Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 19:53

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 245/245/160
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Q about multigrain and fibre

Hi, I new to this forum. I have tried the atkins diet for a few days but felt so shakey and sick on the third day that I decided not to continue (I guess it just wasn't the right choice for me), I also found it to be very strict. Reading through the Zone website and the book "A week in the Zone" I think that I just might be able to do this diet.

I have a few questions regarding reading the labels on food products and the proper way to count carbs.

I decided to take an hour and go through the grocery store to read labels and get an idea of what foods would make good blocks and came across and few items that I wanted to run by someone with more experience with the Zone. I understand that when counting the carbs you are to subtract the dietary fibre, so with that understanding "All bran" cereal would be low enough in carbs (because of the high dietary fibre) that it would be acceptable for breakfast if properly balanced. Am I correct?

Also I cam across quite a bit of multigrain products that were low in carbs, for instance I came across a brand of multigrain bread that only has 19 grams of carns after dietary fibre is subtracted and a brand of multigrain cracker that was quite a bit lower in carbs than other, is this also acceptable?

Please forgive me if these questions seem a bit silly, I really have very little experience with Low carb living.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 23:49

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Re: Q about multigrain and fibre

Quote:
Originally posted by jacey
Reading through the Zone website and the book "A week in the Zone" I think that I just might be able to do this diet.

As with anything, there is a learning curve, but with practice it becomes 2nd nature. Don't worry about messing up. The motto is "You're only one meal away from the Zone".
Quote:
Originally posted by jacey I decided to take an hour and go through the grocery store to read labels and get an idea of what foods would make good blocks and came across and few items that I wanted to run by someone with more experience with the Zone.

Sounds like a daunting task!
Quote:
Originally posted by jacey I understand that when counting the carbs you are to subtract the dietary fibre, so with that understanding "All bran" cereal would be low enough in carbs (because of the high dietary fibre) that it would be acceptable for breakfast if properly balanced. Am I correct?

That is correct. No foods are forbidden. And yes the fiber is always subtracted. You may find that cereal or cereal in general doesn't give you enough "volume" ~ then again maybe not. I need to eat "bulkier" foods to stay satisfied longer. Therefore, oatmeal is my "cereal" of choice. Some people feel too full on oatmeal... it's how YOU feel 3-4 hours after consuming a meal. Lack of hunger and mental focus/clarity are barometers.
Quote:
Originally posted by jacey Also I cam across quite a bit of multigrain products that were low in carbs, for instance I came across a brand of multigrain bread that only has 19 grams of carns after dietary fibre is subtracted and a brand of multigrain cracker that was quite a bit lower in carbs than other, is this also acceptable?

Those are acceptable, but I think you can find a better bread; or was that for 2 slices?. Is Natural Ovens brand available in your area? (check their website). Many of their breads are 9 carbs per slice(which means you can eat more ) and they're VERY good.
Quote:
Originally posted by jacey Please forgive me if these questions seem a bit silly

Not at all. Ya gotta ask questions to learn!
Quote:
Originally posted by jacey Thank you

You're welcome.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 14:35

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 245/245/160
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
That is correct. No foods are forbidden. And yes the fiber is always subtracted. You may find that cereal or cereal in general doesn't give you enough "volume" ~ then again maybe not. I need to eat "bulkier" foods to stay satisfied longer. Therefore, oatmeal is my "cereal" of choice. Some people feel too full on oatmeal... it's how YOU feel 3-4 hours after consuming a meal. Lack of hunger and mental focus/clarity are barometers.

I am a little confused about oatmeal, all of the information I have found says that slow cooked oatmeal is the best, but I have noticed that instant oatmeal seems to have a good portion of carb blocks and only a small amount of protien, do we have to use slow cooked oatmeal?

Quote:
Those are acceptable, but I think you can find a better bread; or was that for 2 slices?. Is Natural Ovens brand available in your area? (check their website). Many of their breads are 9 carbs per slice(which means you can eat more ) and they're VERY good.

Sorry, that was 19 grams of carbs (total) and 3.0 grams of dietery fibre for 2 slices. ("presidents choice, too good to be true" multi grain bread)

Thanks for the reply
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 23:39

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally posted by jacey
I am a little confused about oatmeal, all of the information I have found says that slow cooked oatmeal is the best, but I have noticed that instant oatmeal seems to have a good portion of carb blocks and only a small amount of protien, do we have to use slow cooked oatmeal?

The reason slow cooked / or steel cut oats are preferred is because they are less processed. Therefore, it takes your body longer to "process" them, thus reducing the sugar spike and keeping you satisfied longer. Steel cut oats also gives you more GLA. If the highly processed, instant oatmeal is working for you, that is fine.
Quote:
Thanks for the reply

Anytime