Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-23-09, 14:42

Plan: food combining
Stats: 150/137.4/125 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Dairy foods - What's the deal

I am so confused about dairy...Are we allowed to have it on the food combining diet or not.

I really miss my yogurt, milk..

Does anyone have any information about it??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-23-09, 16:30

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yes, you can have dairy foods unless you have a food intolerance. I find that cheese and yogurt makes me feel full so I like to have some each day. I don't drink milk though. Cheese counts as a protein, but I'm not positive where yogurt falls in?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-23-09, 18:22

BF:

Good I am going out and buying yogurt tomorrow Would that digest quickly??
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-24-09, 08:16

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Some plans (like Hay) seem to be very against drinking milk thinking it 'unnatural'. Others allow yoghurt and recommend having plain yogurt on friut for breakfast.

I found this imformation online which gives a digestion time for yogurt
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...06084345AAF1Ng3

For example simple carbs like suggary foods and highly process processed foods start to get broken down by the body almost immediately. This is why you are often hungry just 30 minutes after snacking. Also the enzymes in yogurt start to pre-digest it, so you can finish digesting a full container of yogurt in 45 minutes. Alcohol also starts to get digested within 1 minute of consumption.

Now if you eat complex carbs, fats or proteins they will take longer to digest and that is why you stay full longer. If you were to have 1 slice of 100% whole grain bread one day and 1 slice of white bread the next you will definitely feel a difference. After the white bread (which is easy to digest since it's simple carbs) you will be hungry within 15 minutes. Where as with the 100% whole grain bread you will start to feel hungry after 1 hour.

In general men digest food faster since their metabolism on average is faster than a women's. and that is why they can lose weight faster.

And this information which says that yogurt is easier to digest than milk:
http://www.stonyfield.com/Wellness/...ogurt_super.cfm

Yogurt is easy to digest.
The culturing process makes yogurt easier to digest than milk. The live active cultures create lactase, the enzyme that lactose-intolerant people lack. As a protein perk, the culturing renders the protein less allergenic, which is another reason why we pediatricians have noticed that many persons who can’t tolerate milk can comfortably digest yogurt.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-24-09, 13:51

BF:

Thanks for the info. I think maybe I will buy a couple and see how it effects my weight and stomach..
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 02:24

If you're going to buy yogurt, best to buy fat free - not so many issues with what it will combine with. I regularly eat low fat yogurts as a dessert and it doesn't affect me or my weight loss.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 17:24
Registered Member

Stats: 215/189/185 Male 5. 11
BF:
Progress: 87%

Fit for Life says everytime you eat dairy you lessen you chance of weight loss.. Dairy is good for cows. You can get calcium from nuts. Smitch007
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-09, 12:17

The guy who wote Fit for Life is a vegetarian so he has got his own issues with dairy. Man has been drinking milk ever since he domesticated cattle which were first domesticated in the Middle East during the Neolithic period, about 8000 years ago. Cetainly people of Europian descent can digest milk:

Lacthttp://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/yellow_number_five/evolution_of_life/5124
lactase persistence (also called lactose tolerance), the continued production of the enzyme lactase that breaks down the sugar lactose in milk, correlates heavily with populations currently or once based on dairy farming, estimated to have begun in Europe roughly 8,000 to 9,000 years ago. (Populations in the Middle East and northeastern Africa also have the ability to digest milk.) "There's pretty good evidence that it's the most strongly selected single gene variant in Europeans in the last 30,000 years," says Mark Thomas, a genetic anthropologist at University College London and co-author of a new study in this week's Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Generally in food combining circles it is agreed that milk is poorly digested but yogurt is fine as the fermetation process alters the proteins to make them more digestable.

I'd say eat low fat yogurt.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-10, 17:37

Plan: Low Carbing
Stats: 233.2/202/168 Female 5ft 8ins
BF:
Progress: 48%

#10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 06:09

Plan: SCD Diet
Stats: 223/199/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress:

I eat home-made yogurt on a no-carb no-sugar diet, and it works just great for me. The probiotics in my home-made yogurt are an important component for my health.