". While I know that it wasn't the worst language I could have used...well, you get the picture.

Here's what I've decided to do...I'll continue:
1. to work out daily (unless my schedule or body dictates otherwise);
2. to follow my new, healthy WOE;
3. to feel positive and proud about my life changes;
4. to drink oceans of water and spend all of my free time in the bathroom;
5. to visit this forum to vent and celebrate with my new "bestest" friends.

BTW, my legs feel sooo weak now. The trainer had me lean against the wall with a huge ball in the small of my back and do deep knee bends. I'm sure that it is a useful and effective exercise, buy my knees are protesting. Everytime I stand up, they feel rubbery. I may continue to do this exercise, but I'll work my way up to the 12 reps she had me do.

TTFN!!
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 22:18

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Hi everyone! It is so inspiring to read all of the successes here!

Teresa, so glad your nephew is ok. That happened to my daughter on her very first day of school. Of course, it was warm then and she knew to go to our friend's house. The teachers put her on the school bus, when she was supposed to go with the day care provider. It's good for parents to have a back up plan in place, too.

I've done my 2-mile WAP all this week (5 days total). I'm thinking of dropping that back to 3 times per week. I am still investigating what other exercise routine I want to do. My logical mind needs to understand how this all works so that I can make an educated decision. So, I'm going to the library this weekend to pick up some books.

I did read on the exercise forum about how it's better to do your cardio workout in the morning on an empty stomach. So, today, I switched from a lunchtime workout to a morning workout.
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 23:31

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I have completed my goals for the week. This weekend I will be hunting for a good pair of walking shoes as the ones I have hurt my feet. Can't let those little puppies suffer now can I.

Have a great weekend everyone!
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 00:42
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

I'm envious of all you wonderful people who have made your goal (or even come close to it!) for this week. STILL finishing up this cold/bronchial/coughy thing; haven't come close to my workout schedule. I will get back to it, I will get back to it, I will get back to it...

Even with my Curves opening at 6am, I can't do my workout and get to school on time, so I have to do it after school. I'm aiming for tomorrow... <sigh>

Teresa: I'm glad your nephew is okay. That's more than just a "screw up"!

Jude

Last edited by Mossling : Fri, Jan-30-04 at 00:45.
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 01:04
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up Gaining Momentum!

Week Two …

Goals
What are you setting your sights this week? Are you going to maintain this level of activity or are you ready to take a small step towards increasing duration or intensity?

Also consider adding a different health related goal …

Extra Credit
Where does your inspiration originate?

Intrinsic motivation is your inner incentive. It includes your personal goals, values and interests. You will put in more effort, try different ways to succeed and be more persistent if your desire to keep fit comes from within.

Examples:
I want to run a marathon next year.
I love hiking and can't wait to tramp some more challenging trails.
I want to be fit enough to easily climb three flights of stairs if the elevator goes out.
Extrinsic motivation comes from outside yourself and is not nearly as effective. It includes the goals, values, and interests of others as they affect you. When you exercise in order to avoid punishment, get a reward, or to please someone; the motivation to change isn't yours. It can still be very useful, but not as powerful as those things that naturally arise from within you.

Examples:
My doctor tells me I need to exercise.
I want to get healthy enough to go to Disneyland with my grandchild.
If I workout for six months, my parents will buy me a new mountain bike.
What are your Intrinsic and Extrinsic Motivations?
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 04:50
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Thanks Monika for motivating us for a second week!

I visited the trainer provided by our employer and now have a personalized routine that works on a bit of strength training as well as the cardio. I am aiming for 3x a week for the program. It looks doable and involves a big ball, free weights, a floor mat and a treadmill.

It sounds kind of lame but I don't have any extrinsic motivators -- just one intrinsic one.

And that is -- IT'S TIME. I am fed up with being fat. No more excuses, just time to be the me I know I can be and get on with life.
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 09:27

Stats: 272/199/175 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Thanks for the motivation AntiM. My goal for this week is to continue to increase the intensity of my workouts (use the treadmill with incline, swim laps without stopping).

My extrinsive motivation is easy...Disney World! I want to look better in a bathing suit and not worry about fitting on the rides with my kids.

Internal....I recently turned 40 and have started to feel like my good luck with my health may be running out. Despite my sedentary, overweight lifestyle, I've never had any problems and don't want to develop any. I have 2 preschool aged daughters and want to be around for a while so I decided I'd better take better care of myself.

Plus, I've discovered I really enjoy going to the gym in the morning and it's really speeded my weight loss up...20 lbs in 4 weeks!

Wynter...I got a bathing suit I love at www.swimoutlet.com. They have Speedos up to size 24 that are really comfortable for water workouts and actually look nice on.