Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 19:28

Plan: Sugar Busters Cookies and Sugar Busters Lean Shakes
Stats: 130/115/110
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Feel Better WIth Sugar Buster's

SInce I started the Sugar Busters suggestion of cutting Sugar, it's been hard. I have been using the cookies and they seem to curb my appetite. I also don't crave sugar as much. If I slip and eat alot of sugar in a day, I feel ragged. They also have new shakes but I haven't gotten mine yet to see how they taste.
Even my kids eat the cookies and don't seem to crave sugar alot. When my teen turns down sweets, that's a blessing.
I also heard that Suzanne Somers recommends cheese in place of sugar treats and my kids seem to like the cheese.
The sugar makes a difference with ADD/ADHD I'm sure, because my 2 year old is a terror when he gets more than 10-20 grams.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 17:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/245/145 Female 5'7"
BF:99%I'm pretty sure
Progress: -12%

My 2 year old is the same way! Just bouncing off the wall with too much sugar. People think it's funny to offer him candy all the time and sneak it to him as well, including his grandma! She's the worst! It really makes me mad because Im the one that has to deal with his "reaction". And if they ask me in front of him if he can have candy then I have to look like the bad guy for saying NO! I wish people would learn what a pain that can be. I need to make a big sign that sticks to his shirt that says "NO SUGAR! - BUSTER!" or "IM A LITTLE SUGARBUSTER!".
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 17:58

BF:
Cool Little Sugar Buster

That's a good idea about the shirt. I should ask the company if they will make shirts for kids. They make them for adults in denim and polo shirts. I guess we could use our own computers and create one ourselves. What a GREAT IDEA! I'm not too computer savvy but that's worth the hard work trying to figure out!
I work in the school cafeteria here in GA and I'll say about 1/2 of all our students buy ice cream every day. This really upsets me but I hae to sell it anyway because it's a part of my job. Some don't even put a fruit or veggie on their plate.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 21:56

OH! That is sad to me too. I know lots of kids that play with my son eat garbage all the time. They just live on crackers and over processed chicken nuggets. Their parents consider healthy food those yogurt things that squirt out and friut chews for fruit!

My son hasn't ever even seen white bread! He eats lots of fruit. I really think it takes training. I don't expect everyone's kids to just start eating fruit when they say to. I never give my son junk if he hasn't eaten good. Today's lunch was sandwich w/ homemade turkey noodle soup.

I don't know why they even sell that crap to kids in schools. My motto is that you put out the healthy food, if they're really and truly hungry they will eat it. If my son wants something to eat, the first thing he suggests is junk usually, so I test him and tell him I'll feed him some broccoli. If he says okay then I know he's really hungry. And then, I really do feed him broccoli.

I thought the same thing about my Sugarbuster sayings. I should call the company and see if they'd like to buy my idea!$$ heehee
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 16:30

BF:
Default Sugar Buster's Shakes in a Can for My Kids

I just ordered some Sugar Buster's Lean Shakes for my kids to take the place of chocolate milk. Chocolate milk in an 8 oz carton at school has around 20 grams of sugar. I can put this in a thermos and I hope they will like it. It's brand new, so I haven't even tasted it yet. I only ordered it Saturday. I expect it will be good because Sugar Busters seems to be going strong. I ordered mine from www.southern-heritage.com/117629. I understand this is a wellness company and that they sell cookies as well. Lucky Me. Haven't seen them in stores!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 09:04

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default I sure hope that I don't offend anyone here ...

and maybe this is just my personal crusade for eating real food vs processed food.

I was rather disappointed to see the Authors consent to the development of pre-packaged shakes and cookies. (I was also not impressed with Southern Heritage's aggressive solicitation of the SB Message Boards when the cookies were first unveiled)

One of the things I liked about SB was the Author's stance about getting processed food out of the daily diet. And while it may be an improvement over what the kids have been eating, I just can't reconcile eating a cookie as a meal replacement with that stance.

I absolutely agree that our children have been bombarded with garbage cleverly disguised as food. But I think we can replace that with real food rather than something else that is processed.

It doesn't take long to whip up a batch of Whole Grain Oatmeal cookies or a nice healthy Blueberry Bran Muffin... Or its pretty easy to keep raw veggies and dip on hand (my kids would eat anything if they could dip it) or chunks of cheese. How about keeping small bottles of juice handy in the fridge? Containers of unsweetened applesauce or fresh fruit?

There are a lot of other choices that we can offer that will assist them to wean themselves off of the junk.

Just my 2 cents...

molly (who is now getting off of her soap box)
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 09:57

BF:
Default Cookies and Shakes

Molly, I understand what you're saying. I just thought these would make great TREATS. I would never use them as a meal replacement for a child. Some adults on the go could benefit from them I would think. As opposed to not eating anything at all. Sometimes it's all in the mind. It would be just as easy to grab an apple, banana, or ooother piece of fruit. I still want to give it a try. Even juices these days have tons of sugar unless you can find ones that do not. Any suggestions on low sugar juices. I want to try the Sugar Busters shakes just for the protein and energy when I'm on the go and need something quick. My husband skips meals too so I hope he will at least get some benefit from shakes. I trust that these doctors don't endorse junk. When I get my brochure, I'll know more about them.
Just my 2 cents.
Have a great day!
Glenda
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 21:47

Quote:
One of the things I liked about SB was the Author's stance about getting processed food out of the daily diet.

Mee too. This is one thing that appeals to me about this program. I'm not the type to buy many prepackaged processed foods for my family at all. I'm trying really hard to stick to that mindset of whole and healthy, and if we want cookies, homemade oatmeal sweetened with raisins and applesauce are yummy.

Another thing I want to cut out of our diets is SOY. I heard so many bad things about it, about the amounts of estrogen being so high. But I know that money has gotten in the way of the truth being told about this product because soy is in EVERYTHING now, and it's scaring me a bit. I notice that our vegetable oil is now soy oil and our mayonnaise is now from soy as well. It's taking over, it's cheap to grow and cheap for the manufacturers to buy.

It just reminds me of how sugar took over. Soy is taking over under the guise of being healthy. The ones saying that soy is healthy are the same ones saying that a low fat diet is what we should eat! Any thoughts?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 09:10

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

Thar is so true! The ones who are saying Soy is good is also saying Low fat high Carb is good too!

I have always tried to feed my kids healthy meals. But mostly, I have tried to teach them when to eat, and why they are eating. As a child, I ate out of boredom. Sitting in front of the TV munching away on any thing and eveything.

Now, when my kids tell me they are hungry, I tell them it is an hour before supper. You can wait. I try to get them busy with a game which will keep them busy while I start cooking supper. When I was a kid, and I told my mom I was hungry an hour before supper, she would give me anything I wanted to eat!

I now kids need snacks, but when I am starting to cook supper, that is not the time to have a snack. They can wait.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 17:02

BF:

Carianne & Kelley:
I so agree with you about the soy. The verdict may still be out but I am not impressed with what I am reading so far.

Glenda:
I buy Juicy Juice 100% Juice for my grandbaby when he visits. No added sugar and he loves all the flavors.

molly
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 18:16

BF:
Default Juicy Juice

Mollie,
Thanks for the heads up on Juicy Juice.
I was just wondering if it really was 100% juice or if the 10 percent juice in it is actually 100% juice.
Thanks, Glenda
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 18:39

BF:
Default Hi Glenda!

I just checked the bottle I have in the fridge and it appears to be 100% Juice.

At Halloween I got small juice boxes of Apple Juice to put in my grandbaby's trick or treat bag. He really enjoyed that. They would be great to keep on hand for your little ones.

molly