Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 16:49

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Purple Grape Juice

I have been reading some interesting research on the benefits of drinking Purple Grape Juice.

While this wouldn't be feasible on the more restrictive LC Plans it would be ok for SugarBusters!

I started drinking 12 oz a day this week. I like the idea of drinking grapejuice over taking aspirin daily. Here's one of the articles I read:

FOR YOUR HEART: PURPLE GRAPE JUICE -- John Folts, director of the Coronary Thrombosis Research Laboratory at the University of Wisconsin Medical School, says studies of flavonoids-substances that cause dark colors in some beers, red wines and purple grape juice-suggest those beverages may keep heart-damaging blood clots from forming. While aspirin alone is known to be "very good at turning platelets down," making them less sticky so they do not form clots, its effects are negated when adrenaline kicks in while exercising or under stress.

"With flavonoids," Folts explains: "the adrenaline has no effect, so the flavonoids keep on working."

Folts noted that flavonoids are found "in dark beer but not light beer; in tea but not in coffee; in purple grape juice but not in lighter grape juices that people give to babies; in red wines but not in white wines."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 19:08

Plan: Sugar Busters/Weight Watchers
Stats: 229/220/150
BF:
Progress: 11%
Talking

Hi Molly-O!!
I too, have started on the grape juice and I love it!! To make it a very special drink I have it in a crystal wine glass!
I like the benefits over aspirin as I can not take any asprin at all.Can't even use a medicated corn plaster or an arthritic rub.So, I'm really hoping for good results with the juice. And in my opinion, the juice is far safer than any drug!!

Carol
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 19:15

Plan: The G.I. Diet
Stats: 205/185/165 Male 71 inches
BF:29%/26%/23%
Progress: 50%

Interesting about purple grape juice.
Would a glass of dry red wine be better maybe? Seems to have a lot of anti-oxidants in it.
Of course if you don't drink at all then grape juice it is. Although you can get supplements that are made from red grapes and have anti-oxident qualities and very little carbs.

I think the French might have something there. Michael Montignac also (who's diet is almost identical to Sugar Busters) is a proponent of the benefits of red wine.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 19:22

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi Quincy

According to the articles

I have been reading, red wine (in moderation) is good for the heart but purple grape juice has even more benefits.

I haven't seen anything about supplements yet. Will let you know if I do.

molly
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 22:21

Plan: The G.I. Diet
Stats: 205/185/165 Male 71 inches
BF:29%/26%/23%
Progress: 50%

Hi Molly:
You may want to check out this website if you havn't already.

http://blueprint.bluecrossmn.com/topic/mnredwine

I know Usana (a multi-level marketing vitamin and supplement company) has anti-oxident supplements made from red grapes. I think each pill has the same benefits of several glasses of juice/wine.

I remember this as Usana was one of the few MLM's Donna and I tried. (Afterward we said never again). I believe they have top notch products. It's just that I don't believe in the MLM concept even though some of them have very good products.

Something I just thought of............ red wine could be habit forming but I don't think that would be much of a problem with Welch's Purple.