Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 06:40

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Am sitting slathered in coconut oil, wearing a shower cap, wrapped in a towel as I post

Although I'm not sure if I actually suffer from sebhoreic dermatitis, my scalp does have a tendency to be itchy and flaky. Have tried various shampoos etc., but nothing has really worked, so hoping that the coconut oil will do the trick

Thanks for the tip Ellen
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 08:01

Plan: THM
Stats: 182/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 54%

Demi - Hi! Give it a few tries and then let me know how it goes.

Here's another thought for everyone - totally not related to coconut oil BUT - if I remember correctly, quite a few people on here were adding Oil of Oregano DROPS to their regular shampoo and that, also, seemed to have some benefit w/ flaking, etc. However, I don't remember any of them actually saying they had seborrheic dermatitis - which is a whole different situation.

I don't have the link(s) handy, but do a search on here under Oil of Oregano (2brickie - I DO know that you started a thread about OoO breaking your stall, but I can't remember if THAT's the thread where people were adding it to their shampoo - it's a huge thread.) I've never tried it personally but Lily (AFWife) had some good results with it....maybe you could check w/ her.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 10:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes they used the OOO for dandruff but this isnt dandruff the dermatoligist said. We thought thats what it was and tried the OOO in the shampoo and she said it made it itch worse. Now I dont know about that because I take the stuff everyday and havent noticed any itching anywhere but she is 10. I just want to get it taken care of for her before she gets to that teenage thing you know. The doctor did say that its a form of cradle cap. Neither of my kids had cradle cap when they were babies so I dont know. I had her skip the shampoo this morning so we will see how that goes. The shampoo has zinc in it, and Im worried that is drying her head too, maybe making it itch. I was wondering if I should have her only use that shampoo like twice a week and a moisturizing shampoo the other times. Tell me what you think and I will keep you all posted on how she does. She has beautiful hair so I would hate to have to cut it or something as she has dreams of being a rodeo queen.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2brickie
Yes they used the OOO for dandruff but this isnt dandruff the dermatoligist said. We thought thats what it was and tried the OOO in the shampoo and she said it made it itch worse. Now I dont know about that because I take the stuff everyday and havent noticed any itching anywhere but she is 10. I just want to get it taken care of for her before she gets to that teenage thing you know. The doctor did say that its a form of cradle cap. Neither of my kids had cradle cap when they were babies so I dont know. I had her skip the shampoo this morning so we will see how that goes. The shampoo has zinc in it, and Im worried that is drying her head too, maybe making it itch. I was wondering if I should have her only use that shampoo like twice a week and a moisturizing shampoo the other times. Tell me what you think and I will keep you all posted on how she does. She has beautiful hair so I would hate to have to cut it or something as she has dreams of being a rodeo queen.

I agree....this is NOT dandruff. I don't know which prescription shampoo your dermatologist gave your daughter but even the over-the-counter Neutrogena T/Gel Shampoo's directions state "Twice a week or as directed by your doctor", so yeah, maybe that will help to reduce the itching. Oh, and FYI - she doesn't have to "rinse and repeat" cuz that will just dry her scalp even more - just MHO.

I do have access to info on prescription medications, so I looked up a couple of prescription shampoos - "mild skin/scalp irritation, pruritus (itching), and scalp oilness OR dryness may occur." But I think the key here is to help keep her from scratching - not an easy thing to do, I know - OH, HOW I KNOW!

Again, I have to state - so I don't get kicked off here for trying to give medical advice to anyone - I'm no expert....the coconut oil worked for me and if it could help someone else...great! If not...then go back to the dermatologist. But don't give up!

Oh, and gosh no! You shouldn't have to cut her hair because of this....a rodeo queen, huh?!
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 15:20

BF:

Thanks for the help actually, I know this would get better if she would just quit the scratching. It will start to heal up and then scratch scratch scratch and we are back to full blown again. Im going to really watch her on this spring break and see if we cant get these days in without scratching and that will probably help a ton. Thanks again
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 08:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

Just noticed this thread again -- I've been using coconut oil on my scalp (no outbreaks of sebbhorea since I started using it!) and on my face.

I typically use coconut oil as a night cream (slather it on my face before I go to bed) and under my makeup in the morning (lots less then!) -- and my face has stayed reasonably clear throughout this time. I have some problems right now with my eyebrows (above the nose) -- I started massaging some in there yesterday -- doubt that much coconut oil was htting that particular spot....

My face was also quite red (from the prescription cortisones that I had been using -- thin skin) -- and so I apply an aloe-comfrey gel to the red areas, then rub in the coconut oil -- my skin is looking considerably better and acutally losing a lot of the redness!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 13:11

Hi Bonnie! So glad to hear that the coconut oil is working for you! I'm sooo hoping that it will help the others on here recently as well. Thanks for coming back and updating!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 02:31
Registered Member

Stats: 279/279/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

wow i thought i was the only one with this! i had constant thick chunky flakes since college -- it was like cradle cap that babies get. it was in my eyebrows and behind my ears too. no dandruff shampoo worked ever! the prescription mousse and shampoo just burned.

i always assumed it was candida related because it was much worse when i was under stress and eating junk food. so when i read about how great coconut oil is for controlling candida i decided to slop it on my scalp and face -- what a miracle! crust free for over a week now. i feel a tad bit shiny but it is worth it.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 09:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim0ne
wow i thought i was the only one with this! i had constant thick chunky flakes since college -- it was like cradle cap that babies get. it was in my eyebrows and behind my ears too. no dandruff shampoo worked ever! the prescription mousse and shampoo just burned.

i always assumed it was candida related because it was much worse when i was under stress and eating junk food. so when i read about how great coconut oil is for controlling candida i decided to slop it on my scalp and face -- what a miracle! crust free for over a week now. i feel a tad bit shiny but it is worth it.

SWEET!!!
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-05, 11:49

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I found a home remedy that works for itching and dandruff. Some people build up a sensitivity to all the chemicals they put in dyes, perms, shampoo, hairsprays and face creams; this works for those types of people.

mix: (estimate really - my DW just dumps a bit in a small 4 oz bottle)

baby shampoo - 4 oz
tsp to a tbsp of jojobo oil
tsp to a tbsp of tea tree oil

Shake before each use. Shampoo thoroughly, let on 5 minutes. Keep out of eyes because of the tree oil. No conditioners, hairspray, or other stuff. The jojobo oil is the conditioner, it may take a few days to notice it though. Most flakes disapear in 3 days and if used everyday they are not noticeable and it does help with itching. Use everday.

The tea tree oil should be from the Melaleuca alternifolia tree and should have less than 3% cineole. (There are some bad tea tree oils on the market.) Tree oil shampoos do not have enough tree oil in them to help.

She had the eyebrow scale, ear scale, scale everywhere. She stopped using cleansers and moisterizes on her face and let it be dry - her worst fear. (she just scrubs with a wet washcloth and no cleanser - once a week she uses a little dab of tree oil on the cloth) All the scale went away. It made me wonder if all the creams and lotions are actually causing the problem. Her skin is not dry anymore.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-05, 03:14

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Demi - Hi! Give it a few tries and then let me know how it goes.

Just to let you know that it does seem to be helping - much less itchy and flaky
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-05, 09:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoseyMan
I found a home remedy that works for itching and dandruff. Some people build up a sensitivity to all the chemicals they put in dyes, perms, shampoo, hairsprays and face creams; this works for those types of people.

mix: (estimate really - my DW just dumps a bit in a small 4 oz bottle)

baby shampoo - 4 oz
tsp to a tbsp of jojobo oil
tsp to a tbsp of tea tree oil

Shake before each use. Shampoo thoroughly, let on 5 minutes. Keep out of eyes because of the tree oil. No conditioners, hairspray, or other stuff. The jojobo oil is the conditioner, it may take a few days to notice it though. Most flakes disapear in 3 days and if used everyday they are not noticeable and it does help with itching. Use everday.

The tea tree oil should be from the Melaleuca alternifolia tree and should have less than 3% cineole. (There are some bad tea tree oils on the market.) Tree oil shampoos do not have enough tree oil in them to help.

She had the eyebrow scale, ear scale, scale everywhere. She stopped using cleansers and moisterizes on her face and let it be dry - her worst fear. (she just scrubs with a wet washcloth and no cleanser - once a week she uses a little dab of tree oil on the cloth) All the scale went away. It made me wonder if all the creams and lotions are actually causing the problem. Her skin is not dry anymore.

Moseyman - Wow! That's great! As for the "creams and lotions", have you ever read the list of ingredients - Yikes! Chemical after chemical after chemical! Sheesh!

I DO have some Tea tree oil - nasty-smellin' stuff! - but I have no clue as to where to get the jojoba oil - any suggestions? We also keep baby shampoo on-hand 'cuz we watch our 19-month-old GD four nights a week and she has this "thing" about rubbing ketchup in her hair! Anyway, my youngest son (15) has been trying the coconut oil on his scalp off and on for awhile now but, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be helping much - he's not as itchy but, then again, he doesn't have the thick white patches on his scalp either, just irritated areas. So maybe trying your wife's "recipe" might be helpful for him!

Demi - Glad to hear that it (the coconut oil) IS helping w/ the flaking and itching! Moseyman above also seems to have something worth trying!

2brickie - How's your dgtr's scalp doing?
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-05, 09:49

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Ellen,

I get all those odd oils at local health food store and they are available online too. I hope your son has the same luck as my DW.

I have read the ingredients in most of my products and I threw them all away. "They" used to say products did not penetrate the skin but since the transdermal patch came out - I think that's going to change. I am very careful now what I use on my body. I read the razors with the lotion strips are the worst offenders - because of shaving, that stuff goes right into the blood stream easily. How true any of it really is - is hard to tell. But I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Your GD is cute as a button!

PS - if you have tree oil and baby shampoo - you could give it a try with just that. If he doesnt have dry hair, he may not need jojobo oil anyway (The Jojobo oil helps rinse out flakes and condition the scalp and hair, but it is more for dry hair)

Last edited by MoseyMan : Sun, Apr-24-05 at 11:46.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-05, 12:26

MoseyMan - I think you're right about leaving out the Jojoba oil - at this point, I don't really think my son is THAT concerned about "conditioning" his hair! lol I'll mix up a "batch" this afternoon and have him try it when he showers this evening! (I can see him rolling his eyes already - "What?! You want me to try ANOTHER concoction?! Moooom!")

Thanks for the comment about our GD! She's entering the "Terrible Two's", so there are times when it's a GOOD thing she's just so darn cute!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-05, 12:52

BF:

Hey update, we have went from terrible terrible to almost completely gone. The derm doctor is just amazed. We did quit using the medicated shampoo every day, and she is now using a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, the results are amazing. Thank goodness for this forum and the coconut oil. I have even been using it on her skin as she has these funny little bumps on the backs of her arms and its really helping there too. Thanks again I will keep you all posted